Reload this Page >

Rome Restuarants

Search

Rome Restuarants

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 06:52 AM
GR

Rome Restuarants

Dear Travelers,<BR> I know that similar questions have been posed and covered here but...<BR> What are your recommendations on restuarants in Rome in mid to late March?<BR> I will be taking my wife, Italian-American and a GREAT cook, to Rome for her 50th, er 30th, birthday. For her birthday dinner, based on comments here, I have tentative reservations for La Terrazza dell'Eden at 7:30 in hopes of eating dinner as Rome turns to night beneath us. Good, or stupid waste of money? Other suggestions for that meal?<BR> For other meals during our 6 night stay we would also love tasting the real food of areas as well as the gourmet offerings.<BR> Suggestions, please.<BR><BR>Graci,<BR>Geoff R. <BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Wayne

Another great place with real Tuscan cooking is Arrosto Toscano, a place where they bring you the antipasti of the day until you make them stop, then serve you some really great Tuscan cuisine. You get there by going north on Via Veneto until you reach the old city wall; just inside the wall as you go north, take a right turn and go about a block to the restaurant. It's one of those places that I wouldn't have discovered if some local Romans hadn't taken me there, and I have never seen another American in the restaurant. Glad to know you're planning the La Terrazza; it's a great place too, a bit more upscale than Arrosto Toscano and with more of a Continental flavor. Yes, Terrazza is rather expensive; but for a splurge like your wife's birthday it's a wonderful choice.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:32 AM
GR

Wayne,<BR> Thank you very much for the reassurrance and recommendation! I look forward to Arrosto Toscano. It sounds exactly like the type of place we will be looking for.<BR> <BR>Geoff R.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:52 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>If you do a search on<BR>Rome restaurant here you will find scads of excellent recommendations.<BR>Here are a couple of mine<BR><BR>Myosotis, via dela Vaccarella 3/5, phone 06 686 5554, credit cards, closed Sun www.myostotis.it was excellent. Simple d&eacute;cor, inviting pink color scheme. Complete dinner for one with a glass of wine, L 62,000. Pleasant and efficient service, very good food. A very good value.<BR>La Tartaruga,via del Monte della Farina 53, 06 686 9473, closed Mon. <BR>Sept 01, I had dinner two nights in a row at the same restaurant--I've never done that anywhere before. The address is a small street that starts next to the church of St Andrea della Valle, immediately south of Corso Vittorio Emmanuelle, near the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area. What a great little restaurant! It is family-run, and the same family owns a farm in Tuscany where they produce their own olive oil and wine vinegar. All the food was outstanding on both nights (the second night I went with some new acquaintances) and as simple as it sounds, the mandarine (tangerine) sorbet was to die for. Cost for one, full meal plus a glass of wine and coffee, was about $40 and worth twice that.<BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Marianna

Hi Geoff,<BR>I live and work in Rome as a tour guide and the suggestion of La Terrazza is one I would have made for you. Their chef Enrico used to cook for Prince Charles and Princess Diana and is very well respected. The setting is absolutely beautiful and definately worth the money with the excellent service they offer. <BR>Other suggestions would be to wander through the fabulous streets of Trastevere where many great restaurants are located. Rule of thumb, if there are Italians in the restaurant, go there!! <BR>You might want to try Antonios in Via dei Pastini a local favourite of mine where the food is good and the staff wonderful.<BR>Cul de Sac is a great wine bar serving from about 1,400 wines and they also have great antipasta. Often a wait so be prepared to take a number for your turn. <BR>Try having a wine in Campo di Fiori at the Vineria or Taverna del Campo sitting outside watching the passing parade and eating pistacchio nuts. Lots of fun!!<BR>Then get a gelato at Blue Ice near Campo di Fiori and another near Piazza Navona and the Trevi and wander through Piazza Navona and watch the buskers and street artists.<BR>If you need any other help or information please feel free to email me direct.<BR>Regards<BR>Marianna<BR>Happy birthday to yur 30!!?? year old wife. Enjoy this beautiful city. What a birthday she will have.<BR>Regards<BR>marianna