Rome Hotel - Ponte Sisto/Residenza Farnese/Nazionale

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Rome for 4 nights in January. My husband has never been
to Rome and I have not been there in years. In choosing a hotel we would like something comfortable and reasonably convenient without breaking the bank.
Internet service in the room is essential, as my husband will be working some.
Based on searches here, I've pretty much narrowed it to these 3 - thoughts, suggestions?? Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 02:25 PM

You have a good list--I would pick the Farnese myself.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Why would you prefer the Farnese? thanks
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Hello JMK:

I stayed at the Nationale a few years ago and found it very comfortable. It is located on the Piazza Montecitora adjacent Parliment and thus the security in the piazza is very tight --makes for a quiet night. The hotel offered all of the amenities associated with, I think, a four star.

Good luck.. Gradyghost
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 04:50 PM

JMK: January is a great month to try for the 4 nights for the price of 3 deal at the Nazionale. I believe there has to be a weekend night included, but check the website. It is a wonderful deal if you can get it.

You may have seen my recommendation in which I mentioned I had clients stay there (in January) and they liked it so much that they canceled plans for the end of their Italy trip so that could go back and stay there for another couple of nights!
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM

We were very happy with the Nazionale when we stayed there in the first week of March 2004 (I think).

Location is excellent. We had four rooms, and all were very nice.

Byrd
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 06:17 PM

I like that location.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

I am torn - for such a short stay, will either Ponte Sisto
or Farnese be inconvenient for seeing the sights?
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM

The Nazionale has the best location; a pedestrianized area keeps outside traffic noises a non-issue.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:57 AM

The Residenza Farnese and the Hotel Ponte Sisto are both excellent locations - perfect for walking to tourists sights and in charming areas. They both are in areas with little or no car traffic.

BTW, I'm cutting Rita a break. This was her first post - perhaps she Googled "Hotel Ponte Sisto" and found her way here. Yes, yes, you should read all fine print in agreements before clicking continue - even if it's in your 2nd or 3rrd language, but really a little harsh?? Even if she should have read the agreement more carefully, it IS a nice hotel...

Anyway, of the three well chosen in OP's list: Residenza Farnese would be my top choice, followed by Hotel Ponte Sisto and then Nazionale.

If OP can pay the $$$$, then Hotel St. George is even better... http://www.stgeorgehotel.it/
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM

Just FYI, the Hotel Ponte Sisto is in a GREAT location. We are booked there for next summer after we had a last minute emergency that caused us to cancel our trip a month ago.

I just want to say here how much I appreciate the fact that the Hotel Ponte Sisto is letting us use our non-refundable deposit (which was substantial as it was for 2 rooms for 3 nights paid in full) for our rescheduled trip.

The Hotel Kraft in Florence was not so accommodating. They kept every penny of our non-refundable paid in full deposit and wouldn't allow us to reschedule. Now that is a place that I would never stay at or recommend.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Oh and I also want to add that the Hotel Ponte Sisto has been incredibly patient and accomodating with all the correspondence we've had due to our canceled anniversary trip.

If the stay there is half as good as the pre-stay experience and consideration they've shown us, I'll be more than satisfied.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM

I'm a very big fan of the Residenza in Farnese, I've stayed there many times and have always been treated well. I like the location very much -- very close to the main sites in the historic centre, but on a small, quiet, one-way street which keeps the noise down! It's a boutique hotel, so not too big and some lovely decorating touches.

That said, I have often wanted to try the Ponte Sisto because (I think) it's only a block or two away from the Residenza in Farnese, so the location would also be v. good. And it looks like a lovely hotel. What has kept me from booking there is the fact that it is more expensive.

I've walked past the Nazionale Hotel many times and it looks quite nice, but much more of a larger, businessman's hotel. Because it's so near Italy's Chamber of Deputies (or Parliament) building, I suspect it caters more to that type of clientele.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:52 AM

I stayed at Hotel Ponte Sisto in 2007 and loved it. The location is great..in the historical center. Rooms are good, bathrooms on the large size. Breakfast has a large variety.

The only negative is the noise from the street if you have a room in the front. I would request a room in the back.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 03:17 PM

I know this area very well. The Residenza Farnese is a better choice in a better neighborhood.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

I was all set to book at the Residenza Farnese and checked
Trip Advisor one last time and was disturbed to see a very
recent very negative review (dark hallways, ill-kept rooms, etc) - does anyone have any perspective on this reviewer's
reaction? thanks
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM

I look at the average on TA. I always knock off high and low TA reviews - kinda like Olympic judging. I read the one review I think you are referring to and then clicked on his name and saw he trashed every hotel he has ever reviewed, FWIW.

All the other many reviews were very positive. I have not stayed there only seen it from the outside - it looked fine. I'll let others who have actually stayed there chime in.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 06:44 AM

JMK, I just had a look at the TA review you mentioned -- it's very odd, I wonder if they were thinking of a different hotel entirely?! I've stayed there several times and dingy and depressing are definitely not the words I would use.

Residenza in Farnese is not perfect, but one thing about it is, it's very light and bright. Lots of large windows. The hallways are wide, and light, there is an elevator but if you use the stairways, they remind me of what you would find in a gracious home -- high ceilings, wide, carpeted stairs, that sort of thing.

The entrance to the hotel lobby is extremely light, in part because it has glass sliding doors that open automatically when you enter or leave. Those doors let in a lot of daylight, and at night make it easy to find your way in. I've returned there many times after midnight and the lobby is always very bright, with a large chandelier.

Perhas the reviewer on TA was thinking about the street? I recall reading another TA review a few years ago about this hotel, and the reviewer complained the hotel was on a "dingy alley." A kind of a silly comment, I thought. Most streets in the historic centre of Rome are hundreds of years old and therefore not sweeping boulevards with lanes of traffic and bright street lights. The hotel is on a narrow, old one-way street and faces the side wall of the Palazzo Farnese, which was designed by Michelangelo and is now the French embassy.

I should add, when I said above that the hotel wasn't perfect, I'm thinking mainly that I have had some trouble with the air-conditioning in some rooms. But that's likely not a concern for you in January!
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 11:02 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Nazionale years ago (7/8?) before it was gussied up and prices skyrocketed. Our room then, while decrepit, was very large. The breakfast was just so so. There were several airline crews staying at the hotel at that time. The location was terrific and it is near a wonderful gelateria (the name of which I forget).

We then started to stay at Ponte Sisto and loved it. It is also well located, very comfortable, clean, and has an accommodating staff. When its nightly price also skyrocketed a couple of hundred dollars per, we went elsewhere...January prices have got to be lots better than what is available in July.

Don't know anything about the Farnese, but from the comments of others, I think I will take a better look.

Carol L
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM

bookmarking for next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -