Rome -First timers

Search

Rome -First timers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome -First timers

This will be our first time in Rome. We are a family of four (two adults, two girls 14 and 10 years old). I need help with a few things:
First, its impossible to find hotels that have reasonable prices AND have quad rooms. I guess apartments are the best bet ?? Any recommendations for apartments ?

Second, we plan to take the train from the airport to the Termini. Can those tickets be bought once we get there ? Also, Is it advisable to stay near the Termini area in Rome or closer to the Trevi/Spanish Steps area ?

Third, We plan to stay in Rome for 3-4 days doing what first timers do... which brings me to the next question.............what do first timers do ?
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 09:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>Any recommendations for apartments ? <<

List your budget.

>>>Can those tickets be bought once we get there ?<<<

Yes, no point in buying in advance as the price doesn't change and there are no reserved seats.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:22 AM

Trevi/Spanish steps are definitely preferable to Termini. Nearer to Pantheon/Navona/Fiori even better. Years ago we stayed in a quad at the Santa Chiara hotel. What is your budget, and what time of the year are you going? An apartment probably would be more economical.

As far as what do first timers do, it's best to check guide books, and the destinations section of this website. There's lots of info. Some of the main attractions would be St. Peter's, Vatican Museum, Coliseum, Forum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, and Gelato (the list could go on and on). Much depends on your family's interests, but these would be the must-sees.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:46 AM

Yes, you are much better off in an apartment. What's the budget?

No, you don't want to stay near the train station.

Close to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, or Campo dei Fiori would be best (IMO) - there is a 10-15% cost premium for staying in this sought after , central area - worth every penny (again, IMO).

Near the Trevi fountain would be next best. Spanish Steps would be best after that. The Termini area would be at the bottom of the list and only as a last resort if you can't afford to stay in any better areas.

Here is a suggested plan for 3 days in Rome (courtesy of that "other" travel website).

In truth, I think you'll need a full <b>4 days</b> to attempt this jam-packed 3-day plan:

DAY 1:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...064020766.html
http://www.frommers.com/images/desti...romein1day.jpg

DAY 2:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...064020790.html
http://www.frommers.com/images/desti...omein2days.jpg

DAY 3:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...064020791.html
http://www.frommers.com/images/desti...omein3days.jpg
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 04:07 PM

You might want to look at www.venere.com Venere have the largest selection of hotels for Italy, and lately many more apartments are showing up. You can specify 1 room 4 persons, so that all the results you will see will be for quads. Next specify that the results be re-ordered by price, and go through the list to make sure that 1) the location is acceptably central; 2) the reviews from people who have previously booked there are positive ( I prefer places getting 8.0 ratings or higher, but 7.0 is probably o.k. if the other specs are right); and, 3) the detail about room size, bedding, and possible kitchen fits your needs. Venere is very easy to book with, and unless you select a price that overtly states is prepaid/non-refundable their cancellation terms tend to be very beneficial and easy too.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 04:42 PM

If you are set on a hotel, try hotels that have triples, and ask for an extra bed (roll away). This worked great for us in several italian cities, and the rooms we got were huge. Also, we found it helpful to search this site and others for recommendations, but then contact the hotel directly to reserve rooms; we would send an e-mail and make our special request, and found that all were very accommodating; several sent us to their websites to reserve, but most made the reservations directly with us; and we did not pay for anything until we arrived. In Rome, we stayed in an apartment for 4 days with our kids who were close to your kids ages, and it was the best choice we could have made- the extra space to stretch out was welcome by that point in the trip.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Sorry ! I should have given my budget...its around 150 euros a day
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great advice. Especially grateful for Bardo1 list of day1 day2 day3 links. Brilliant!

I will definitely look at apartments in the area around Pantheon, Piazza Navona, or Campo dei Fiori
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 12:26 AM

We've stayed in both hotels and apts and now always prefer getting an apartment. Having a kitchen gives you a lot of flexibility with meals and with two youngsters, I'm sure this would be a plus. We always have cereal, fruit, juice and coffee around for the morning, then work a nice lunch into the touring plans. For dinner you can go out or just fix a bite "at home."

Most places these days are equipped with DVDs so you can spent some family time enjoying a movie or perhaps a board game at the dining table. In any event, there is much more space than you'll find in European hotels and the apartment is much more family oriented.

Do find out what the owner provides, i.e. is there a limited number of towels furnished, do they provide essentials such as soap and toilet tissue (sounds basic but you don't want the first thing to do to be grocery shopping).

Some sites that have been recommended previously for apartment rentals are: sleepinitaly.com, rentvillas.com, ownersdirect.com.

Good luck with your search and your travel.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 12:39 AM

Subina_Desai,
With three adult tickets to be paid, the Leonardo Express train will cost you €42, You could actually ride a taxi into Rome for less - http://tinyurl.com/Rome-fixed-rate - so you may look at the taxi option versus the train. Why not go door-to-door for less?

An apartment would be more comfortable but you may have limited choices near the centro area at your price range. For hotels, I agree that www.venere.com is an excellent site. I use it often when we travel through Europe. This link - http://tinyurl.com/25-hotels - has the top 25 rated hotels by various search engines and reviewers. Another alternative may be a convent or monastery residence; See this article - http://tinyurl.com/Rome-convents.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 02:28 AM

I think you will find much better value for your money by renting an apartment for 4 people. We had very good luck with realrome.com which has reasonable rates and a very helpful owner.

I would try to stay near Piazza Navona/Campo de' Fiori rather than the Termini area. We stayed in the Jewish Ghetto neighborhood, also a good central location. Trastevere is also an option and somewhat less expensive.

You can take a local train from the airport which is less expensive than the Leonardo Express. But with 4 people a taxi or shuttle service might be just as cheap.

I strongly recommend 4 days instead of 3--Rome has so much to see it can be frustrating in a short time. It seems to me that the Frommers itinerary for 3 days is far too hectic to be enjoyable. I would spread 1 and 2 over 3 days then if you are there for a fourth day consider some of the suggestions for day 3. Or a half day at Ostia Antica. Or just spend more time in the center of Rome. There are of course many churches to see besides St. Peters and the Pantheon, and I would try to add in some of those.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 02:53 AM

Hotel Julia has quad rooms. It's a great hotel in a great location. Near Trevi, but only two blocks from Piazza Barbarosa which has a metro stop. It is walkable from Termini but takes close to half an hour so metro is quicker (two stops). Trevi is a five minute walk. Nice quiet street and very nice hotel. A quad in July is 180€. (I didn't see if you said what month you were going). www.hoteljulia.it

With three full days I'd devote one day to the Colo/Forum/Capotline area; one full day to the 'heart of Rome' which means Pantheon, Pz Navona, Spanish Steps, etc, and one day to St Peters and things in that area.

Here's a link to a trip report I did from our July trip. I also went in November. The trip report links to photos. Rome is at the end of that trip report so just scroll past the rest. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rful-weeks.cfm
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 06:01 AM

150€ for a quad during any season is tough. You may not be able to find something, during high season, in the Navona area in that budget, either apartment or hotel, but see what's available, and see what looks closest to that area. You may have better luck looking for an apartment in a neighborhood like Trastevere which would be perfectly fine.

When are you going? If in the summer months, a/c is desirable as well.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 02:59 PM

I agree with rineurope- We have done both the Leonardo Express to Termini, and a private cab (Rome Cabs) to get from FCO to Termini/our apartment/hotel. With a private cab, you can reserve in advance online, so you are sure someone will be waiting for you. With 2 teens and luggage, even if you go only carry-on like we did, the few extra euros for the cab is ABSOLUTELY worth it. Don't forget, when you get to Termini, you will still need a cab or bus to get to your hotel/apt., so figure that cost in too- probably 12-15 euros. Rome Cabs web site quotes 55 euros for the trip for 4- that's a bargain, plus you will get a driver who is happy to tell you all about his/her city on the way in, and maybe give you some local tips too. Schlepping the luggage through FCO, Termini and out to the taxi stand while jet-lagged is no picnic, but is IS kinda fun to see your driver holding that little card with your name on it...
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 04:35 AM

habitat apartments are filthy, overpriced, and the company is very shady.

I would NEVER rent anything by those conniving thieves.

Do not trust them for anything - heck, they don't even abide by the Fodor's posting rules they agreed to.

Stay away - far away.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 06:27 PM

We are a family of four (two teenage sons) and have booked a two bedroom apartment in the Piazza Navonna area in June with
sleepinitaly.com They have been very helpful in finding the accomodation as well as booking side tours, suggesting restaurants etc.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU to all of you. The sleepinitaly.com was a great tip. We are booked using that website at a cute apartment in plaza delle coppelle. It looks VERY central and walkable to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Vatican city, spanish steps and Trevi. I am ecstatic !!

Anybody visit Plaza delle Coppelle ? any good must eat/see things around it ?