Rome the week before Easter

Oct 21st, 2007, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Rome the week before Easter

Hi, I'm planning a possible trip to Rome and the Amalfi Coast but it will need to be the week before Easter (would be leaving for home on Easter) and was wondering how "different" Rome is at that time. Is is much more crowded? worse than in the summer? Are prices elevated at hotels and restaurants? Lines longer? Anything else?

I've decided the Amalfi coast needs to be a March trip (I can only travel in March and in the summer) due to crowds during the summer. But we could put this trip off till the following year (go somewhere else this year) when my March week off would probably not be the week before Easter.

Any opinions. Thanks
Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Oct 22nd, 2007, 03:04 AM

Easter is a *huge* time in Rome. It's probably better than in summer only because it's less hot and stifling. Almost all hotels have (higher) special rates at Easter, but restaurant prices should not be higher. Expect traffic snafus on Good Friday, when the pope goes to the Colosseum.

Ditto with higher hotel prices on the Amalfi Coast.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 03:14 AM

Hi

Anytime is a good time for Rome But it looks like there is always tourists in Rome and Easter time is a popular time for e.g. us Norwegians to travel as we have a few days of work and it is a short trip to southern Europe. But I'm sure you will have a great time anyway Here is my Rome trip report with pictures and links from a couple of years back: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Oct 22nd, 2007, 09:02 AM

I'll be in both places that week as well.
Expect prices in Rome hotels and apartment rentals to be 20-30% higher for the "holiday week".

I do expect Rome to be very crowded, but it's the only week we can travel as well and at least the airfare is less expensive than in summer.

I don't expect the Amalfi coast to be as crowded as in summer, especially since it will be March (Easter is early this year). I did not find "high season" prices to be in effect yet for that week in Hotels in Positano for example.

As for restaurants, I don't think they really raise their prices for "high season", do they?