Reload this Page >

Rome or Florence first

Search

Rome or Florence first

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 02:03 PM
Mel Sheinberg

Rome or Florence first

Flying U.S. to Rome. Trying to decide whether to take train directly to Florence and returning to Rome after 4-5 days or staying in Rome, going to Florence later and returning to Rome to fly home. Is trip from Rome to Florence soemthing that is to much after 11 hour flight? <BR> <BR>Please give your suggestions. <BR> <BR>Also hotels recommendations in Florence would be appreciated.

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 05:18 PM
mary

We were there in June. We stayed in Rome first---with the initial excitement of being there-- we had alot of energy for all of the sightseeing in Rome.. We took the EUrostar to Florence, which I highly recommend. It took less than two hours and it was a delightful train ride. Florence is less frenetic than Rome, so were glad to have a less frantic pace. We stayed at the Loggiato dei Serveiti which was wonderful. The rooms are filled with antiques, the breakfast room was delightful and the service was lovely. I would definitely stay there again. I hope this helps you out! <BR>Mary

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 05:26 PM
sue

Did you go first or second class on the Eurostar? If firs, would you go 2nd class in future?

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 05:49 PM
rlk

--- <BR>Mel: <BR> <BR>I've flown into Rome and then taken train directly to Florence. It is do-able. This was my second trip to Italy; if this is your first visit, I agree with Mary that you probably should start in Rome first and then proceed to Florence. Rome is bigger and more hectic, so you want to begin there. <BR> <BR>Do take the EuroStar train - trip is about 1 1/2 hrs between Rome & Florence. <BR> <BR>Also, if your stay in Florence includes a visit to the Uffizzi, do plan to get your tickets ahead of time. You didn't say what time of year you'll be there --- certainly during high season, you don't want to waste time standing on line, but rather to walk right into the side entrance for those holding reservations.

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 12:05 AM
Walter

I'd say it depends on your stamina. You'll be up all day and then a redeye flight. Can you sleep on the plane? Figure from arrivals to airport train station, finding a luggage cart, being dazed and confused and buying tickets 15min, waiting for the train (every 30min so split the difference) 15min, the journey 30min. With Rome-Florence trains ~every hr will you just miss one getting tickets or just make one let's say 1hr in Termini. The fast trains 1:35min to Florence say 2hr with getting to and taking a taxi to the hotel. So figure ~4hrs with 2 trains, handling luggage, buying tickets and a taxi ride. Also you might want to avoid Florence on Sundays with shorter hours at the museums/sites and Mondays when most museums are closed and I'd assume the other open sites would be more crowded. You might want to mention a price-range, on/off season, single/double, must haves'(elevator, en suite w.c., etc) on your hotel question. HTH Regards, Walter <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 11:24 PM
Jonni

Mel: I would suggest going to Florence first. I have been there several times and it is smaller and easier to learn the ropes than Rome. I have stayed in two hotels there: Vivahotel Laurus, Via Cerretani, 8 50123 Firenze - Italia Tel. ++39 055.23.81.752 or e-mail [email protected] This hotel is listed as a BestWestern in Europe and is only one block from the Duomo which is in the middle of town. It was more expensive than the following hotel which is only about 1/2 block from the Duomo from which you can walk everywhere. Hotel DeLanzi, Via Delle Oche 11, Firenze - Italia FAX: 011 39 055 268354. You will want to walk everywhere from either of these hotels. The Academia (David) the Uffizi Museo, Ponte Vecchio (Gold Bridge) all are within easy walking distances. The train station is very close also but I recommend taking a cab to your hotel--then when you see where it is on a map you may opt to walk back to the train station when you leave. Best advice--pack a bag you can put on and off the trains by yourself. There will be no one to help and sometimes the train doesn't stop for long! Buon Viaggio!