Rome City Tours?

Search

Rome City Tours?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome City Tours?

We will be in Rome for only three days in Feb. We would like to see the forum, pantheon, and colisseum in one day and St. Peter's, Sistine chapel on the next day. We like having a guide. Should we get a city tour group or is there guides at the individual sites? If a tour group is best, which ones?
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:22 AM

I've taken both Scala Reale and Enjoy Rome tours and thought SR was far superior. They are more costly than some other tour companies but worth the money as their docents are scholars and extremely knowledgeable. Their Vatican tour left me awe struck and I'm not easily impressed. Check their web site for information and tours on the days you'll be in Rome.
http://www.scalareale.org/pages/

You can pick up tours at the sites. I did this at the Colisseum. The tour was ok - nothing outstanding.

Your decision depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to get out of the tour. But you asked which was the best and if you do a search on this board you'll find that others highly praise Scale Reale.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:50 AM

I just returned Sat from Rome. With SR I did the orientation tour, Vatican tour and ancient Rome tour. The first two were fantastic with guides that had us spellbound. The ancient Rome tour proved a mild disappointment with an average guide.

Vatican tour lasted almost 6 hours with only my family of four and the guide. Orientation tour almost 3 hours and again only the five of us. So three guides and two were great, one average.

Never saw any guides you could hire at the sites but it was the holidays.

==Mike

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:59 AM

I suggest you check immediately if you're interested in Scala Reale. Some of the tours we were interested in in late Feb. are unavailable.

Byrd
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 04:16 PM

We used Roman Odyssey while in Rome last March. Rahoul was our guide for the Colosseum. He was absolutely wonderful! He brought the stories to life. We will be returning again in March, this time with our 2 children and will be taking the tour with him again.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:55 PM
rsm

Highly suggest Rome Walks used them last summer and good reviews by Rick Steves Frommers. and Fodors. Check them out @ http://www.romewalks.com

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Good morning, Marlib?
There are a number of tour companies such as Carrani and American Express and other that do tours of Rome and its
outskirts, some are half day and other full day tours, some half day are morning, others afternoon. Have used these a number of times in the past in order to get to some of the places that
were not convenient to do with public
transportation. Didnotice regardless of the specific tour you take that sometimes tours combine from the different operators as to have a larger
group...see the concierge in your hotel, they will gladly show you what is available and make the necessary reservatiions, etc. for you...
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 11:40 AM

Check www.vaticantoursandbeyond.com
They give personalized private tours to families. They have excellent guides

peter
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 12:10 PM
fsu42

mendota98, who was your guide for the Ancient Rome tour?

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 04:26 PM
padbrasher

Question to Mendota98:
Do you recall the name of the Scala Reala tour guide that you did not enjoy? My family (including 2 teenagers) is booked for the Roma Antica tour in March and I want to avoid a mediocre experience.

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:30 PM

My cousins had gone to Rome years ago. Their tour guide stated she was feeling quite ill after only a couple of hours with them. They booked a day tour. They felt sorry for her, let her go as she stated she was quite ill. Needless to say an hour later they saw her with another group. Hope this doesnt happen to anyone.