Rome to Florence

Jan 12th, 2005, 08:31 AM
RetiredTwosome

Rome to Florence

Our travelling companions are finding the connecting flight from Rome to Florence to be extremely expensive for the dates we will travel.
Could anyone give us travel directions (rail, etc) from the airport in Rome to Florence. Would it be extremely tiresome, costly??
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Jan 12th, 2005, 08:37 AM

I will be travelling from Rome to Florence by train immediately after landing. Most people on here feel that the trip is easy enough. You will need to take the train from the airport to the Rome train station (Stazione Termini?) and then hop onto a train that goes to Florence. Travel from Rome to Florence is 1.5 - 2hrs I believe?
Jan 12th, 2005, 08:47 AM

This site may be helpful to you as far as train schedules and how much...
http://www.raileurope.com/us/index.htm
I've been doing a lot of research for info over the net cause we are clueless. My hubby and I are going March-April.
Jan 12th, 2005, 08:57 AM

Eurostar from Rome Termini station to Florence Santa Maria Novella station is only a 90 minute trip. I think it's a pretty good, fast, economical way to travel.

BC
Jan 12th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Taking the train from Rome to Florence is easy. There are many trains each day on the route, so there's no need to buy your tickets in advance. The station is right in the airport--just follow the signs. I can't remember what the signs say, but someone else will probably post this. You can buy your ticket all the way through to Florence right in the airport. The ticket agents speak English and are used to dealing with Americans. Tickets are sold close to the platform where you board the train. When you get to Termini, you change for the train to Florence. This is a brief description of the process, there many posts on the subject in the archives. Try typing <train from Rome to Florence> into the searchbox at the top of the page. Many posts will appear on the left hand side of your page. One Fodorite named GAC frequently posts detailed info on the Italian train system, so you might try typing <GAC> (without the little arrow thingies) into the search box. Taking the train for this journey would be my preferred way to travel. It's neither tiresome nor costly.
Jan 12th, 2005, 09:24 AM
ira

Hi RT,

I believe that there are suggestions on Helpful Information: Italy http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34443340

However, the train from FCO is the Leonardo da Vinci express. It leaves on the X:07 and the X:37.
It arrives on its own track. You have to walk to the head of the station and turn right to get to the other trains. This will take about 10 min.

Train schedules and prices from Rome TE to Florence SMN are at www.trenitalia.com/en

You can buy your ticket to Florence at the same time you buy your ticket to Rome at the FCO airport.

We did this on our last trip to Italy. Allow 3 1/2 hr from the time your plane is scheduled to arrive to get to Rome TE and you won't be disappointed.

Have a nice trip.