Search

Rome: B&B recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome: B&B recommendation

Hi,
I am looking for accommodation for our family (2 adults & 2 kids) in Rome, for 4 nights in June. Some of the available responses I have received are from Inn Laterano Deluxe near the Colosseum, Kimama B&B in Trastevere, and Cicerone 28 near Vatican. Have any of you stayed in any of these B&Bs? Any comments? If not, on a location basis, which would be best?
Thanks in advance,
Ciny
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Did you check tripadvisor?
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM

The historic centre is usually the best place to stay, especially if this is your first trip to Rome. That would include the areas around the Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, the Campo di Fiori, and the Jewish Ghetto.

Trastevere and the area around the Colliseum are still within walking distance of most sights, and are also popular areas to stay. The area around the Vatican is a bit far away from the things that would most interest a tourist (except for the Vatican of course)

Since you're a family of four, have you considered renting an apartment? An apartment would give you a little more space and a kitchen which can come in handy. It may also be more more economical than getting two rooms at a B&B.

I was very happy renting from realrome.com and there are lots of other agencies that posters can recommend.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I do have some apartments shortlisted from realrome too. But was wondering if it would be better to stay in a B&B so we have some local contacts.
I did check on tripadvisor. The B&Bs have ok reviews though not on top of the popularity scale.
Is Trastevere and Colosseum pretty much the same, covenience wise? Hard to find good places in the historic center now!
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 03:18 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
We stayed at Arco del Lauro in Trastevere in October 2006. Loved the accommodations, loved the area. If this is your first trip, though, I'm not sure Trastevere is the ideal place to stay.

Re: having local contacts. Really not necessary, imo. Everybody speaks English, everybody is helpful. Italy is a very user-friendly country!
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 03:20 PM

a link for Arco del Lauro:
http://www.arcodellauro.it/index.php?lang=en
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Hi ciny,

Some parts of Trastevere are more convenient than others and I'm sure the same is true for the area around the Colliseum. Promixity to bus/metro stops can a difference as well. Do you have the exact addresses of the B&B's?

I've only been to Rome once so I'm no expert but there are lots of posters who know Rome very well. If you post the addresses of the B&B's someone can comment on the specific locations. In fact, you might even want to start a new thread with a title like "Please help with the location of these B&B's in Rome" or something similar. It might catch the eye of the Rome experts who can then give you more help.

Regarding local contacts, everyone has their own comfort level but I stayed in an apartment alone in Rome and I don't speak Italian, and I felt fine. LucieV is right, many Romans know at least a bit of English and in my experience they are more than happy to use it.

In case of emergency I knew that Tim, the manager of Real Rome, was only a phone call away (English is his first language). I also had contact numbers for the owners of the apartment. In fact the owners had put together a book of information for renters with practical stuff about the apartment and also maps and recommendations for restaurants, different kinds of shops including grocery stores, bus routes, etc.

Where ever you decide to stay, I'm sure you and your family will enjoy Rome. When I was there this past winter, I remember thinking what a great city it was for kids.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Hi again,

I just took a look at the Inn Laterano Deluxe, which appears to be right at Piazza San Giovanni in Laterano.

The Kimama B&B says they are at no. 18 via Morosini, in Trastevere. It's southwest of S. Maria in Travestever, maybe about 600 metres to a kilometre away.

I don't know anything about these specific locations. You would have to use public transportation to get to most sights, but the bus system in Rome is very good.

Hopefully someone can be of more help regarding the locations.

The Inn Laterano Deluxe lists more amenities, including air conditioning in every room. But they don't have any photos of the bathrooms up on the website. The Kimama B&B has more photos with pictures of the washrooms.

I don't know which one looks better. From what I've read, B&B's in Rome are often just an apartment where the rooms are rented out individually. The owners may or may not be in the same building. They might make breakfast for you, or they might just leave things like coffee, juice, and pastries in the kitchen for you to get yourself.

Personally speaking, I would feel more comfortable booking a "known quantity", but I realize it can be hard to find something available and within budget.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your detailed responses.
I was hoping someone on this board might have had some experience with these places. Anyways, let me check into the apartments a bit more and also check LucieV's recommendation for availability.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 05:08 PM

ciny,

If you want a fairly reasonable place, in a great location, and with a super helpful owner - look into Il Giardino Rome. It's a little 2 star place on Via XIV di Maggio, in between Trajan's Market and the Quirinale. Katy, the owner, is an Englishwoman who has lived in Roma for 30 years. She and her staff are very welcoming and helpful. They answer e mails quickly. It's small, like most Rome hotels, but clean and cosy. Their street facing rooms have double-paned windows and completely shut out the noise. No elevator, but just 2 flights of stairs.

I was very happy there for 5 nights.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle, will check that too.
Arco del Lauro did not have availability!
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 04:54 PM

ciny, I don't know what your needs are vis-a-vis having definite reservations well ahead of time...so ignore this advice if not helpful:
the last two visits to Italy, we made several reservations at the last minute. We also asked to be put on waiting lists in case of cancellations. Both methods worked really well for us. (That is definitely how we managed to get into the Arco del Lauro!)

I guess my point is this: just because a place tells you they have no availability NOW does not mean they won't have availability two or three weeks from now! Lots of people reserve 2 or 3 places in one city, then wait until the policy-approved cancellation date to cancel the places they no longer need.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip LucieV!
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 11:11 PM

Ciny,

You cant go past B&B BALDASSINI just near the Pantheon. It has fantastic reviews on Trip Advisor as well.

You can use my discount code BBB777 to receive a discount on accommodation.

Your family will love this place.

http://www.baldassinibeb.it/eng/index.html

Great rates, great host.

Melissa
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 09:20 AM

Melissa

If you are really out there: you only have two posts on Fodors, both for this B&B. That sounds an awful lot like fake advertising, but the B&B actually looks good.

When was your stay? What else can you tell us about the place?
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Melissa but they don't seem to have quad rooms
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 11:23 AM

ciny, here is where we stayed October 2008.
http://www.residenzacanali.com/01english.html

It is right in the heart of Rome's historic center, and it is as lovely as Rome gets, imo. The only "drawback" (and the reason its prices aren't higher) is that there is no elevator; we stayed in the topmost suite, which required our climbing up and down 4 flights of stairs several tiimes a day. (For us, the lack of elevator is always a plus, because it allows us to justify those gelatos!) Climbing those stairs also allowed us to have a room with an enormous and elegant patio overlooking the rooftops of Rome...perfect!

We saw several families staying there when we were there.

The owners and managers speak perfect English, so communication is a piece of cake.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you LucieV. No lift might be an issue with the kids at the end of the day
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:22 PM

One more vote for Residenza Canali - my husband and I stayed there, my friends stayed there, and my husband's cousin with children stayed there. Everyone loved the place and the location. Plus there has been someone at the desk 24/7. If you have little ones that you have to carry, perhaps you would mind the steps, but most kids are fine. Only you can tell.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 02:48 AM

Inn Laterano Deluxe may be a bit far from centro historico. Laterano is several city blocks from colosseo and even further from other sites. You may want to get closer to center if possible with kids. Are hotels a possibility?
Hotel Campo dei Fiori is a nice place where english is spoken.
Most hotels have an english speaking staff. Hotel Smeraldo is another small hotel near center. Trastevere locations are all across the river from centro, again more time and travel with kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -