Rome in a day?

May 10th, 1999, 12:51 PM
Alysa Johnson

Rome in a day?

I need some good advice. My family of 6 (4 kids age 12-18) is staying in Nice, France for a week in July. We are VERY tempted to go to Italy, but have only 1 day to spare. If we fly into Rome for a day, will it be fun or just overwhelming? Would Venice be a better choice? I know it sounds crazy, but I'm not sure I'll get my whole family to Europe again any time soon. Perhaps we should take some kind of tour. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch.

May 10th, 1999, 12:58 PM
cheryl

Personally, I think that Rome is far too big to even attempt to do in a day, unless you want to take some kind of a tour and just do a "drive-by" of the major sites. Given the two cities you suggest, I would probably see Venice, if you are determined to go somewhere in Italy for just a day. Venice is much smaller, and the most important thing about Venice is the city itself (to my mind), rather than the ruins, monuments, churches, etc. of Rome. However, I'm sure you'll get a lot of difference of opinion over this choice. Good luck.

May 10th, 1999, 01:09 PM
mwg

I think either option, Venice or Rome, will be too much of a hassle. Why don't you go to San Remo or one of the Italian towns on the way to Genoa. I lived in Nice and really enjoyed San Remo. It is a very pleasant place to spend a day. I remember liking Albenga, further up the coast towards Genoa. You know, there are Roman ruins in Nice and arenas at Frejus and eleswhere. Even Nice has some. San Remo is very Italian and it is a nice ride.

May 10th, 1999, 07:13 PM
evan

You can do Rome in 1 day if you arrive early and stay late. But you must do a tour. Because their is 6 of you it would be much more economical for you to hire a private car and driver for the day. That way you do not waste time in places which do not intrest you. (ex. 2 hrs at colliesum. Can do in much less time. Contact a Hotel in Rome and tell them you would like to hire a car and driver. They should be able to help you.

May 11th, 1999, 02:28 PM
Lee

I'd just like to concur with the writer who suggests San Remo. We also enjoyed going up into some of the mountain villages like Dolceaqua just over the Italian border from Menton. Many of the artists from Florence work there and there is a great winery and some lovely restaurants. San Remo is very busy but we had a lovely lunch alongside the quay and felt we got a real taste of Italy. We are going back this June and I'm totally enjoying these travel pages. Thanks to all who write.

May 11th, 1999, 03:09 PM
lisa

Yes, by all means don't attempt Rome in one day! But let me suggest that while you're in Nice, be sure to take one afternoon and go to Antibes (it's a brief, inexpensive local train ride to get there), especially the Picasso museum -- it is not to be missed! One of the most physically beautiful locations of any museum I've ever been to, perched right on the edge of the Mediterranean. Even if you're not an art lover or a Picasso afficionado, this place is incredible. Also, I don't know if it's still there but I had a delicious dinner in Nice a few years ago at a very reasonably-priced restaurant called Chez Davia which was memorable. The beach in Nice was disappointing though -- rocky and crowded -- it really made me appreciate our beaches here in the states. Have a fantastic time.

May 12th, 1999, 06:50 AM
Alysa

Thank you all for your help. It seems that Rome in a day is not the right thing to do! I guess I thought seeing it quickly was better than not seeing it at all. I must admit I'm a bit dissapointed. Your suggestions of closer "attractions" are appreciated. Thanks again Alysa