Rome, Florence, Venice Dining

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome, Florence, Venice Dining

There are a lot of threads on this, but none specifically on dining. I would love to hear everyones top three places to eat in any of the above cities. If you just reply on one city, please identify which one. I'm looking for both affordable, and unforgettable places.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 12:34 PM

Rome: Checchino dal 1887, Trattoria Dar Pallaro, Pizzeria da Baffetto.
Florence: Cibreo, Osteria No. 1, I Latini.
Venice: Da Fiore, Fiashetteria Toscana, Trattoria La Favorita.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 05:28 AM

These are the ones I always want to go back to. There is quite a price range among them, and I don't know what "affordable" means to you in terms of pounds or dollars or euro. By the way, there are lots of past restaurant postings for those cities.

Venice
Da Fiore I'm seconding the above recommendation as it was one of the best meals of my life, but it is very very expensive--more than 150 euro pp with wine.
Da Raffaelle 40-60 euro pp, depending on wine. Fish as a main course will drive up the price. If you sit outside next to the canal, gondolas will glide by.
Trattoria San Toma
Everything from pizza to full meals.
There's outdoor dining. Homey, very good food.

Rome
La Tartaruga

You can also find comments on all of the above and more by going to the fodors.com Rome restaurant listings and reading the "rants and raves" comments.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 08:42 AM

This is a question that really does not need asking. Every, I repeat EVERY, restaurant in Italy is great. Try to find the restaurants small in size and off the beaten path. Don't worry about service. You aren't there to critic the wait staff. The one suggestion I will make is that when ordering wine, you will probably get the bottle, not a glass. It took us 3 days before we learned to order vino, rosso, MEZZA (wine, red, 1/2 bottle). ENJOY!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 08:46 AM

I disagree. Venice is one of my top two favorite cities, but not every restaurant there is great, some are downright tourist traps. Ditto any city that courts tourism, but especially in Venice which basically has no other industry.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 01:44 PM

Venice...Peoceto Risorto (near Rialto Bridge), Quattro Ai FeriCampo San Barnaba), Ai Mercanti(expenive but fabulous creative Venetian cuisine)
Ai Testiere (expensive, but small and very good)
Buon Gusto!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 03:20 PM
rex

There are a lot of threads "specifically on dining", but I would recommend searching the word resturants, instead of dining. And you may not be aware that you can use Boolean "and" / "or" in such searches - - for example, "Rome AND (restaurant OR restaurants)"

Best wishes,

Rex