Reload this Page >

Rome Hotel near Termini req'd

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 11:10 AM
rose

I need to book a hotel for my last night in Rome, near the train station to make it easier to get to the F.airport in the morning. Budget is $175 cdn (~120 US). Require private bath...Any ideas?

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 12:58 PM
graziella

Rose, I cannot recommend a hotel near the termini,I do not know how close is close to you but let me tell you that are is not very nice I would stay away from there ....

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 12:58 PM
graziella

Rose, I cannot recommend a hotel near the termini,I do not know how close is close to you but let me tell you that are is not very nice I would stay away from there ....

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 03:42 PM
rose

Thanks for the warning, Graziella, I've stayed in this area before, and you're right, it can be a scary area. But for logistical reasons, I need to stay there or at the airport, which I'd rather not do. On my side, I'm very observant, quite fit and I walk very fast... I've had a suggestion of the Hotel Canada, has anyone stayed there before?

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 06:23 PM
hamlet

There is a hotel near Termini that is perfectly fine and so is the street is on. (Personally I never found Termini to be all that bad, seems to be like most train stations in major cities!) It's called Hotel Universo on Via Principe Amedeo off of Via Cavour and is/was part of the Best Western chain. Also nearby, in back of the Opera House and off of Piazza Repubblica is Hotel Quirinale. <BR>

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 05:25 AM
Lori

Stayed at the Hotel Quirinale in March 98. It's on the Via Nazionale, about a 5 minute walk from the train station. Large hotel with all the amenities. Very safe. I also did not find the Termini area to be all that bad, although I've read on the site that it's certain areas that should be avoided. Do a search to find out.

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 10:02 AM
Bev

We stayed at the Hotel Oceania. It is run by a father and son, very nice people. We had a large room with air conditioning, private bath, and breakfast included. They also provided a private car to take us to the airport for L70,000. Since our plane left very early we opted for that instead of the train. This hotel is within walking distance of the train station. The hotel was L230,000 for a double. 10% off with Rick Steves guidebook and if you pay cash. This might be a few dollars higher then your budget, I don't know what the exchange rate is now. But we were very pleased with the hotel. <BR>The address is: Hotel Oceania Via Firenze 38. Tel. 06-482 4696. e-mail [email protected]

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 12:27 PM
Erin

I also stayed at The Quirinale and highly recommend it. It practically around the corner from Termini and the area on via Nazionale is safe. I too didn't find the Termini area scary...it's typical of the neighborhood where they build bus/train stations. No one builds stations in upscale neighborhoods! If you want to see scary, go to Port Authority in NYC!

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 07:18 PM
Joanna

I stayed at the Hotel Pavia, which is just across the square in front of Termini, a five minute walk. The hotel is good quality and quiet. My room had a good view of the Baths of Diocletian and a very good bathroom (unusual for Italy IMO!). The hotel is located off the street and is about 150,000 lire/night. Breakfast is included. [You have to ask for a cappuccino or other special coffee or else you get the horrible urn instant coffee.]

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 02:54 AM
karie

Rose, I went through the same thing, trying to catch a 7:30 a.m. plane, and was a little concerned about it. But we finally decided to stay in Old Rome at the Due Torre, near Piazza Navona, and had absolutely no problem. We informed the hotel the evening before and they had a taxi waiting for us, rang the room at 5:00 a.m. Simple ride to the airport and not too awfully expensive, and just requested a taxi which would accept VISA, and we didn't have to worry about keeping enough lira...just spent it all the night before! That way, we could enjoy a liesurely last night in Piazza Navona looking at a full moon and listening to the guitar music, and not watching TV in our hotel room. Very easy. Be sure and check to see how early the trains leave anyway. There is a website with schedules...www.fs-on-line.com. Also, we stayed at the LeGrand right there near the station and it was wonderful, though a bit pricey. I think they are closed temporarily for renovations. Check them out through Sheraton. We also stayed at a little pensione northeast of Termini, Hotel Tizi, and found it to be very nice, reasonable (90,000 lira per night, double) and had no problem with that area.

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 03:02 AM
Mike Miller

Try the Pesione Italia. A 10 minute walk and a 3 minute cab ride from the Termini. Website: http://www.dinf.com/hitalia/pres.htm <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 04:47 PM
Lola

Hotel Morgana, a block or so from the station, is excellent and a real deal. Highly recommended--you won't do better for the price. And we're not easy to please! (Excellent neighborhood restaurant on the corner--ask at the desk.) But stay alert for petty crime in the area. (See "Italy Warning" posting, and my tale among about 40 others.)