Search

Rome for easter

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 05:06 AM
heather

Rome for easter

I will be in Rome on April 1-2 (day after easter).<BR>Will I be able to see Vatican City (St. Peters, Sistine Chapel, etc). Closed any day of the week, expect horrendous crowds during that time?

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 06:17 AM
rb

I was in Rome last Easter- Easter Monday is also a holiday in Italy and many things are closed. We actually went to the Vatican and Vatican Museum the Tuesday following Easter Monday. The line was very long for the Vatican Museum- about an hour to an hour 1/2 wait. The museum is amazing but we did walk with wall to wall people throughout the museum- The line of people is directed through the entire museum. The Sistine Chapel was packed tight. On the other hand there was no line for St. Peter's Basilica. On the evening before Easter (Saturday) we happened to stumble upon a midnight mass held in the Pantheon. It was just magnificent. Have a good trip.<BR>

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Heather

RB<BR>Thanks for the tips! I will arrive in Rome on Monday (day after Easter around 2pm), with the rest of that day and the entire next day to see Rome!<BR>Help!<BR>If things are closed on Monday after Easter what am I to visit in only one day?<BR>Will the Colosseum be closed on Monday, how about the Pantheon?<BR>I want really am only concerned with seeing the Sistine Chapel and St. Peters, should I get up early and beat the crowds on Tuesday for these sites?<BR>Thanks so much, planning can be overwhelming and hopefully I will be able to add my two cents after I have done it to help others.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 09:13 AM
ttt

tt

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 10:56 AM
rb

There are plenty of things to see on Easter Monday- Just walking around. The Pantheon will be open, you can walk to the Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navonna, the Coloseum may be open but the Forum is closed holidays. From the Trevi Fountain you can walk to Piazza D'Spagna and walk up the Spanish Steps, visit the Church on top, enjoy the view, and venture over to the Borghese Gardens. The Sistine Chapel is located in the Vatican Museum so you have to go throught the museum in order to see it. Yes, you should get up early to avoid the crowds. Another great church that you may enjoy is San Pietro in Vincoli where Michelangelo's Moses is. A guide book can help. Hope this was helpful.