Search

Rome - hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Satty

Rome - hotels

Hi <BR> <BR>Can anyone give a fabulous recommendation for a hotel in Rome. Obviously price is important, must be very reasonable, but offering good standard of accommodation and preferably near to all sights, particularly the Collusieum. <BR> <BR>Only there for 2 nights, end of March, so don't want to be too far from centre. <BR> <BR>Many thanks <BR>Satty

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 11:35 AM
jin

You're probably going to have to define "very reasonable" before you get much response to this post. Rome hotels are expensive, especially near the sites. What are you willing to spend?

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Ed

There hasn't been a fabulous hotel in Rome since right after the war (WW II) when a room at the Excelsior went for 460 lire, 75 US cents. <BR> <BR>Rome hoteliers have gotten greedy since then. <BR> <BR>In any event, none are fabulous at whatever price. <BR> <BR>Eden and Russie are very chic, these days ... the "in" spot(s) to be. Not fabulous, but plush. <BR> <BR>La Residenza and Santa Chiara give excellent value-for-money, and there are a few more. <BR> <BR>Due Torri, Sole, de' Fiori provide pretty good value toward the lower end of the scale, and there are quite a few more. <BR> <BR>Why near the Colosseum? A poor place for a hotel by and large, with few restaurants and not always convenient to transport. And the Colosseum takes 30 minutes to "see". Why camp out near this? <BR> <BR>If you did a search on this site on &gt;&gt;Rome hotels&lt;&lt; you'd come up with dozens, or hundreds, of threads. <BR> <BR>Perhaps if you'd let us know your definition of "reasonalbe" and "good standard" perhaps someone here would be willing to make a recommendation for the nineteenth time. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 01:15 PM
kk

I would like to piggyback in here and ask Ed a question, related to this thread. Is there anything somewhat reasonable around the Piazza Navona that you know of? By reasonable, I guess I mean under the lire equivalent of $150. Grazie.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Ed

Sure kk. <BR> <BR>Take a look at our "Others Recommend" page for Rome ... www.twenj.com/romehtlothr.htm The Genio would be close to that price. The Santa Chiara is 30% higher but worth it. <BR> <BR>In/near Campo de' Fiori which is just 5 blocks from Navona you have the Campo de' Fiori, the nearby Sole al Pantheon, as is the Smeraldo and the della Lunetta. All of these are a bit below your target range. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 01:58 PM
kk

Thanks, Ed, for your speedy response. I will take a look. <BR>Going to the Ligurian coast in April and Bellagio, but Rome will come up soon...but not soon enough.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 11:44 PM
satty

Ed <BR> <BR>Please see my more recent, more precise request on a new posting! <BR> <BR>Thanks for your advice. We are really just going to see the Colleseum - can't beleive you only spent 30 mins there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <BR> <BR>Thanks Satty

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 04:51 AM
J. J.

Hello folks! <BR> <BR>Need a bit of guidance. I am considering a three day stay at Hotel Venezia in Rome near Stazioni Tirmini in March. Has anyone stayed here before? Any feedback? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>J.J.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 05:16 AM
Paige

J.J., I'm looking for a hotel in Rome as well and the only area I ruled out is the one around Termini. It has been several years since I was last there, but that's not such a great area.

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 12:10 AM
Su

Unless you a on a REALLY tight budget, dont stay near the Stationi Termini, its just a cheap seedy place. I stayed at Hotel Fiori ([email protected]) for 230,000 Lire per night for double room with bathroom, breakfast and taxes. It is a very friendly and helpful family run hotel and it is very clean. It is on Via Nationale not too far from the Colloseum and Forum.

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 11:19 AM
gluck

JJ, we stayed at Hotel Venezia, and we loved it. We found no problem at all about being near Termini - it was so convenient to just drop off our bags, and then take off and see Rome. It is easy since the two major subway lines converge at Termini. <BR> <BR>The hotel is a little shabby, in a characterful sort of way, but the staff were wonderful, the area was quiet, the breakfast room bright and sunny, and the price for early April 2000 was 255,000 lira.