Rome: oops, not enough time!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made a serious error in judgement when planning my viaggio...in order to spend enough time with the relatives in Salerno, I booked only 3 1/2 days in Rome. OH NO! We arrive early afternoon on Saturday June 19th and leave Wednesday morning. Questions:
Best strategy for the Vatican: I have heard wondrous things about the archeological tour but can't 'dig up' any info ...what about museum and Sistene chapel tours? Also, what day would be least crowded?
Should I look into private tours for my family of 4 (two teenagers!) so that we can see it all? I've read great things about Enjoy Rome and Through eternity.

Mille grazie!!
Old May 16th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Can't help you with info about tours since I've never taken them in Rome. With respect to what is the best time to go to Vatican/ Sistine Chapel my experience last March was the following:
On the way from the airport to the hotel on a Sat. morning around 9 the limo went by the Vatican and the line was horrendouus! I had never seen anything like that. The limo driver adviced us to go during the week, not on Sat or Monday, at lunch time. We did that the following Thursday, arriving to the Vatican Museums around 12:30. There was NOBODY in line. We just went in , bought our tickets and went into the museum.
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:26 AM

www.twenj.net
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

wow Bob...that site is amazing and thorough. One question...how strictly does the Scavi enforce the policy of "must be 15 years old or older". I have a very mature 14 year old daughter that I would love to take with me...
Thanks again!
Old May 17th, 2004, 04:20 AM

Just returned.
Scavi tour is great! We didn't see anyone ask for ids. We walked into Vatican (past swiss guards) about 10 minutes before tour. We then waited with others outside the ticket office. When they were ready for us, we went in for tickets. One person had a group of 6 and she came in alone to purchase them.They didn't ask to see the 6 and one of them looked about 16. I suppose that it depends on guide. If she looks and acts mature, I'd say no problem.

We went to museum/Sistene at noon on a Monday. When we went at 9:30am the line was about a mile long (no exagerration).We decided to do some shopping in the area (my wife needed few excuses to shop-especially for shoes).
At noon we walked right in.We didn't use a guide in museum.but did use a guide book. We did hear many English speaking guides and found that they added much. Depending on time (it's a HUGE place),I'd use a guide next time.

You should be able to get a good free guide for St. Peter's.

With your short time-frame, I'd do the Forum and coloseuum (Palatine hill and possibly the museums at the entrance to the Forum) with a guide. This will take one day.
The Vatican experience will take another day.
This leaves time for some exploring.
Have a great trip!
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Here's a link for the Archeobus tour.

http://www.romeguide.it/archeobus_ing.htm

I suggest you click on the bus and print it out so you remember what is looks like.
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Last year in June we were told that you had to be in line by 9:00 AM for the Sistine Chapel and that they did not let anyone in after 12:00 PM so we MISSED it! Thankfully, we will be back in a couple of weeks and I am armed with reliable info from my fellow Fodorites! Thanks.