Rome Hotel suggestions & why:

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Hotel suggestions & why:

Hello everyone:

I am in the process of finalizing my Italy honeymoon and was considering staying at the Hotel Exedra (an affordable five star) located on the East side near the train station.

Please give me your insight against/for this. Also, kindly give my your recommendation and why you like it.

Thanks in advance,
Natalie
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Natalie, I just returned from Italy, ending up in Rome. I don't know anything about that hotel, but I personally would not want to stay near the train station, especially if I could afford 5* places (which I can't!). It's just not that nice an area. I'm not saying it's unsafe, just not as attractive. Note that this is just my opinion, plenty of people stay in that area and don't mind it a bit. I stayed right near Piazza Navona and loved it. Also much more convenient for the things you'll want to see.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Here's a link to Tripadvisor's reviews of this hotel(I always go there first.) You may want to repost here with the name of the hotel in the title.

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/H...ome_Lazio.html

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 09:59 AM

That side of the train station near Exedra is not bad, and there is lots of posh shopping nearby. And I'm sure it's a gorgeous hotel. But certainly there are more central areas.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 10:21 AM

We've stayed twice at the Hotel des Artistes which is about 4 block from the train station in a nice neighborhood. We stayed for two weeks in 2001 and two weeks again in June of this year. I would recommend it. Check out their website.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you.

I am considering Hotel Minerva which appears to be in a good location.

Natalie
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:29 AM
SRS

Natalie, we stayed there in March 2003 shortly after it opened. It is a beautiful hotel - we had a huge room with beamed ceilings - a great experience. The area was just fine. Now I prefer to be closer to the Panthenon, but it was a fine location. If you received a good price, I would go for it without hesitiation.

Do check tripadvisor as they ususally have the most reviews.

Congratuations on the wedding!
Sally
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I did get a good price, but I sort of like the idea of being centrally located now. I'm so unsure, but did read good reviews.

Hmmmm
Nat.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:47 AM

There is nothing wrong with the train station area except that you need to take a bus to get most places. It's a simple price convenience tradeoff. You stay near the train station you get more hotel for your money but lose convenience. You stay near, say, Pizza Navona, it cost a fortuner but it is convenient. It's all a matter of where you want to weigh things. No one can give you any real advice on such things.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Of course people can give advice, it just has to be evaluated on one's own terms.
Unlike many areas in Rome, Termini is well served by crossing metro lines, and it is walking distance to some sights.
What it mostly lacks, in most surrounding streets, is charm.
Think of Rome's modified version of Times Square or Piccadilly Circus, and it will give you some idea. Central, but hectic, a bit on the dirtier side, and not an area in which one strolls to enjoy the best that Rome has to offer.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 09:17 AM

And FYI - it is my understanding that in Italy and I think all of Europe the stars refer to amenities of the property, not how it is rated as far as luxury(?). For example, a dumpy hotel with a restaurant may have more stars than a lovely property with no dining facilites.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 12:58 PM

"Of course people can give advice, it just has to be evaluated on one's own terms."

True. Worthless advice is still advice.

"Termini is well served by crossing metro lines."

The Rome subway can be a stinky, terrifying experience. First, the stories about Italians not washing a true. Second, I've been packed in so tight that that literally could not move. You don't need to be claustraphobic to think about what would happen if there were an accident or you got stuck for an hour.

Take the bus.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 01:06 PM

If you're a nervous Nelly,then don't take the metro.If you can handle the subway in New York or the Underground in London,you can handle Rome's metro.It's very crowded during rush hour in the early evening. With a little care and attention,you'll have no problem.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Millions of people take public transport in major European cities every day. Of course these systems will never be perfectly safe from crime, terrorism, or mishap, but the total record is excellent. I wouldn't be put off from taking the Rome metro.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:15 PM

We recently stayed at the Albergo Del Senato which is in Piazza Rotunda where the Pantheon is. We found the location to be terrific. We walked from there to everywhere. We found the buses a trial as each time we wanted to use the bus there was no where near to buy a ticket. Even when there was a ticket place they had run out. It became increasingly frustrating. You cannot get on the bus without a ticket.

The Piazza Navona, Piazza Rotunda area would be my pick. The Via Veneto was just huge impersonal hotels and flashy shops, no character at all, the Spanish Steps very crowded as was the Piazza Barberini area.

See what you can find in the two areas suggested above.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:01 PM

natc 143, I see you changed your thinking toward the Hotel Minerva. I havent stayed there but walked by and wished I had!! It looks gorgeous and is in a fabulous location.

I remember this time last year being terribly confused about where to say, however I was delighted with the area around the Pantheon and would stay there again.

Good luck with your choice. What a wonderful place to go for your honeymoon AND to stay in a five star hotel. Enjoy, enjoy.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I'm very confused.

Can you please list your top three places to stay in Rome (assuming cost is $500/600 per night or LESS).

Thanks for your help.
Natalie
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:52 AM

Two yrs ago I stayed at the Santa Chiara near the Pantheon (and would stay there again) as a result of recommendations from this website. It certainly was less than $500-600/night and I had a wonderfully large room ( I switched after the 1st night-room w/shower only & I wanted a bath). Location was perfect for me-convenient, safe & comfortable.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:53 AM

Minerva is wonderful. Albergo del
Senato is in an amazing location. Hotel Raphael looked great too.

I would still rate Minerva No One!!

Good luck.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, I really appreciate your responses. I think I'll consider the Minerva.

Natalie

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -