COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Rome Marathon

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Rome Marathon

I noticed that the Rome Marathon is on 26 March, when I'll be there, playing tourist and all. I just wondered if anyone had been there during it before, and how disrupted things get (I only have 3 days in Rome, so completely losing one would kind of be unpleasant, though it'll still be there in years to come, of course). I've got reservations at the Borghese for 1100 that day, and was hoping to do the Pantheon and churches near it, plus the National Museum as well that day, if that helps at all.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Have a look at the official Web site, which includes, so it says, a map of the run.

http://www.maratonadiroma.it/eng/home_en.asp

If the situation is anything like the one that prevails at the Montreal marathon, I would think that the following would apply:

1. Anything (museums, churches etc.) that is usually open will be open.

2. Public transportation will be either non-existent or totally unreliable. I would count on having to walk everywhere; you can always cross a street used in the marathon if it's not precisely at the time when all the runners are using it.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Walking's not a problem, it's probably the easiest way to get around between those sights, given the location of my hostel, anyway. And hopefully you're right about the street not being blocked while runners aren't in it; my only experience with trying to get around with big public things going on has been in DC, with inagurations and protests and such, which make even walking extremely difficult because of all the closed streets.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 02:53 PM

We're talking about Rome, not Washington, D.C.

I can't imagine a Roman policeman (no matter which of the many branches of Italian policedom he comes from) not allowing you to cross a street if it's not being used by the runners.

Even our considerably stricter policemen here in Montreal are pretty easy-going about it.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to make sure; I don't want to get thrown in an Italian jail for jaywalking during a marathon or something. Thanks for the advice, though.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:01 PM
mp

Here's some advice a Roman Tour Guide emailed me about the Marathon and the city traffic:

The Rome Marathon encircles the historic center. It starts around 8 or 9 in the morning, and as the main mass moves through the city, streets are blocked off. It's course is roughly as follows: from the Colosseum to the Vatican, traveling up along the river by the Ghetto. Next, it winds through
Prati and up north of the city, then comes back down by Piazza Augusto Imperatore (near the Spanish Steps) at about the 18 mile point. From
here it winds through the center, past the Spanish Steps, Pantheon, and Trevi Fountain, and then heads back toward the Colosseum. It passes the
Circus Maximus and heads a short distance south of the city center to San Paolo fuori Mura, and then doubles back straight to the Colosseum.

The main mass will be finishing between 1.5 and 3 hours. So, this means that
they'll pass Largo Argentina on the way to the Vatican around 9-10 AM.
Then you'll find the city blocked around the Pantheon about an hour later, for about two hours. As the stragglers come through they are pretty liberal about letting people cross the street.

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

mp: that's great information; I should only have one point where I really have to avoid the main mass (and heck, I've never seen a marathon, it might be cool).
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:43 AM

Please be aware that no buses will be running - and in the centre of city, not even Taxis will be available. Of course the Metro is running as usual.

Police will allow you to cross streets - that is no problem. But it feels very funny to see the old centre of Rome so desolated. Almost nobody at the Spanish steps and Trevi - and no car or moped trying to run you over!