Rome: restaurant and food tour suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2023, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fodorites! We’ll be spending the week leading up to Thanksgiving in Rome and have booked an Airbnb near Piazza Navona. We’ve been many times, lastly in 2017, this trip we just want to revisit a couple of places, but mostly wander around and enjoy the city. Fingers crossed it doesn’t rain too much…

Our interests are history and culture, we enjoy exploring and popping into churches along the route. I requested and was thrilled to immediately get slots for the Scavi tour.

On the agenda for this trip:
  • early AM private tour of the Vatican with Sistine Chapel access sans the crowds.
  • food and wine tour, in Trastevere perhaps? We did tours in Naples and Paris last year, then replicated something similar on our own, and greatly enjoyed ourselves, would like to do the same this time too.
  • checking out aperitivo bars
We want to do a big dinner on Thanksgiving, some friends suggested Armando al Pantheon and la Rosetta, both near the Pantheon. Also Cul de Sac, though that appears to be more an aperitivo place.

Would love your restaurant suggestions, something good, but not Michelin class. Two of us are vegetarians, which may restrict the options. Any tips for a late lunch after the Scavi tour, somewhere near the Vatican?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions, have a great weekend 😊
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Moderators, please tag for Italy, am not able to do it as I’m posting from my phone. Thanks!
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 05:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Use Happycow to find restaurants.

Rome is famous for its offal, so not the best choice. On the otherhand it does make good square Pizza al taglio and they even deep fry one
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 06:01 AM

Last visit I had best carbonara of my life at Al Moro near Trevi fountain. Book ahead and ask ti sit in front room when you book. We also liked Emma. Very much. Must book. J
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 06:17 AM

Cul de Sac definitely has a full menu, with vegetarian options. You can also go just for wine and cheeses (and charcuterie for the meat eaters).

Duecento Gradi near the Vatican will be a great lunch stop. Such sandwiches! Go hungry.
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 07:38 AM

This is pretty good list. Armando Al Pantheon would be a nice choice for thanksgiving.
Also Roscioli is great for pasta and Piperno in the Jewish ghetto was good. Also liked Emma which is close to where you are staying.
https://www.eater.com/maps/best-restaurants-rome-italy

Last edited by macdogmom; Sep 30th, 2023 at 08:06 AM.
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too think the Eater list is pretty good. I haven't been to Armando in years and the most recent time I thought it wasn't quite as good as it had been in years past, but who knows, might've been a one-off not-great night. Last year in Rome I enjoyed Antico Arco, Roscioli (a first visit for me and it was excellent), Emma, Cesare al Casaletto. Emma can be a zoo--I prefer to dine there either early or late.
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, will check out Emma and Roscioli. We’ll probably dine one evening at Armando, even if not on Thanksgiving. Will also go through the Eater list for other alternatives.

Any ideas for a food and wine tour, does Rome have the equivalent of Paris by Mouth tours?

Thanks again and keep your comments coming!
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by geetika
Thanks for the tips, will check out Emma and Roscioli. We’ll probably dine one evening at Armando, even if not on Thanksgiving. Will also go through the Eater list for other alternatives.

Any ideas for a food and wine tour, does Rome have the equivalent of Paris by Mouth tours?

Thanks again and keep your comments coming!
I follow on Instagram this American, Elizabeth Minchilli, who has lived in Rome for many decades. She and her daughter Sophie give tours. Also Kate Parla who wrote the eater list probably gives tours.

https://www.elizabethminchilli.com/food-tours/
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 01:22 PM

I’ve really loved Trattoria Monti (they have some very good vegetarian starters, e.g., custardy crustless vegetable tarts, called tortino—in the singular) and an assortment of fried things (squash blossoms stuffed with cheese). At Tram Tram the Puglian fava bean purée with sautéed greens are a special favorite of mine. Aside from vegetarian pasta dishes (and, as noted above, a wonderful range of vegetarian pizza al taglio options), a vegetarian secondo that you’ll see in many restaurants is eggplant parmesan. You’ll also find great artichoke starters (braised and fried) and various kinds of delicious sautéed greens. You can build vegetarian meals in many restaurants in meat heavy Rome, even though you will be limited to a small proportion of the menu. An exception would be Santa Palato, which is wonderful, but it’s offal and meat intensive. It’s not a place for vegetarians. Marigold (not Roman cuisine) is a great spot for lunch. It’s not vegetarian, but leans heavily into vegetables. I’ve never been there for breakfast or brunch, but have heard that it’s great.

I second the suggestions of Katie Parla and Elizabeth Minchilli for food tours. I love their websites and recipes (have never take a food tour w/them).
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Macdogmom, thanks for suggesting Elizabeth and her daughter for the food tour, will also check to see if Kate of the Eater list does tours.

Thanks for all the tips for restaurants, including some interesting veggie options, which I will most certainly try, thanks studentobe.

Many thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts, I always prefer this to online reviews which IMO can be suspect. Much appreciated!
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 08:30 PM

Just note that La Rosetta is a very well-regarded and very expensive fish restaurant..might not be what you are looking for this time.

Make sure to book ahead at most or all of the restaurants mentioned here.
Old Oct 8th, 2023, 12:07 PM

I don't know if this will apply to November, but last May, Armando del Pantheon was completely booked for a month ahead.