Search

Rome Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Hotels

Welcome to the community.We are Belgian. My husband and I plan to visit Rome in May.
We're looking to stay in a reasonably priced 150$200 /nigth but nice, romantic hotel with some character, charming and central location. We're only going for 5-6days. I did some research and found romantic hotels called Cesari, Casa Howard, 58 Le Real de luxe,Susy B&B. Has anyone stayed there?
Any remommndation will be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:04 AM
rex

You typed 150$200 - - was that supposed to be a hyphen or dash? Do you really mean US dollars? (I would assume you "think in euros".) At 200 euros, Cesari is an excellent choice, but it is more than 200 USD, I think.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:10 AM

If you do a Fodor's search here you'll learn quite a bit (negative) about 58 Le Real de luxe.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:15 AM

Please avoid 58 Le Real de luxe. It changes its name every few months, writes its own -- glowing -- reviews on www.tripadvisor.com and here (until they are deleted by the Fodors editors) and indulges in all kinds of misleading advertising.

Put <Le Real> and <58 Cavour> (without arrows) into the search box and you will see what I mean.

Here are a few threads:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34552242

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34563250

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34538811
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:21 AM

I can personally recommend Casa Howard. Stayed in the Pink Room there and loved it! Location is great, room was wonderful, and they have a refrigerator in the hall stocked with beverages, including all the makings for bellinis.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your information and quick answer. I see we have nothing to worry about to write here!!!
We would like to book hotel Cesari and THE RATE THAT THEY QUOTED ME IS HIGHER THAN OUR BUDGET..
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

We're also not intent on spending as much money as possible..Does anyone have a recommendation?
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:53 AM

Try this...

http://cross-pollinate.com/home.asp?lang=1
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

thanks Lionel, i had found Le real on Michelin. I booked at 58 le real
1 luxury Jr Suite at very affordable rate. It sounds great!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:24 AM

Good luck with 58 Le Real de luxe, I can with 100% honesty tell you that it is the LAST hotel in the entire city that I would stay at.

I know budget is a priority, but you ought to know that you may be staying at a place run by crooks and at the very least, very dishonest folks. If you search the web you will find a multitude of complaints about this place, and just as many fake reviews posted by people associated with the owners.

My husband and I like Hotel Oceania for 138E per night. We stayed there this past June and will stay there again this May.

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 02:26 AM

DonnaL; if you click on the name of posters, you can see all their other posts. Lionel and TexasAggie seem to have a feud going on here about these two hotels. I don't know these hotels, but if I were you , I would do some more research before booking something.

I'm from Belgium too; welcome to Fodor's, and good luck planning your trip.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 03:10 AM

When a place is recommended from Lonely planet (from 2001) and Michelin
it is top choisen. Only 58 Le Real in Rome has this double recommendation.
I know the editors controll any year these place and they must have high Value
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Lionel,

If you click on my name you will see that I am a regular poster on this hotel. I have NO affiliation whatsoever with Hotel Oceania - it happens to just be my favorite hotel in Rome and one which I highly recommend. I actually found out about it from Rick Steves if you are curious, LOL!!

MANY posters recommend their favorite hotels on Fodors, there is no rule to prohibit it.

The reason which I so adamently do NOT recommend 58 Le Real de Luxe is simply this. My husband and I had an experience very similar to several I read about on tripadvisor (reports from people ripped of by the owner of 58 Le Real de luxe) in a small hotel in Venice and it ruined 4 days of our honeymoon. I would hate to have that happen to anyone else. If I can take 2 minutes of my time and warn them of the potential problems with this hotel and help make their vacation more enjoyable, then why shouldn't I? I certainly wish that other posters had done this for me and I could have avoided the terrible hotel in Venice.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:21 AM

oops - I meant to write I am a regular poster on this board!

Still suffering from a bit of jet lag and vertigo from my flight back from Frankfurt, I guess!
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

I have just returned from Italy. We found the 58 Real de Luxe a pleasant hotel" a "good alternative" to the "expensive giants surrounding it."The 58 Le Real sounded promising in the literature ( Michelin) we read about it. Its rooms looked lovely, and its location near the Colosseum sounded just about ideal. So we booked ourselves in for a four-nights stay during a brief trip to Rome. Hotel is a small boutique styled hotel, housing just 9 rooms in all! Housed in a non-descript building, the six standard rooms of 58 Real de Luxe are on the fourth floor of this building and Junior suite rooms on othe floor.All en-suith bathrooms with Jacuzzi shower.The Hotel is rated as a superior first class de luxel. This very charming guethouse is located along the famous Via Cavour,within easy walking distance of Trevi Fountain, "Spanish Steps" and the Colosseum, only minutes away and next to the there is a subway station to take you to St Peter's Cathedral, the Vatican.
If I have not already sold this hotel to you, consider this.
Located on the north side of Via Cavour this hotel is literally 1/2 block from the Termini subway station. The subway system is a little confusing at first but well worth the effort since it makes getting around the city relatively painless and very inexpensive. The Colosseum / Forum area is the equivalent of 4 city blocks away and can be reached quickly by taking the stairway across the street and continuing straight ahead toward the Colosseum which you'll see very quickly.
If you choose not to walk back you can catch the subway at the Colosseo stop and take it to the next stop which is near the hotel. I would highly recommend this this place for the location and price.
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:37 AM

This post reads like an advertising. Are you quoting from a travel guide?
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:48 AM

If if the poster IS quoting from a travel guide the point seems to be there is now going to be even more "controversy" about this particular establishment.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:49 AM

DonnaL, did you do anything else during your visit to Rome other than stay at Number 58?
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Rome is awe-inspiring. It's one of those places you just have to see.
Turn a corner and you'll come across monuments of times gone by. Splendid baroque buildings, classical period giants such as the Colosseum and the Forum cohabit with Basilicas and Churches of different eras. Striking squares bear witness to 17th Century sculpture thanks to the omnipresent works of Bernini and Borromini, while Renaissance artists Michaelangelo, Caravaggio and Raphael also left their eternal mark on the city.
WHAT NOT TO DO IN ROME: Wear high heels.
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:45 AM

I usually avoid controversy on this board, but heads up here: This is Donna's one and only post, and anyone who has any experience with posting here knows that's a red flag for an ad; on the other hand, TexasAggie is a regular and credible poster. I'd avoid this property like the plague.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -