Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome-clean budget hotel near RR station?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Rick

My family of 3 will be in Rome in mid-June. We are looking for a clean hotel near the railroad terminal with a triple around $100/night. Luggage is a factor, but also open to any suggestions on other locales and budget hotels.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:38 AM
elaine

This month's National Geographic Traveler mentioned the following hotel, I haven't stayed there and can't say how much a triple will cost. Be careful about choosing a cheaper hotel around the Termini station, a neighborhood which varies in "pleasantness."<BR> Hotel Romae, via Palestro 49, tel 44 63 554, fax 44 63 914, www.hotelromae.com<BR>"…only a block away &lt;from Termini Station&gt; you'll find a good-value oasis with inexpensive restaurants, laundromats… and good public transit…guests are greeted with a basket of fruit…all rooms have new mattresses, air conditioning, and fridges rather than minibars…two free internet terminals near the reception desk…one of Rome's better buffet breakfasts too…request a courtyard side room…hairdryers…tubs or showers…breakfast included….narrowest elevator in Rome." elaine's note: My Cheap Sleeps in Italy book said "the owners take great pride in their hotel and it shows…simple bedrooms pass every cleanliness test…tvs, rooms have safes, hair dryers, takes credit cards."<BR>

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Rick

Thanks for the reply, Elaine, and I appreciate your comment about the termini area. The hotel sounded great. I got on their website and the rate was 170 euro/night - out of our price range. I really hope to stay under $125/night, so I welcome any other suggestions, including other locales.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:19 AM
elaine

Rick<BR>You might try emailing or faxing the hotel directly to see if you could get a better rate. Posted rates on websites may not always be the final word. It may not get cheap enough for your budget anyway, but you've got nothing to lose by asking.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:23 AM
elaine

meant to add<BR>try doing a hotel search at <BR>www.venere.it<BR>People have commented very favorably about dealing with them.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Paula

Try e-vacations.com. You can chose to look at just hotels. They've had good deals in the past. Also try economytravel.com

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 06:11 AM
mike

Stayed about three blocks from the station at PaPa Germonia (I think that's the spelling). It was featured in Frommers. Pro's and Con's about it, although it was only 65.00 per night.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Rick

I received an email suggestion to try "The Beehive" and the B&B service the same people run "Cross Polinate." Anyone tried either?