Notices

Rome during Easter-Do or Don't!

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 09:55 AM
T.J. W.

Rome during Easter-Do or Don't!

Hey,
We're planning our 1st visit to Rome and have some flexibility in our travel dates. What are the positives and negatives of visiting during Easter week? If you've gone would you travel to Rome during that time again?
Also, does anyone know the conditions at the Marriott Grand Flora?
Thanks for your help!!!

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 10:01 AM
Carol

I've always heard that Easter is the absolute worst time to be in Rome, because of the hordes of Italian, European and American tourists and their children!

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 10:31 AM
scigirl

My husband and I were in Rome over the Easter holiday this year (2000). We didn't find it to be too much of a problem. In fact, we both found it really interesting to see the preparations for mass outside of St. Peter's, to see loads of nuns and monks (some in 'Friar Tuck' sorts of robes) coming into the city. If you plan far enough ahead I think it is possible to get tickets (??) to the Easter Mass. The city was crowded - but it is large city and many other places we went in Europe were also crowded.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 06:32 PM
edie

i've never been to rome for easter, but have been to Taormina and Florence.
the mass at the Duomo in florence is something to see on easter, they do this crazy thing with a fake dove that flies over the worshippers and out the door and then onto a cart outside, which then explodes with fireworks. it;s one of those uniquely italian things to do.
rome will be crowded, with lots of school tours, but the weather should be nice. be aware of the closings/shorter hours at some of the major sites on the day after easter. there was a post about this a few weeks ago, do a search to find it.
also, in the week after easter, there are tons of weddings, every day of the week, so you will see lots of italian brides around town. i think they still refrain from weddings during lent, so there is a rush after easter. it's kind of fun to see beautiful brides getting pictures taken at all the sites.