Reload this Page >

Rome, Florence, Venice - HOTELS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 07:10 PM
Lisa

I am planning on visiting Italy in May 2000, and would like to stay at hotels in the center of town, with a private bathroom and air-conditioning. Has anyone heard of these hotels: <BR> <BR>ROME: La Residenza or Santa Chiara <BR>FLORENCE: Hermitage or Lungarno <BR>VENICE: Pensione Accademia or Hotel Rialton or Hotel Flora

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 08:23 PM
Patrick

Have seen La Residenza and have friends who have stayed there. Nice hotel, but I personally don't like the location, but then I would never stay on Via Veneto, which many people love. I prefer to be below the Spanish steps. <BR>In Florence have stayed at Hermitage and absolutely love it. Friendly staff, nice rooms, and spectacular little rooftop restaurant for breakfast. <BR>Have stayed at Hotel Rialto in Venice also. Loved it and will return there this summer. Had a room right on the Grand Canal with a little balcony we could sit out on and watch the sunset and the activity. Nice hotel, but a little pricey for what it is, but we still will stay there.

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 06:35 AM
Dona

Lisa, <BR> <BR>Just back from FLorence. Stayed at the Lungarno and loved it. Had a room with a terrace on the river. It was fabulous. I visited the Hermitage (perhaps for the next trip!) and it's in a great location with a wonderful roof garden. I liked it very much and would certainly consider it. I think it's less expensive than the Lungarno. <BR> <BR>Mu favorite hotel in Venice is the Flora. It has the amenities you're looking for and is in a great location, have not been able to get into the Accademia. It has a wonderful rep - it's across the Grand Canal and not as close to San Marco, if that matters to you... <BR> <BR>In Rome, I stayed at La Scalinatella and the Raphael in Rome and really liked them both. From your suggestions, it sounds like we like the same kind of hotels - so you may want to give these a try. <BR> <BR>Good luck on your planning.

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 06:49 AM
Paul

Lisa, I've seen both the Pensione Accademia in Venice and the Santa Chiara in Rome (but haven't stayed in either). <BR> <BR>The Accademia is across the Canale Grande in the Dorsoduro district, very close to the Accademia Bridge to cross over to San Marco district. It has a nice courtyard in front and one in back, and from prior posts, many folks who have stayed there love it. I understand it's not easy to get into, as it's very popular. <BR> <BR>The Santa Chiara in Rome is located between the Pantheon and via Vittorio Emanuelle. It's a great location (we were just a block or so away this year), just off of the Piazza Santa Chiara (where there's a nice restaurant). The location is really super - you're quite near to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and Campo dei Fiore. There's a taxi stand and bus stop right on Vittorio Emanuelle, so transportation is easy to come by. <BR> <BR>I haven't stayed at or seen the Hermitage in Florence, but I do know where it is (by the Ponte Vecchio). My Dad has stayed there before and loved it, as have others on this forum. <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 03:13 PM
Dani

Hi Lisa, <BR> <BR> It sounds as if we have the same tastes. We are planning a trip to Italy in early April and we are staying at 2 of the 3 hotels you named. <BR> <BR> La Residenza comes highly recommended by a friend of mine who has great taste and who stays there whenever she is in Rome. <BR> <BR> We are also staying at Hermitage which the friend with whom I'm going to Italy with has stayed. She says it's absolutely fabulous. Down to the jacuzzi's in the bathroom and great location. Ask for a room with a view of the Arno. I have also heard wonderful things about the Lungarno, but it is much higher in price. <BR> <BR> I have also read great things by many posters on this and other boards about both hotels whcih cemented my choices. Do a search on this board using the hotel names and you will see many. many postings on each hotel. Good Luck.

Old Dec 23rd, 1999, 03:16 AM
Mike Miller

If you want Air Conditioning, in Rome, try the Hotel Italia which is about 5 blocks from the Termini off of Via Nationale. The price we paid in Oct 99 was L160,000 (cash). Its a recommendation of Rick Steves. Their new annex is the only part that has a/c. e-mail Address [email protected] <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 23rd, 1999, 10:02 AM
richard

My favorite hotel in Rome is the Hotel Due Torri. <BR> <BR>http://www.hotelbook.com/static/welcome_14282.html <BR> <BR>It is a very friendly and quaint hotel perfectly locatedin old Rome near the Piazza Navona. the rates are great too! <BR> <BR>See my posting, ALL ABOUT ROME for more details. I brought it to the top for you.

Old Dec 26th, 1999, 08:32 AM
Bob

We were very satisfied with the Hotel Al Gambero in Venice on our trip in September. Located between the rialto and St Marks. Updated rooms and baths. Very clean, nice people. Rooms somewhat small, as are most, but rates were good. It is worth checking out. We got the idea from another poster on this site.