Siegen, Germany (Worth staying??)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have an opportunity to visit Siegen, Germany towards the end of March thru first week in April 2013, coming from the USA. I’m looking for things to do in and around the area, i.e., day trips. Would I be able to hike in this area? I won’t have a car and plan to take public transportation, trains and buses. In doing some research it appears that the nearest cities are Hagen (located 51 miles to the north), Koblenx (65 miles southwest) and Cologne (57 miles west). Are these cities worth a day trip and what kinds of public transportation can I take to get to there? It there enough to see and do in Siegen?

I know the weather can (cold) be a factor since we can’t predict the weather during this time of year and this is okay as I will just have to dress appropriately. On the other hand, I’ve been to Italy a few times around the same time and was blessed with truly amazing weather. Would prefer to be based in this area only and do day trips as I don’t like to move around too much and just concentrate on one area only when traveling especially for such a short trip. I will have accommodations.

jdc
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 07:01 AM

Siegen is not on the typical tourist route in Germany, but there are lots of interesting towns in the area and lots of marked trails for walking/hiking.

The weather is likely to be very changeable and you could have anything from light snowflakes to warm sunshine. Layers and a waterproof jacket will get you through most anything.

Koblenz and Koeln are both worth day trips. Marburg, Herborn and Wetzlar are also worth a visit.

Check www.zws-online.de for bus info and bahn.de for train info.
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 07:59 AM

Siegen is the hometown of painter Peter Paul Rubens, and in the Siegerlandmuseum you find several works of him. There is also a museum of modern art, a historic museum and a tiny museum devoted to the Beatles. There is also an old mine which you can visit.

In the surrounding region you find mountains and reservoirs with excellent hiking opportunities. Freudenberg is a most beautiful village composed of half-timbered houses - do not miss it.

An hour driving time from Siegen (1:30 by train), there is Cologne, one of Germany's most interesting cities, with the magnificent cathedral (including a rich treasury and the shrine of the Three Magi), lots of Roman history, the world-class Museum Ludwig for contemporary art, the Wallraff-Richartz-Museum for medieval art, the Chocolate Museum and a dozen romanesque churches.

Near Hagen, there is an excellent open-air museum (Westfälisches Freilichtmuseum) with historic houses and workshops. Do not miss it!

In the vicinity of Siegen, you may visit the Attahöhle, a large stalactite cave.

You see, although Siegen might not be one of the prettiest towns, there is much to to and see in the area.
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Wanderfrau and Traveller1959, thank you both for responding to my inquiry. I was beginning to think that not many were/are familiar with this town. The information you've given is quite helpful. The condo where I'll likely be staying is located in the Siegerland/Sauerland area which has been described as being very green, surrounded by many hills and little lakes. The town apparently is directly attached to the hiking trail "Rothaarsteig" which is used by many local and foreign visitors and this pleases me very much, although, like I mentioned in my OP going in March-April, can't predict the weather.

I've also learned that Germany's biggest private beer brewery is located in this area and a tour can be organized for me if I wanted to visit.

Agains, many thanks for the wonderful and helpful information. I will post more questions as I finalize my travel.

jdc
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 12:24 AM

Will your condo be directly in Siegen or in a town nearby? If it is another town we can give your more information.

Here is the website of the Rothaarsteig (I am afraid, in German only):

http://www.rothaarsteig.de

But wikpedia is in English:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothaarsteig

I assume you mean the Krombacher Brewery which is located in a town north of Siegen. They produce not only beer but also a family of softdrinks called "Schweppes".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krombacher_Brauerei

Here is the brewery's English website:

http://www.krombacher.com/index.php

And the weather: March/April is the time when winter and spring fight against each other. This means it can be chilly and rainy or you might enjoy sunshine and agreeable temperatures. On the northern slopes of the mountains there might still be some snow.

Hence, dress in layers. Hiking boots are advisable and a rain-proof jacket with a hood. And if you have a bad day - visit a museum or a cave.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 01:21 AM

The description of the Sauerland you got is spot on.
Just take a moment to think about why it is so green.. yes, it is a pretty infamous for rain. And it's usually a few degrees cooler than the Cologne area.

Nevertheless, hiking opportunities are ubiquitious.
Slightly different from the US where you may have a handful of designated and signposted trails in a region, you can expect hundreds of miles of trails in the whole region.
Since you seem to be staying in a smaller town or village, you will see hiking routes signposted also thru the villages. Usually with pubs and restaurants to refuel the batteries.
As few forests here are "natural" but actually cultivated for centuries, you will find a dense network of forest roads, wide and narrow, in addition to footpaths. (Mountain) Biking is also very popular, and unless you will stay in a tiny village you should find a place to rent without problems.

Visiting the brewery can be fun - but don't get too excited to sample it. Krombacher is a big mass market brand like US' Budweiser and similar in "richness" of taste ;-)
It's more or less in Germany as it is in the US: The major brands taste like fresh from the horse, while the local brews take care of beers that still taste like something.

Can second what traveller said about Freudenberg. That's a town worth visiting.
Cologne will be easy and cheap to reach by train (around €20-25 round trip with a day pass for regional trains and local transport).
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Traveller1959 and Cowboy1968, thank you both for the additional information. The town/neighborhood is Rothaarsteig which is near Siegen. It’s only a few minutes to get to the motorway A45 which runs from Dortmund to Frankfurt, and I understand the train connections are also very good. I’m also not sure of the name of the brewery, but to be quite honest I may skip a visit there as I’m not a beer person at all. You’re absolutely right about Freudenberg being a beautiful village. I’m also especially interested in visiting/seeing the castle at Wertheim, which is the city nearest to Freudenberg. I initially wasn’t planning on renting a car, but think I may end up doing just that as it seems that it would be much easier to get around.

jdc