Rome (countryside), Italy, Advice

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome (countryside), Italy, Advice

Hi, We will be travelling to Italy next October for a family reunion. We will be flying into Rome, driving south to Anzio, for 1 night, then to Pofi (near Frosinone), for the reunion.
We will spend three nights there, and then head to Sorrento where we plan to spend 5 nights/6 days visiting Pompeii, Capri, Amalfi coast, etc. We have an additional 4 nights prior to flying home from Rome and are looking for ideas on where to go for that time.
My thought is to head back toward Rome, and stay either in Liguria or perhaps, Umbria, someplace where we can easily drive back to Rome for our flight home. We've been to Rome, and don't necessarily want to go back to the city, but am not familiar with the countryside.
I'd like to find one charming location, and do a couple of day trips from there. We love finding the "off the beaten path" gem. Any suggestions? Also, I've heard of a town called E.U.R., near Rome that was designed by Mussolini. Not much info available here or on other sites, has anyone been there, and is it worth visiting?
Is there another town near Rome with a Mussolini connection; one was mentioned on a travel show, and looked very interesting, gorgeous architecture, etc., but I don't recall the name of the town.
Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM

You might consider Orvieto, an hour from Rome. There are many towns you can visit from there: Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza, Todi, Perugia. You could also leave your rental there and take public transportation to Rome. Sorry, can't help with the Mussolini thing! Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:05 PM

I've been to E.U.R. quite a few times, but not recently. It's really a suburb of Rome these days and only a quick trip by metro. I found the architecture a little surreal.

The town you mention with links to Mussolini is probably Frascati, which is in the Alban Hills, about 20km southeast of Rome. It's near the ancient ruins of Tusculum. There's plenty in the way of nice scenery and architecture there.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:04 PM

Frascati has been around much longer than Mussolini. In the recent travel show, "Francesco's Italy, Top to Toe" Francesco da Mosta visited the town of Sabaudia, on the coast between Anzio and Terracina. EUR has basically been surrounded by greater Rome. For an off the beaten path gem, try Ferentillo and the Abbazia of San Pietro in Valle in southern Umbria. This region is known as the Valnerina and is gorgeous, particularly in October. You can visit Norcia, Cascia, Lake Piediluco and Spoleto very easily.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Grinisa, Suelynne & Travelfan1 for all of the info. I'll be on-line first thing tomorrow checking out all of the towns you mentioned!
Suelynne, I did post this message twice. I couldn't find it after posting the first time, so posted it again. Sorry for the confusion. Can you tell I'm fairly new at this? Still haven't found been able to find my question/answers by checking the Italy or Europe forums, I've had to click on my name to actually read your responses. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually!