Rome Taxi Question

May 5th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Rome Taxi Question

I will be going from FCO to a nearby hotel, so no flat rate charge. Will this be the higher rate of zone 2 or whatever it is called? It'll also be late at night....so there is an extra fee?

Also, the next day we'll be taking a cab from the hotel (Courtyard) to Termini area. Is there any flat rate? What kind of price might we expect if the meter is running?

I keep reading horror stories about the cabbies trying to charge more to naive tourists, so I'd like to arm myself with some information.
May 5th, 2011, 03:11 PM

Your staying at Marriott Courtyard at FCO? Here is a transportation page for them:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/...-rome-airport/

Scroll to the bottom for all the relevant information.

There is a shuttle bus timetable that lists the fee as 6 euro per person.

You could shuttle back to the airport, then take the Leonardo Express to Termini.

Or pay the flat fee from your hotel to the Termini area, where I guess you have another hotel. But if you are taking the train, it is foolish to take a taxi to Termini.

Ask the hotel to secure the fee for you before you get in the taxi.
May 5th, 2011, 03:14 PM

why don't you get in touch with your hotel first?
They might organize you a transfer at a flat reasonable rate...
When it comes to taking a taxi in Rome, i had bad experience too, with being overcharged.... even though i spoke italian...
May 5th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

I tried to email the hotel, but just got a canned response from here in the US

I did see that they had a shuttle, but bad reviews about it online. Apparently it is difficult to find and not frequent. We're arriving somewhat late and just want to get to hotel and sleep!

That could be possible to go back to FCO and catch the train since our hotel is right near Termini.

Alternatively, I didn't know that your hotel could secure the fee for you!
May 5th, 2011, 05:27 PM

I believe that you worry too much..I have taken many taxis and never got ripped off.
May 5th, 2011, 06:27 PM

The first part of your question is not about Rome, but about Fiumicino (a different city, but also part of the airport name). Taxis from the airport to Rome center are a set fee (was 40€, but is increasing to 45€) for four people including luggage. That is for a Comune Roma taxi. City of Fiumicino taxis used to be able to charge more (about 60€), I suppose because they must return to their home base. I don't know Comne Fiumicino rates now as the airport website no longer lists it. Limo shuttles charge about the same thing as a Comune Roma taxi for up to three passengers. You can book one of those to pick you up at the Courtyard.

From the airport re: taxis.
http://www.adr.it/static/en/portal/p...axi_FCO.1.html

Shuttle that gets good reviews on Fodor's.
http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/...t-transfer.php

The tariff rates are on this pdf link, but in Italian only (start on page 3). I think you can figure it out. YOu can see the start rates are less during the day than at night (22:00-7:00) and that they are allowed to charge for baggage (1.04€) unlike the taxis from the airport to Rome. I have no way of knowing if the cities website is up to date so the rates may be old.
http://www.comune.fiumicino.rm.gov.i...8140d36c15.pdf
May 5th, 2011, 06:28 PM

kismet, I've taken many taxis, too, and have been ripped off in Rome. It may be anecdotal, but the anecdotes report that it really does happen.

What I meant by "secure the fee" was that if you are concerned about getting the flat fee into the city, you could ask the hotel to help you with that. Perhaps they could speak to the driver or tell you what you should be paying.

Have you traveled before?
May 5th, 2011, 06:31 PM

The last link is for city of Fiumicino taxis rates, not Rome. If you need a link for Rome's rates, post back.
May 5th, 2011, 06:37 PM

ky: I think twiggers was referring to the hotel's airport shuttle.

twiggers, yes those airport shuttles can be less than perfect, especially, in my experience, at FCO. However, the hotel's own transportation page that I linked above for you gives the approximate cost of a taxi from the airport to the hotel as 15 euro. So for only 3 euro more than hotel's airport shuttle, two people can take a taxi from the airport to the airport hotel.

I apologize for my rude statement above. It seemed to me that if I could find all your hotel's transportation information in just a moment, that perhaps you were inexperienced.

Now, why stay at FCO at all? To save the cost of a late night taxi? I don't think you will be saving anything because you have to pay to get to Marriott in the first place.

Why not use the very good service link that kybourbon provided above, and see how much they would charge to pick you up late at the airport, and take you right to your hotel near Termini?

One more thought: are you sure your flight arrives too late for you to get the Leonardo Express from FCO to Termini?
May 5th, 2011, 07:36 PM

Tuscanlife..

Have I traveled before?
I hope that you are kidding Tuscanlife..You are talking with a gal that has traveled and lived in various countries of the world..
May 5th, 2011, 07:38 PM

OOoops..sorry Tuscanlife..I thought that you were referring to me..Mea Culpa..
May 5th, 2011, 07:55 PM

Tuscan - I thought she was talking about taking the hotel shuttle in to Rome the next day (which has a fee). As for using it from the airport to the Courtyard, it's been my experience at many European airports that the airport hotels only run shuttles until 10 pm or so. Twiggers said she would be late so I would e-mail the Courtyard to see how late the shuttle runs.
May 5th, 2011, 10:51 PM

OK should you decide to go to Rome and overnight near Termini, instead of Fiumicino, you could use one of the privaye companies that run mini busses between the Airport and the center of Rome. I always used << Airport Shuttle>>, they have a very competitive rate and they will drive you till the entrance of your hotel, or pick you up from there on your way back. Have a look at their website, they have also a counter at the arrivals hall... ( where you can find other similar companies too)
May 5th, 2011, 10:54 PM

here's the link to airport shuttle : http://www.airportshuttle.it
May 6th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I travel; however, I often use public transportation and this time I just don't want to bother (plus DH isn't a big train/bus person).

I'm staying at FCO because of a late arrival and I don't feel like paying the 300 euros for my Rome hotel for such a late arrival (seems like a waste of approx. 180 euros).

I want to avoid the hotel shuttle from FCO to the airport because it'll be late and we'll be tired and I don't want to bother with waiting for shuttles, etc. I just want to get my luggage, check into my hotel and sleep.

Therefore, I have no problem paying for a taxi, but I want to be sure that I'm not getting overcharged. In other words, I'd like to be an informed consumer re Rome taxis.

Regarding my trip to Rome in the morning, I was trying to figure out whether it would be better to get back to FCO and then do a cab from there.....or just go from hotel. My question was whether there was a rough amount I could count on. The suggestion to have the hotel negotiate the fee was helpful.

KY: You also have a great suggestion about maybe just having the hotel book a shuttle for us that may be a reasonable price from the hotel.
May 6th, 2011, 04:58 PM

We used Rome Shuttle Limousines last month. If your hotel is at the airport it should be 50 euros into Rome from the hotel (that is the cost from the airport into the city).
May 6th, 2011, 07:15 PM

We used Roma Cabs a year ago and have nothing but praise for them- 50 euros, driver was waiting for us upon our arrival ( and yes, he held a sign...), spoke English and took us to our (very small) hotel near the Piazza Navona which we would never have found without help, especially after a long flight from the West Coast and much jet lag. Worth every cent. I booked them from home before we left.
May 6th, 2011, 09:50 PM

twiggers we were caught out in Rome when we didn't have the right change for our driver (private car organised by the hotel) and the driver didn't have change. He actually pulled a completely empty wallet out of his pocket to show us that he couldn't give us any change. It was ridiculous and the wallet was obviously a back up wallet for such occasions. So anyway, the point is the make sure you have some smaller notes so that you can come up with the correct fare.
May 7th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

cathies: Thank you for that tip! I had read that and plan on having some smaller bills. I know the ATM tends to give big bills, but I have about 30 euros around the house.

You are all giving me a good idea....I'll contact Rome Cabs (using them later in the trip for a transport from port to the airport) and see what they'll charge to go from our hotel (near the airport, but not right at the airport) to Rome.
May 7th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

I emailed RomeCabs and was able to arrange a car service for 50 euros (same as if I was leaving from FCO). Now I don't need to worry.

Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier....thanks so much everyone!