Rome to Capri! HELP!!!!

Search

Rome to Capri! HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2003, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome to Capri! HELP!!!!

Here is my dilema!!!! it's our honeymoon and the first place is Rome! We're staying in a B&B at Trastevere! I've heard nice things about it. After 3 days we are going to Capri, but the question is, should we rent a car to drive to Naples? After Capri we are definetly driving up to Florence, so we need a car. But where to leave the car? Naples? Before taking the ferry to Capri we want to walk through Naples and Positano.... and take the last ferry to Capri! So the car may be helpfull to leave the luggage while we walk aroud.
What should we do? Rent the car after Capri? Where is a good location to rent it? Naples's airport? We are going to return the car in Rome.
Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You wrote: "Before taking the ferry to Capri, we want to walk through Naples and Positano..." This doesn't make sense geographically. Perhaps you meant to say something else...?

You don't need a car to get from Rome to Naples, Naples to Florence or Florence to Rome unless you want to stop in several places. The three journeys are easy and fast by train.

You could use a car to drive from Naples to Positano and back, but there are alternatives. You can ferry to Capri, then ferry to Positano. From Positano to Naples you could take the bus and Circumvesuviana, hire a driver or even take ferries back to Naples.
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi
Jean, thank you....
but I was thinking about going to day trips to Siena and some places around Florence, once we'll be there for 4 days!
What would you recomend? We are leaving Roma tuesday morning... waht should we do? We have reservation in Capri for tuesday and wednesday... Thursday morning we leave and go to Florence, there we will stay untill sunday morning.
hat would you recomend us to do? Stop where? visit what?
THANKS FOR THE HELP!
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:20 AM
ira

Hi Chanda,

You can take a bus from Florence to Siena and another bus to Lucca. The train to Pisa is convenient.

If you will be in Florence for only 4 days, you can't make too many trips and still see Florence.

From previous posts:
Purchase bus tickets for Lucca at Lazzi Bus line at Pza Adua opposite east side of SMN station

Purchase bus tickets for trip to Siena at SITA Bus Line ask for the Siena Rapido
SITA Bus station is on Via S. Caterina. Go past FSMN on opposite side of street and stay to right. Walk to corner of Via della Scala.
Old May 21st, 2003, 02:03 PM

Chanda,a car on Capri is useless, take the train from Rome to Naples about 1 hour on the Euro Star, then take the hydrfoil to Capri here is a helpful site for Capri: www.caprionline.com ;
it lists hotels hydrfoil schedules etc. be sure to check the hydrfoil schedule before you leave to make sure it's current.
A car in not really necessary in Florence unless you want to drive to a lot of the small hill towns in Tuscany, for Siena you can take the bus it drops you off in a centeral location in the town of Siena.
Remember parking can be a bitch in Florence and add x-tra costs to your holiday.
Happy honeymoon
Fluffy
Old May 21st, 2003, 02:08 PM

skip the car......public transit will work for you........good luck!
Old May 21st, 2003, 02:16 PM

Chanda, as a post script I thought I would let you know it is possible to fly from the Naples airport into the small airport outside of Florence
(about 15min. or so) and if you really want to rent a car you can rent one at the Florence airport.
Here are some websites if you decide to consider flying: www.air-one.com www.volareairlines.com
Best of luck
Fluffy
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:52 AM

The best way to Lucca is not by bus, it is by train. Much more frequent and cheaper, no need to book seats.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:29 AM

Chanda, a bit off topic, but what is the name of the B&B you are staying at in Trastevere? Would you be kind enough to share price and website/e-mail address info on the place? Thank you. Also any info you have on your hotel in Capri. I'm planning a trip for my daughter and her new husband and would appreciate this info very much.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:38 AM
ira

Hi Alice,

You say that it is better to take the train to Lucca rather than the bus.

Others have said the bus is better because it takes you into town & the train sttion is out of town.

Have you done the trip yourself? I'd appreciate a first-hand recommendation.

Thanks
Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:43 AM

I take that train line several times every two weeks. Despite the fact that I live in Milano, my fiancé lives in Pistoia, halfway between Lucca and Florence. The Lucca station is not at all out of town (we often go there for a few hours off from our communal work at the bookshop), it is right in front of the walls: as you exit the station, you have the walls right in front of you. Trains are very frequent, one every 40 minutes or so. Am I supposed to name all the stops the train makes on its way? I can recite them at least until Pescia (including Zambra and Il Neto).
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Hey guys! Thank you VERY VERY much.... I'm leaving in 5 days, as soon I can back I'll post the news!
JmVikmanis, my pleasure, I'm staying in a small apartment in TRastavere, i found in www.romeby.com very good site! The B&B name is La Mana. The lady gave me a special for the apartment! 300.00 euros for 4 nights!
Excellent!
If you need anything else, let me know!
Good Luck!
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:49 PM

Roma to Capri- take the Eurostar to Naples (2.5 hrs, not 1 hr) then take a taxi down to the port (you can walk, but it is a goog 1/2 hour and would be horrid with luggage in the heat) then catch the next boat to capri (don't worry if it is a hydrofoil or not, I actually prefer the slower open air boats) I would also take the train to Florence from Naples. A car is going to be a real pain in the ass. You do not want (or need) a car for any of the places you have mentioned. If you want to rent a car, do it once you are in Florence, but not sooned.
Old May 30th, 2003, 01:49 PM
ira

Dear Alice,

Thank you for your advice. I shall change my transportation plan.

No need to name all the stops. I trust you.