Rome "must-sees"?

Mar 14th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Rome "must-sees"?

Hi all. I normally research my trips but I am making a last-minute trip to Rome Sunday for three days and would welcome Fodorites' recommendations for what to see on my first trip to Rome. I am treating this as a "recce" and will likely go back again. I am arriving around 1pm Sunday, and will have all of Monday and Tuesday to tour around before leaving around noon Wednesday. I would very much welcome your suggestions about what I "must see" during my brief stay there. Thank you!
Mar 14th, 2007, 03:41 AM
sjj

For ancient Rome, see the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, the Campidoglio, the Capitoline Museums, Trajan's column, the Baths of Caracalla, the Pantheon, and the Ara Pacis in its new building on the Tiber. For city sights, my wife and I like Piazza Navonna, Via d. Coronari, Piazza del Popolo, what remains of the Ghetto, and Campo di Fiori. And then there's art, particularly Carravagio, much of it in churches all over the city. Also, though this can be time consuming, there's St. Peter's and the Vatican museum, including the Sistine Chapel. How one cuts this down to three days depends on your own interests.
Mar 14th, 2007, 03:46 AM

Just off the top of my head - walk about the historic center on sunday, the day you arrive, check out the trevi fountain etc.

You would need to spend a whole day at the Vatican - St Peter's, Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel etc. And the other full day you have you could devote to ancient rome - coloseum, forum etc. The Borghese gallery is also nice, if you have time.
Mar 14th, 2007, 04:18 AM

Hi

Check out my trip report with pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . Note that there is a link at the bottom if you want to print it out...maybe you can read it on the plane The must-sees are the Vatican, Colosseum, Forum, Trevi, Pantheon, Spanish steps etc. Have a great trip.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Mar 14th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! That is precisely the kind of information I was hoping for. And thanks Gard for the link to your trip report -- I will print it out and read it on the plane like you suggested!

Cheers!