Rome: Nationale,Colonna or Pantheon??

Sep 9th, 2001, 06:06 PM
lee

Rome: Nationale,Colonna or Pantheon??

Fodorites,
I'm finalizing our trip to Rome next year and have one final question for all of you. We will be staying for 12 nights in Rome. The first 7 at the Domus Julia (largely due to the great comments from this board). The last five I want to stay closer to the Navone/Rotunda area. Since I got a great deal on tix from Northwest airline I've decided to splurge on the final 5 nights. I would like a hotel that will knock my wife's socks off. After reviewing the board and getting prices form the hotels I've narrowed it down to the Nazionale ($220 per night), the Colonna Palace ($220 per night) and the Pantheon ($250 per night, would ask for a quiet room without a view). The Crowne Plaza Minerva is $300 so forget it and the Raphael will not give me a price despite two requests. So of the three I listed, which would be the one my wife would talk about for years to come.
Thanks,
lee

Sep 10th, 2001, 06:03 AM
Santa Chiara

I stayed at the Sole al Pantheon (there are two "Pantheon" hotels) two weeks ago. IMHO, it wasn't worth it. Overpriced and a little run down.

Sep 10th, 2001, 06:21 AM
Ruth

We stayed at the Hotel Pantheon last November and absolutely loved it! We stayed in the Diamante Suite which was fabulous! The location is perfect, the staff warm and helpful. Will stay there again on our next visit.

Sep 10th, 2001, 09:01 AM
lee

The ice cream shop is a big plus. It could be the deciding factor! Any more info is appreciated.
lee

Sep 10th, 2001, 09:48 AM
carol

I've stayed at the Colonna Palace which is on the very same beautiful huge car-free piazza as the Nazionale (and the Parliament). I enjoyed my stay at the CP, but I'd describe it as a high-end, conservatively decorated 3* hotel (even though it's a four*). The Nazionale looked more like a four* than the Colonna Palace and, for that reason, I'd recommend it. The location is absolutely sensational.

Sep 10th, 2001, 10:07 AM
GAC

I stayed two nights at the Colonna Palace and agree with Carol that it is not quite a full four-star property (hallways and parts of the lobby are not up to par, and rooms are a bit long-in-the-tooth), although the breakfast area on the roof is beautiful, and the views from the rooms directly facing Palazzo Montecitorio surpass five-star status. Bear in mind that the views from the Nazionale are different: the hotel is to the left (facing Palazzo Montecitorio), hence views are not head on, as they are at the Colonna. Either choice would be acceptable in my opinion.

Sep 10th, 2001, 03:51 PM
lee

The winner is: Nationale! thank you all for your input. I spent the afternoon at a local bookstore reading several summaries of each of the three hotels. It seemed all would be nice but the Nationale would be the best. I think the ice cream parlor clinched it!
I'll make my reservation tomorrow.
lee

Oct 23rd, 2001, 07:27 PM
russ i

Lee,

I was trying to chose between the Nazionale and the Colonna Palace for this June. Can you tell me what rate you got and how you booked it? Thanks.

Oct 24th, 2001, 09:55 AM
GAC

Depending on the season, you may get a better rate for the Colonna Palace through Italiatour, the tour subsidiary of Alitalia.

Mar 6th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Surlok

Topping for Amy

Mar 6th, 2002, 06:34 PM
lee