Reload this Page >

rome,sorrento,florence,venice dream trip itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 07:54 PM
jim

I put together this itinerary from many of your wonderful suggestions. We welcome any input to finetune our trip.<BR>Please review this itinerary and offer input that would be useful.<BR><BR>aug 30 pgh to rome usair envoy with ff tix<BR>aug 31 arrive rome airport at 8:40am<BR> -airport-termini-naples-sorrento<BR> -using 1st class non smoking trains<BR> -relax in sorrento sat evening.<BR>sep 1 relax all day in sorrento<BR>sep 2 rental car to caserta<BR>sep 3 pompeii am relax rest of day<BR>sep 4 train or hydorfoil to naples then <BR> nonsmoking 1st class train to florence<BR> -evening relaxing in florence<BR>sep 5 all day in florence<BR>sep 6 rental car day trip to pisa,chianti or<BR> -train to sienna<BR>sep 7 non smoking 1rst class train to venice<BR> -evening in venice<BR>sep 8 all day in venice<BR>sep 9 all day in venice<BR>sep 10 nonsmoking 1st class train to rome<BR>sep 11 vatican and papal audience<BR>sep 12 old rome<BR>sep 13 taxi to airport... rome to home<BR><BR>Questions:<BR><BR>train package deals perphaps with 1 day rental cars included in sorrento and florence<BR>1rst class non smoking?<BR><BR>sorrento hotel recomendations?<BR>should we visit salerno and caserta?<BR><BR>florence hotel recommendations?<BR>day trip to sienna or chianti?<BR><BR>venice hotel recommendations?<BR>any suggestions about what to do?<BR><BR>rome hotel suggestions?<BR><BR>please note that we would like to stay under $200.00 per night for hotels.<BR><BR>we would like to keep our daily food and entertainment expense under $200.00.<BR><BR>we prefer non smoking 1rst class trains with lunch served on the naples to florence,florence to venice and venice to rome trips. Is this possible?<BR><BR>We had a great time in italy in 2000. That trip was geared more as a honeymoon. This trip will be more for relaxation,great foods and wine,enjoying the outdoor scenery and some museum touring in florence.<BR><BR>We welcome your suggestions on any portions of our trip. If you would like some tips on Sorrento,Capri or Rome near the Spanish Steps...feel free to ask.<BR><BR>jim<BR>[email protected]<BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR>

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 01:52 AM
Frank & Brenda

This itinerary will be absolutely exhausting & you will not see or do anything, except sit inside vehicles! Also, September will be very hot and crowded in Rome, Naples & Sorrento and just plain crowded everywhere else. Regardless of when you go, just do 2 or (at most) 3 adjacent areas in 12 days. Perhaps, Rome & Naples (including Caserta & Pompeii). Or - Florence, Siena, etc. Or - Venice. We visited Italy many times, usually from October to April (to avoid heat & crowds). Last March, we traveled to Naples (including Caserta & Pompeii), Sorrento, Capri & Amalfi over 17 days (using puplic transportation). Do Not drive a rental car in Naples. Drivers are insane & traffic is usually heavy & choatic. Suggestion: If you are locked into these dates, visit Florence, Siena & Tuscany for 6 or 7 days, then Rome. If crowds in Florence & Siena become overwhelming, drive the deserted back roads of Tuscany and stay in a small village for a day or two. If you can change your itinerary & want more specific information, send email request. Otherwise, hope that I'm wrong about the travel, heat & crowds. Good Luck!!!!

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:26 AM
james

Last June, we spent 10 days in Sorrento, Amalfi Coast and Pompeii (including a day trip to Naples). That was relaxation, food, wine and oudoor scenery.You'll be spending 12 days covering probably 2/3 of Italy.That is NOT relaxation. Do concentrate on one area of Italy and as you have been there in 2000, I'M sure you'll come back again and again to cover other areas. Good Luck.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:47 AM
Myer

I agree with the above. If this is a dream itinerary, it will turn out to be a bad dream. You will go to a few places and really not see any of them.<BR><BR>Once in Sorrento (I will return) spend some time in Capri, Amalfi Coast (Positano, Amalfi, Ravello).<BR><BR>In my opinion Florence is 1-2 days (1 very full day) before museums and Venice is at least 2 days of walking and going nowhere.<BR><BR>Relax and go back again.<BR>

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:59 AM
John

A dream trip? All that would be my worst nightmare!! Hey - slow down!!

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:21 AM
Alex

Jim, I agree with the others, you should concentrate on one or two areas. However September is a great time to go, the weather is usually great with perfect temperatures (some years it happens to be very hot with temperatures like in August, but that is not the norm). <BR>Sorrento (which is just a cute town) is a good homebase only IF you're doing Capri and the Amalfi coast (which are absolutly gorgeous and should be a must for people visiting southern Italy), otherwise to go there just for itself isn't worth it, Pompei and Caserta are far away so you'd rather pick Naples as a homebase there. People choose Sorrento mostly for its great logistic position: the Amalfi coast is very closed, you have trains for Pompei and you can easily reach Naples or its islands with hydrofoils, it is nice but IMO far from being the nicest place in that area. <BR>What I would suggest is to split your trip in 2 or mostly 3 areas:<BR>Being the weather at that time of the year great for beaches I would definitely keep the Naples area, and of course since you're landing there I would give Rome at least 4 days. Finally I would choose Florence (2 days) and Chianti + Siena (2 days) or even better save Florence for another trip and fully enjoy southern Tuscany. <BR>I would also save Caserta for another trip, the reggia is fantastic but it is located in a suburbian area that is far away, not pretty, and not that safe, Pompei + Amalfi + Capri + Naples require enough time to fully occupie you.<BR>Anyway, I hope you have a great trip and excuse my English, I'm from Germany.<BR>Buon viaggio!<BR><BR>

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:28 AM
Alex

By the way, rental cars is the way to go for the Amalfi coast ( you can rent one in Sorrento for a couple of days) and in southern Tuscany (you can rent it in Chiusi or Firenze). Use Eurostar trains to reach each one of those areas.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 11:56 AM
John G

One day in Rome? One day and an evening in Florence? Two days in Venice? NO NO NO! You need at least 5 days in each city. You also don't need to spend all day at the Vatican; it is doable in 4 hours. Also, you say you want to do some museum touring in Florence? In early Sept.? Well, you better get a reservation at the Uffizi, otherwise, you will stand in line for 2-3 hours to get in. You do realize that all of these cities will be packed with tourists at this time of year and you will have to WAIT to see or do anything. This will take up precious time. That is why I don't recommend spending so little time in the great cities like Flo, Rome, or Venice. If I were you I would start cutting. But, this is only MY opinion. Do what you will. HH

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 12:17 PM
Rex

I think that half of these comments are WAY too critical. The plan is not unreasonable at all. Where is all the "excessive" moving around? The first four nights in one place, then three nights, then two nights, then three nights in Rome before heading home. What do you mean one night in Rome? Did anyone really read what he posted?<BR><BR>As to the specific questions asked - - <BR><BR>rail and drive package? the Italy Rail'drive package from www.raileurope.com might be your best bet at $530 for two people (intermediate sized car), because you can get a one day rental for Sep 2, and then separately for Sep 6. One-day car rentals would otherwise be VERY expensive.<BR><BR>day trip to Siena or Chianti? - - I would do by car - - and perhaps Chianti region instead of Siena (where a car is a hassle, not a help).<BR><BR>All your hotel questions - - www.italyhotel.com is a good place to browse.<BR><BR>For Rome specifically, I recommend Albergo (Hotel) Cesari or del Senato, specifically.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:05 PM
Patrick

I agree with Rex. I don't think most of you really read what was posted, just looked at the various places visited each day without realizing how many nights spent in each place. Going to Pompeii for the day from Sorrento, for example, is nothing. Yes, the trip is somewhat exhausting, but assuming they don't feel they can return to Italy frequently, who can blame them for wanting to see as much as possible? Jim also mentions they were there for a honeymoon just last year, so perhaps many of the "major" things will not be repeated this time as they just absorb lots of local culture and customs. Sounds like a good plan to me. And frankly I find viewing scenery across Italy from the train (or hydrofoil even) a very good relaxing way to spend the down time, as well as getting a feel for more of the country. Essentially they are doing four cities in two weeks -- no big deal. I just got a Christmas letter that described a couple going to Europe for three weeks and seeing 7 countries -- now that's what I call spreading oneself too thin.<BR><BR>I think you should have no problem with your budget for hotels and meals/entertainment assuming you will be over some places and under in others.<BR>Frankly my opinion of the meals on the Italian trains would not warrant making an effort to have lunch on the train, although I would think it would be a smart thing to do on the Naples to Florence segment. Not worth doing Florence to Venice, and maybe not even Venice to Rome. For the price of a really mediocre meal on the train, you could have a spectacular meal in your destination city.<BR>For specific recommendations for hotels, do a search here. This forum is filled with comments and recommendations for hotels in each of your cities.<BR><BR>Have fun!!

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 12:18 AM
wayne

Your itineary is fine jim. My wife and I did something like that for our honeymoon. We toured half of Italy in 18 days and we didn't feel it was rushed. I wouldn't suggest going to Naples tho. Nothing much there.My itineary was:<BR><BR>Venice (2N)seeing Murano and Burano too.<BR>Milan(1N, just as a rest stopover)<BR>Monterosso(2N)seeing Vernassa,Portofino and Santa Magherita on day trips.<BR>Florence (4N) seeing Pisa on a one day trip,San Giminagno & Siena the other.<BR>Assisi (2N)<BR>Capri(2N)<BR>Sorrento(2N)seeing Pompeii and driving thru the entire Amalfi coast.<BR>Rome (3N)<BR><BR>How did we not feel tired?<BR>1. Rent a car. Time spent waiting for public t'port is most tiring.With a car you can stop and go as you wish.<BR>2. Have a flexible itineary. If you like a place stay longer, if you don't, move on.<BR>3. Don't have to see everything.Even in the Uffizi we only saw the things we wanted to see (classical paintings) skipping the lesser known sculptures.<BR>4. Dont do two big cities back-to-back.The small towns gave us the break to recuperate and plan for the days ahead.<BR><BR>$200 a nite for hotels and meals are adequate. You'll get at least 3-4star. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.<BR>

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 06:15 AM
hamlet

Jim, I think you're trying to cover a lot in that period of time, but since you've already been to Italy, maybe you know that and just wanted to fill in some blanks from the last trip. I get the idea that some previous posters didn't see the part about you having already been there. If I wanted to go to that many places, I would try to change my travel times to get the most out of every day. For example, if you plan to spend the first days in the Sorrento area, why not fly into Naples? I don't know if cost is an issue, but when I did this I think the ticket was the same or just about $30 more which is a wash if you have to take the train from FCO to Termini and have to spend time to wait and transfer, etc. I've done this and the flight was soon after arriving in Rome and I didn't lose time or money. The train ride from Naples to Florence will eat up about one whole day that I would rather spend doing something else besides sitting on a train. That's a big step across Italy for one day. I did this once, but just because I wanted to meet a friend for dinner in Florence and I have been to Italy a few times, it was worth it to me to lose a day on the train, otherwise I would rather be sightseeing. Would you consider taking an overnight train or something like that to make the most of your daytime hours? Then you might also save on one night's hotel room. And then later when you backtrack to Rome again so I would make the same suggestion. Consider the order of the cities you want to visit, and maybe fly directly into or out of those cities, to give you a few more hours to enjoy and see Italy.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 06:52 AM
steve

We did a somewhat similar trip in October and, for us, it was fine. Some people may have felt it was too much. We took the train from Naples to Florence and because of the length of the trip had lunch on the train. It's not a bad trip and we still arrived in Florence in time to putter around a bit in the afternoon. We stayed at the Hotel Monna Lisa in Florence, which probably exceeds the $200 budget. Some of our friends stayed at the Hotel Paris and thought it was good.<BR>We stayed at the Hotel Santa Chiara in Rome which is in a wonderful location right behind the Pantheon. The rooms are sort of plainly furnished but the bathrooms are large and modern. <BR>In Venice we loved the Hotel Flora. It has lots of charm and a great location. Ask for a garden view room. <BR>Also in Venice, I've stayed at the Bisanzio which is a nice place with a friendly staff.