Reload this Page >

ROME: Hotel Julia good choice??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 1997, 12:41 PM
Chris Kelly

We have booked a week in March at Rome's Hotel Julia.Is this a good choice?Thanks for any comments.
Chris

Old Sep 5th, 1997, 06:05 PM
Connie

I stayed at Hotel Julia in August while in Rome. I chose this hotel because it was affordable. The hotel is small and quite basic; but it was also clean and respectable. Good complimentary breakfast and VERY kind and helpful staff members. Also, the location was terrific, easy access to all the sites!

Old Sep 14th, 1997, 11:19 PM
Sandy

I saw your note that you stayed at the Hotel Julia and it was affordable. How much was it in US $ ?
Was it within walking distance to the Vatican or Forum or Coliseuum or did you take a taxi, bus or subway? Would appreciate suggestions. We are trying to find a reasonable centrally located place for 3 nights in Nov. Thanks.

Old Sep 15th, 1997, 08:16 AM
Bhavna Kapur

Read your message about the hotel. We are also looking for an affordable hotel for 3 night stay in November in Rome.Would like to know how far hotel Julia was from the airport and the Inter city train station.

Old Nov 18th, 1997, 06:29 PM
Diane Clark

Read your message concerning Hotel Julia. My husband and I will be there in March, also, and are looking for a good hotel. How do I get in touch with this hotel?

Old Nov 19th, 1997, 05:59 AM
ann

Diane: Check out this website. http://www.venere.it/home/italy.html You can email to Hotel Julia or just check their rates. This sites have several links to other hotels in Rome. Another hotel which we looked up was Hotel San Carlo at Via Delle Carrozze 93 Tel 06/678.45.48 Fax 06/699.41.197. It looked much better than on the website. Just check this website out. ann

Old Nov 19th, 1997, 06:24 AM
Joyce

For Chris and Sandy: We stayed there last month and it is quite satisfactory -- certainly doesn't come close to luxury, but clean, comfortable and very well located. We made all our arrangements via e-mail, as Ann suggested, after visiting hotels on the Web. While they will probably quote you a price of 200,000 lira for a double, if you point out you are arriving or staying over a weekend they will lower it to 180,000, which is right at $100. I really think it is probably as good as you are going to get in Rome for that price. It is easy walking distance to Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain, fairly easy to the Pantheon and Piazza Navone, a must. You take the train in from the airport to the main train terminal in Rome. From there you can take a taxi or the metro, which is located on the lower floor of the terminal, or perhaps walk, as my cousin (71) did. It's about 3/4 of a mile from the terminal. If you do take the metro, it's easy as it is only the second stop. However, if you do, be extremely careful of pickpockets. You may have seen another message of mine relating to how we lost our Visa cards, ATM card (my husband's - I still had mine), his driver's license, etc., simply because he was not wearing his safety pouch but had these things in his wallet in his FRONT pocket as suggested. Put on that pouch before you leave home. Also, carry two different Visa cards, with each partner carrying one of them. As it was, we had to cancel out both of ours, which made life a bit difficult, except for my cousin who bailed us out. We also lost our airline tickets home which were in a zippered side pocket of carry-on bag. We finally got them replaced, but it wasn't easy since we were flying British Air on frequent flyer awards, my husband on a B.A. award, no problem, but mine on Alaska Airlines award, BIG problem. I digress. You COULD walk to the Vatican, but I'd rather take a bus, every bit as dangerous as the metro and all we saw were packed. Frankly, I was too depressed to do much sightseeing. Fortunately, we had been there before, but this time I spent most of my waking hours on the phone to Visa or walking around the city looking for the police station or the British Airline office. If a woman is carrying a bag, you MUST wear it with shoulder strap across body and flap (if it has one) turned toward body. Better to not carry a purse at all if you can avoid it. A girl from Florence told me her mother had had her purse stolen twice, so they attack natives as well as us careless tourists. I sound like the voice of doom, which I don't mean, since you will have a wonderful time if you are just prepared and suspicious of anyone who wants to "help" you. What they really want to do is help themselves. Take heed and ENJOY!

Old Nov 19th, 1997, 02:43 PM
jeff

I always stay at the St Anselm (in Piazza San Anselm on the Travertine Hill). It's quiet, secluded, pretty and inexpensive. The staff is helpful, but not overly so. That area of rome is all big houses and embassies. It's centrally located (across fdrom the circus maximus and near the colliseum), but not really conducive to walking. The staff can call a cab for you and they are always there in a thrice. When I was there last, we had a lovely garden room for about $120/night (w/breakfast).

In regards to the lady above me--I think you are a bit paranoid. Everyone should be aware of their purse and wallet no matter where you are and where you go. Yes, there are gypsies in Italy who prey on tourists (and locals). There's pickpockets everywhere in the states (I've watched them work in Manhattan and my native San Francisco. The best advice is to never carry anything you can't afford to lose. I always have a copy ofg all my credit card numbers in my suitcase (along w/a xerox of my passport and my airline tickets). I only travel with one or two credit cards, and onlycarry a few travellers checks with me at any one time.
I'm also aware of my surroundings and try not to dress like a tourist (matching nylon athletic suits are a big give-away--so are those really large fanny packs).
Sure, the farther south you go in italy, the greater chance of being ripped off, just be aware of your surroundings, and check out the hotel sant anselm.....