Rome- January 1st (New Year's Day)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Rome for a week after xmas and am working on getting an itinerary together. For background, we arrive late in the afternoon on Saturday Dec 27th, and will be leaving the morning of Saturday Jan. 3rd. We've got an apartment in the Ghetto (whenever I say that, I always hear Elvis Presley's back-up singers going "in the Ghettooooo" in my head!)

As far as I can tell, the only state holiday with closures during that time is January 1st, which falls on the Thursday. I know that museums are closed, and it's my understanding that churches are open. I also checked the website for the Protestant Cemetery, and it's open on New Year's Day as well.

Does any public transportation run on January 1st? I'm wondering if I should only plan on things within walking distance of the apartment, or if city buses and/or the metro will be running.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

ttt before I hit the hay.

I tried looking on the transportation website (can't remember the abbreviation), but it didn't seem to specify any holiday service reductions or shut-downs. Not that that means anything, of course.

Old Nov 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Finally found this:

http://www.atac.roma.it/

The maps specify holiday bus routes. One thing I'm still not sure about is frequency.

I'm thinking I'll spend New Year's Day quietly, maybe sleep in and just wander around in the Ghetto.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grazie mille!

There's so much to see in Rome; even with much closed down I don't think you'll have a problem finding something to do.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Apres_Londee,

I'll also be in Rome during that time. My mom and I are arriving on Friday, Dec. 26 and leaving Saturday, Jan 3rd.

I have 2 Context Rome walking tours booked (Dec. 27 and Dec. 30) but also looking for recommendations for Jan 1st, I was thinking to keep it low-key too.

I'm trying to decide what to do for New Year's Eve dinner. Have you found any restaurants that look good for New Year's Eve?

We were there last year during Christmas and had such a great time we decided to go back, but last year we left on New Year's Eve day.