Rome to Paris via train or plane

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide whether to take the Artesia Night train with a 2 bed coach from Rome to Paris for $209/each vs. fly on one of the cheap airlines for $119/each. I am worried about the low luggage criteria for the plane, though I like the idea of being there in 2 hours. I wonder if I could really sleep on a coach bed on a train and will I wake up everytime it stops at a station. The extra $200 spent for the train would have gone to another night in a hotel anyway. I also don't have to worry about luggage weight. Are the beds clean? Do they provide a clean blanket and pillow? Will I miss my morning shower? But, will I enjoy the countryside view in the early evening and early morning?
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 12:16 AM

Well, in reality, if you fly you certainly won't be there in 2 hours. Make it more like 5 hours! The trek to the airport is an hour, check-in is now 1-2 hours, baggage reclaim, another slow trek into the city at the other end by metro. Hassle, hassle, hassle.

The sleeper train is city centre to city centre, you save a hotel bill, a sleeping-car on a night train is one of the most romantic ways to travel (although I stress this is a 'genuine' A to B train not a $2000 deluxe tourist experience!). There's also a restaurant car.

No trek to the airport, no baggage fees, no check-in fees, no being treated like a suspect at the airpot and a naughty child on board. Take your own picnic and favourite bottle of wine on board, it's allowed. Enjoy the evening on board the train, and the scenery along the River Yonne next morning over breakfast.

The Rome-Paris sleeper train is an experience, the traditional way between these cities from long before the Wright Brothers took off. Whether you love it or not when you do it (I have to admit I wish Artesia was run by Eipsos or City Night Line!), you'll have had the experience, not just another same-old same-old homogenised flight. That's what travel should be about, experiences!

You'll see what the train looks like, with tips & advice, on www.seat61.com/Italy.htm - look for the illustrated guide to the Paris-Italy night trains at the bottom of the page.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! You've convinced me to book the night train. I am excited about it now. Hopefully there are still tickets available.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 07:42 AM

I prefer to fly from FCO to Paris.Iam never able to sleep when I travel.For me that is the only way to go.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

I've seen comments about buying the ticket from the country you depart. Does this mean the country your train departs (Italy) or the country I departed from or where I live? Also, it says you can buy the sleeper tickets up to 45 days before departure. Does this really mean I can't buy it 57 days before the departure?
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 09:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
International tickets from Italy purchased on Trenitalia must be picked up in Italy.

>>>PLEASE NOTE: International tickets may be bought on this site and picked up at the self-service tellers in the Italian stations only. <<<<

>>>Also, it says you can buy the sleeper tickets up to 45 days before departure. Does this really mean I can't buy it 57 days before the departure?<<<

Where are you seeing this? I just selected a random date the end of May on Trenitalia and was able to select sleeping arrangements (depends on type of fare you are selecting as some sale fares may be sold out).
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 10:08 PM

Booking should open 90 days before departure, I'm not sure why it says 45! If you're starting at the Italian end, you can try booking at www.trenitalia.com.

You can also book at www.tgv-europe.com, UNLESS you're from the USA, as they send tickets to anywhere (incuding Afghanistan, N Korea and Outer Mongolia) EXCEPT the US, to avoid treading on the toes of their subsidiary Rail Europe.com.

You can book at www.raileurope.com (US) or equivalent in other countries, but fares for this train always seem much higher on RE than booking direct with Trenitalia or SNCF.