Rome apartment - Piazza del Fico?

Old Nov 10th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome apartment - Piazza del Fico?

Any thoughts on this apartment? I'm looking for something for a friend and myself for five nights in May, centrally located with A/C, preferably wifi and (even better) two bedrooms. This is 120E/night, looks (to me, anyway) like a good location, and almost sounds too good to be true, though the reviews I've found sound great and generally legit. The only concerning thing so far is the 300E deposit we would have to make at checkin; it's one of the very few places I've found where that's required. Am I missing anything?!

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/en/show-...d_appartam=247

Thanks for your input!
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 06:27 PM
cw

About 10 years ago we rented a villa in Sorrento and we had to pay a security deposit when we arrived.

We had no problems, and the money was returned upon our departure. We've since rented in Paris, and we have made the security deposit with our credit card. Again, never a problem.

I don't think this is unusual. Looks like a nice apartment in a good location as long as the 4th floor with stairs is not a problem.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice location, definitely in the thick of things, lots of sights to see, restaurants, cafes, etc., right at your doorstep.

I think I've had the deposit requirement every time or nearly every time I've rented in Rome. No big deal. On a couple of occasions I have arrived and the apartment rep has taken a look at bookish me and just said, "Oh, we don't need the deposit. You don't look like you'll do any damage."

Have a great trip! I hope you love Rome.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 08:55 PM

I've paid deposit on arriving in Rome and had no problems. If this is really located where it claims, it's a great deal, in my opinion.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the reassurance, everyone! The apartment is through Sleep in Italy, which from what I've read seems to be a reputable company, so I'm thinking the location is correct. I emailed the company last night; they emailed back by this morning and were very responsive and helpful. The only negative the reviews mentioned (besides the stairs, which isn't ideal but we can handle it!) is a few bars on the street. But I always travel with earplugs and at least one person said the windows and shutters blocked the noise, so I'm thinking we'll be okay.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 01:15 PM

I agree this looks good, as long as you are willing to climb four flights of stairs. And because ceilings are very high I Italian buildings, those are going to be LONG flights! I agree, since the place has a/c, if you have to close the windows at night to block the. Koise it should be fine. We have rented from sleepinitaly several times and had good experiences. And the security deposit is pretty standard.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 02:01 PM

a few years back we stayed at b & b navona first in piazza navona www.residenzanavonafirst.com, is more like apt as you have a key to come & go & have breakfast in a cafe round corner, great area & fab place if you don't get the other one
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 02:03 PM

sorry its in campo del fiori nearby!!
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Sorry about the typos. Sometimes I mess up using the Ipad.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Wow! That is a GREAT location. The low price may reflect no elevator - shouldn't be a problem if you can walk a few flights of stairs.

My new favorite restaurant & wine bar is 1-2 short blocks from Piazza del Fico (on Via del Coronari)

http://www.ristorantesangallo.com/

Highly, HIGHLY recommended. I suggest this place even to folks staying far away (like beyond thew Spanish Steps). It's also a great stop for in between meals if you just want a nice place for a drink and (killer) snacks. If weather is nice, sit outside.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

charnees - no worries. I got the gist.

bardo1 - that is very reassuring! I don't think the no-elevator thing will be a big issue. Actually I had convinced myself that the apartment was on the fourth floor (European fourth), so when I realized that it was on the Italy third/US fourth floor, it seemed great in comparison! That restaurant looks yummy. What sort of prices does it have? I don't seem to see them on the site. Sounds great, though!

Leely2 - I forgot to reply to your "bookish" comment. We may have a similar experience... my friend and I don't exactly look like troublemakers either!
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 07:49 PM

Bookmarking, with a few likely looking but untried thrown in FWIW -

http://www.vrbo.com/157018

http://www.vrbo.com/32035

http://www.realrome.com/propreginella1.html

http://www.kamehall.com/rates.php
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

I got the go-ahead from my friend to make the reservation, so I just emailed Sleep in Italy. If for some reason this one doesn't work out, the other suggestions will be very helpful. Thank you for your help, everyone! I'll let you know in the trip report how we liked it. (Is it sad that I'm already writing the trip report in my head?!)
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 12:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi jent,

so long as the lack of lift is no problem for you, the position of this apartment could hardly be better, i think.

we stayed round the corner from the via coronari and found ourselves there a lot. just a few of its delights:

across the road from the sangello is a gelateria that makes its own cakes as well as ice-cream - really yummy.

there is another really good restaurant a bit further down the street - [click on my screen name and look at my trip report from last year to see what it's called as I can't remember] - as well as a supermarket. there are also lots of antique shops /galleries which are great for window shopping, and on the nearby via dei governi vecchi there are many non-chain clothes shops, where I found some lovely things for my and for my DD.

walk towards the piazza navona you wil find another area with loads of restaurants frequented by locals - again look at my trip report if you want the details.

have a great trip!
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

annhig, that is GREAT information. Thank you so much!! I'm getting so excited about this apartment. I'll definitely have a look at your trip report!
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 06:37 PM

(Mmmmmm, bardo1, bookmarking that restaurant rec for a spring trip to Rome. Grazie!)
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 03:34 AM

jent - not at all.
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 04:03 AM

annhig - we're going to be staying in an apartment on via del Governo Vecchio in July so we'll be checking out your tips as well! Thanks!
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nearby your apartment on vicolo di Montevecchio, the little restaurant Montevecchio is quite good, although with a small and a serious woman running the dining room. Same location, Osteria del Pegno used to be really good too--I haven't been in years but the owner of the last apartment I rented in that area said it's still going strong.

If you have time, pop into Santa Maria della Pace and check out the Bramante Cloister. There is a small museum there and also a cafe with wifi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria_della_Pace

San Salavatore in Lauro on via dei Coronari has a small museum with changing exhibits for a different taste of Roman sightseeing.
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM

here's an interesting and useful view of the area on googlemaps:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?rlz=1T...ed=0CBcQ8gEwAA

plus, if you put into search any business you're looking for eg "cafe", or "supermarket", it will show those too.

the via panico at the end of the via dei coronari holds lots of interest - a lovely chocolate shop with a very friendly proprietor, a sushi takeaway, a neighbourhood cafe where we had brealfast most mornings, the tiny bar where you will be served by the erstwhile star of La dolce vita, a stonemasons, several restaurants, a supermarket, etc, etc.

difficult to go wrong here, I think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -