Rome or Lisbon in March?

Dec 7th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Rome or Lisbon in March?

Hi, my boyfriend and I are planning a trip in March and we are having a hard time deciding between Lisbon and Rome. We would be there for 5 days and want somewhat nice weather with enough to see/do. Which do you think we would enjoy more?
Dec 7th, 2005, 08:09 AM

flip a coin
Dec 7th, 2005, 08:51 AM
africa_lover

hi,

I've been asking my travel agent just the same question this morning.
She told me to go for Rome as Lisbon could be more windy and colder in March.
So we did decide on Rome .

Dec 7th, 2005, 08:58 AM
aj

Have you been to either city? We love Rome but that being said Lisbon is a very "old world" feeling city to me. It really looks a lot like SF/CA. Trolly car, hills and a wonderful bay area. Lisbon just seems to be less "tourist" and more real life. You might say is is a little "thread bare" in spots. The Mosteiro dos Jeronimus is the most beautiful church I have ever seen.
I think everyone should visit Lisbon at least once. We were there in May and the weather was beautiful. I don't know about March. You can't lose either way.
Dec 7th, 2005, 09:39 AM

We were in Lisbon in May also. I have also been to Rome.
aj is correct. Lisbon does seem less touristy.
I do not know if price is a consideration for you, but your money goes a lot further in Lisbon.
Don't get me wrong, you can go very high end there. But for 125E, you can get a hotel room easily. The prices in Rome have really gone sky high.
Dec 7th, 2005, 09:59 AM

It seems to me, more and more, that it's going to be Lisbon for me in October. There've been quite a few posts on Lisbon and Portugal lately, which have made me very curious. I just love the sound of the language and intend to do a basic course before I go. I'm delighted to read further recommendations on this thread.
Dec 7th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Hi Keren. We bought tapes for Portugal before we traveled. My husband did better than I. I must admit that I do not do very well with languages.
We found Portugese to be very difficult to learn. I hope you have better luck.

We are trying to get there in October also. If I find the plans go through, I will post and maybe we can have a mini Fodor get together.
Dec 8th, 2005, 02:52 AM

Hi Sher,
It would be great to get togther, if we go at the same time. It's still very far away, of course, and getting from Israel to Lisbon is not that simple or cheap, but I think this is where I'll be heading next fall.
I speak French and basic Italian so I think I won't have that much of a problem with Portugese.
I'll be in touch.
Dec 8th, 2005, 05:13 AM

Hi Keren. Yes, it is a long way off. But I have a good friend that posts here also and she is planning a trip to Lisbon in October.
If the stars allign correnctly, we could pull it off!