Rome--Aventine Hill

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome--Aventine Hill

We were hoping to explore this area on our next trip to Rome (our 2nd trip) because I've heard it's lovely and we'd like to see that famous keyhole view of St. Peter's.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for any pretty gardens or interesting sites or a good route.

Also wondering how long we should take and if it's actually worth it.

We will have my in-laws with us and was wondering if the walk up the hill was very steep or long. It will also be early July. Is it better to taxi to the top and walk down? It also looks like there's a metro line that runs through the area. Maybe that would work?

I appreciate any advice. Thank you!!!
Dina
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Because the metro stop is on the opposite side of the hill from the keyhole, I don't think that is the best way to get there. It's not a bad walk uphill for anyone in reasonable shape, the grade is moderately steep but not too long. A nice route would be to start at the church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin to see the Bocca di Verita and the lovley mosaic floor inside the church, then cross the street taking Via della Greca to via Clivo dei Publici. This curves up the hill past the church of Santa Sabina which is well worth a stop. Continue past the church of San Alessio and into the Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta where you will find the keyhole. Continue downhill on Via Porta Lavernale past the church of San Anselmo (worth a stop)and finish at the Largo Manilo Gelsomini. You will now be in the Testaccio neighborhood which has many interesting restuarants you could stop at for lunch. I like Perilli on Via Marmorata and Da Felice on Via Mastro Giorgio 29, reservations essential. Or, if you really want to treat yourself, walk down Via Galvani to Checchino dal 1887 for one of the best meals in Rome.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:13 AM

What major landmark is Santa Maria in Cosmedin and the Bocca di Verita close to? What is a good way to reach it?
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Santa Maria in Cosmedin is just northwest (about a block) of the Circus Maximus and just southeast of the Ponte Palatino. There are a couple of small Roman temples right in front of the church. If you are at the major bus interchange at Piazza Venezia, catch any bus going down Via Teatro Marcello toward "Piazza Bocca di Verita."
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Glad to find this thread. Thank you Grinisa for the excellent information. It seems like I found a thread several months ago on the keyhole view--before I knew that I would go to Rome in April. I am thinking the view was through a green gate but in a private garden. True or not? I definitely plan to do this walk.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 01:57 PM

Through a green gate but from the street (Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta). The garden is on the other side of the gate.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:14 PM

The keyhole view is awesome. It sounds simplistic, but it's breathtaking. Do it!