Reload this Page >

Rome hotel advice for newbie

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:30 PM
Ayo

Hello! I am taking my mom to Rome hopefully around May 16 - 20. I found what seems to be a reasonable air &amp; hotel package butI'd like some advice: 1) when choosing a package what should I look for? What area is close to most attractions as well as shopping and eating; in other words a hotel that is walking distance to most sites.<BR>2) is May a good time to visit?<BR>3) Anyone familiar w/Crowne Plaza Rome St. Peter's hotel? I think that's where we'll be staying.<BR>Thanks for any help or suggestions!<BR>Warm regards,<BR>Ayo

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:36 PM
BillF

I think the best area of Rome to stay in is near the Piazza Navonna or the Piazza della Rotunda. They are both centrally located to all the major sites. I would not recommend staying near the Vatican which is where the hotel you mention is since you'll only be close to the Vatican and quite far away from all the other sites in Rome.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:57 AM
Grinisa

Your hotel isn't even that close to the Vatican. It is on the far Western side of the Vatican Walls and a pretty good walk away. I would not recommend it as a place to stay for your first time in Rome because you will be dependent on any shuttle service the hotel provides or will need to spend money on taxis or try to figure out the bus system. That's not difficult, but if this is your first visit, try to find someplace centrally located (Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, even Via Veneto)and then all the sights you would be interested in seeing are right outside your door or a quick walk away.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:11 PM
Teresa

If you stay in Piazza de la Rotonda I highly recommend you the Albergo del Senato. The Vatican is very far from the Rome center and May is a wonderful time to visit Rome. Have a wonderful time there.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Jonathan

I've found the Vatican area an too far away from the popular sites. I enjoy staying at Albergo Santa Chiara. It is right behind the Pantheon, very central to most sites. Also, May is a nice time to visit, not too hot or cold.<BR>Hope that helps.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Myer

We were there in early May and had great weather in the upper 70s and mostly sunny.<BR><BR>We stayed at the Santa Chiara directly behind the Pantheon and couldn't have been more pleased.<BR>

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 05:18 AM
elaine

I am another fan of the Santa Chiara.<BR>My room last year was small, but comfortable. Bathroom decent size, tho' shower stall very very narrow. The hotel provided all services, including laundry. Pleasant staff. Location is excellent. Breakfast buffet (included) was outstanding.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Rob

I suggest the Hotel Genio at the Piazza Navona and a short walk to the Vatican<BR><BR>Rob

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Capo

Hi Ayo, I stayed in the broadly-defined &quot;Vatican area&quot;, in the Prati district, between the Vatican and the Tiber, a few years ago and didn't find it all that far from the historic center of Rome. However, if you'll be staying on the far western side of the Vatican walls, as one person said, then that will be quite some walking distance to the historic center. <BR><BR>May should be a wonderful time of year to visit. Both times I've been there have been in the spring--late March and mid-April--and I've really enjoyed it. One especially nice thing about that time of year is that huge pots of white and/or pink azealas are put on the Spanish Steps. They were blooming when we were there in mid-April and, hopefully, will still be in bloom through mid-May.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Fluffy

Dear Elaine,<BR>do you have a web adress and/or email adress for the Santa chinara?<BR>Any info. would be helpful...<BR>thanks,<BR>Fluffy