rome hotel regno vs carriage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Sue

rome hotel regno vs carriage

Any opinions welcome.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Phil

Stayed at the Hotel Regno in late September, 2000. Hotel has a great location, clean rooms and a decent breakfast. However, if they give you a room facing the Via del Corso, you will need earplugs to sleep -- the traffic noise is constant and oppressive at all hours. Service from the front desk staff was spotty, and ranged from somewhat helpful to disinterested. <BR> <BR>By the way, one of my daughters left a few items (souvenirs) behind by mistake, and wrote to the hotel in an effort to retrieve the items. We knew that this was a low-percentage proposition, but the hotel never bothered to write back to us. Overall, we will be staying somewhere else (in the same general vicinity) on our next trip to Rome.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 01:17 AM
jack

We stayed at the Hotel Regno June, 1999 based on recommendation by a fellow fodorite. They have a website where the pictures were really wonderful. As Phil said the location was great, near most of the sites famous in Rome. We had a room on the 6th floor, not facing the Via del Corso so noise wasn't a problem. The problem was the room and the bathroom. We don't mind them being small but the bathroom's hot water was not working properly and the room's wallpaper was almost peeling off. Not only that, the front desk people were very disinterested in helping you, arrogant and snobby. <BR>As a footnote too, my son (6 yrs) while we were waiting in the lobby because they didn't have the room ready yet, was sitting in one of their leather chairs and casually put his leg up to rest his feet. The front desk clerk immediately got down on him to put his legs down because it might ruin their chair. <BR>As Phil said, we too will choose another hotel next time as there are hundred of better ones in the area. I think service and attitude is the key for people to keep on coming back to your hotel.I almost wrote to their president since I asked his name as we were leaving but didn't bother because I figure they would just throw my letter in the trash. BTW, this hotel was not inexpensive: in June ~$140.00/nite. <BR>My opinions

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 07:09 PM
Leslie

We stayed at the Carriage recently and the first room we were taken to, recommended as being quiet, was so dark and depressing that we asked for a street side room. That room was spacious and brighter but rather shabby. Just replacing the peeling wallpaper would have made a huge improvement. The location was very good, but I prefer to be closer to Piazza Navona. <BR>

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 07:40 PM
Karen

We stayed at the Carriage several years ago and were disappointed. Our room was small, somewhat shabby and noisey. The wall were paper thin and we could hear people talking in the next room. Even my earplugs didn't help. We left there and got a quiet room at the Teatro di Pompeo which is a few minute walk from the Piazza Navona. We had a back room and really liked it would recommend it.Check out Karen Brown's guide books for hotels.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 05:21 AM
Sue

Thanks for taking time to reply.Needless to say, I'm disappointed that these hotels, recommended in travel books, don't seem to be advertised accurately.Hard to figure out where to stay. THanks again.

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Carmen

I had just booked at the Regno when these comments were posted. I was nervous but decided to stick with my choice because of location.We just returned from a weeks stay and I loved it there. Absolutely the most comfortable bed I've slept in besides my own. Our room was in the back so it was quiet and a church was softly lit at night out our window. We walked everywhere easily. The staff was helpful, although we didn't ask for much.<BR>Incidently, shoes do not belong on the furniture, and mom or dad should have had that under control before the staff had to step in.

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Jack

Excuse me Carmen, but you don't have the right to chastise us about shoes in the furniture. Just because you have a nice stay in the hotel doesn't mean that you knew exactly what happened. My son put his leg up for a second to arrange himself in the chair because the chair was big and his feet were dangling and he was tired from the walk. It wasn't even 5 seconds while he was doing it when the staff butted in. Our experience was not based on this incident but about the hotel in general. Please keep these kind of comments to yourself as ;YOU don't know us personally.