Search

Rome, Sicily and Almafi 10 nights this summer

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome, Sicily and Almafi 10 nights this summer

Hi everyone,

My friend is planning a 10 night trip to Italy end of July/August. He'd like to stay in Rome 4 nights and Sicily part of the time. He's grandparents lived in Sicily and he'd like to visit their town. I suggested a stop in Capri or Positano and would greatly appreciate your feedback on logistics since getting to Sicily is either a flight or overnight ferry/train.

He may use miles to get from NY: JFK to Italy and back. I'm familiar with Rome and Sicily but have never coordinated a trip that great a distance. He REALLY wants to see both sites and I was suggesting he add in Capri or Positano for 2 nights.

What are your thoughts on logistics?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Natalie
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:10 AM

Where in Sicily? He would need to fly from Rome or Naples into Palermo or Catania. With only 10 nites I would suggest just the 2 major destinations.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:15 AM

I took the overnight ferry from Naples to Palermo on my first trip to the island. It is a good way to maximize time.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

I'll ask him where he'd prefer to stay in Sicily. I saw your trip report Bob! Thanks for all your help.

Thanks ekscrunchy! Would you take a ferry again, whats the cost of the ferry versus a flight? You definitely save time flying.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:45 PM

I wouldn't suggest adding Capri or the AC to this itinerary. Rome and Sicily should more than fill up his 10 nights/9 days. Does he fly overnight from the US? If so, he might have fewer than 10 nights.

So with Naples etc out of the picture, he would need to fly from Rome to Sicily. He could save time by making this flight upon his arrival in Rome. He's already at the airport, and to get to his end point might be the best use of his jetlagged state.

Sounds like he doesn't have any current relatives in Sicily to drive him around. In that case he may need to rent a car to get to his ancestral village.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:02 PM

Nat: If he does keep Naples in the picture, night ferry saves time because he is traveling while sleeping and does not waste a day getting to the airport, etc. But it sounds as if he may eliminate Naples. With only 10 days, he should probably limit the destinations to Sicily alone, or to Rome and no more than 2, or at most, 3, places in Sicily. I spent a week in Sicily last time and arranged it this way:

Palermo (2 nights)
Agrigento (1 night)
Siracusa (2 nights)
Taormina (2 nights)

It worked out well for us, but of course more time would have been welcome. I am only mentioning this as one of many options for dividing the time. Obviously your friend's plan would be very different since he will add in his ancestral village. Try to find out where that is located and come back for more planning...
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help again. He is flying overnight from the US and I think keeping it to 2 destinations does make sense. He doesnt have any current relatives in Sicily. Is it reasonable to drive oneself around in Sicily? How would you compare it to the mainland? I've driven cross Italy myself and found very comfortable. Is it similar?

His family lived in Marsala, Sicily on the West Coast. It seems reasonable to visit Marsala in Trapani and Palermo. I wonder which other areas would be reasonable to include on his trip? What might you recommend?

Thanks again.
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:26 PM

The driving on the west side will be easy. I would add Selinunte and Erice to that mix--including Monreale with Palermo.
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:45 AM

And Segeste, a well-preserved Greek temple in agricultural countryside.

He could make a circle including the middle of the island, with Agrigento (Valley of the (Greek) temples) and the Roman villa at Casale, near Piazza Armerina, with superb mosaics.

Driving is pretty easy, as long as you stay out of Palermo. I agree Monreale is a must, but go by bus, not car.
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions above. We have about 4/5 nights as follows in Sicily considering these destinations in the west/central part of the island:

Marsala
Palermo (not by car)
Monreale (not by car)
Selinunte
Erice
Segeste
Agrigento
Roman villa at Casale, near Piazza Armerina, with superb mosaics.

I'm going to get a bit more info about the cities for my friend. I greatly appreciate all your advice!
Natalie