Rome & Tuscany Itinerary Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our Italy trip is in mid-May with group of 8 (3 couples and 2 single women, ages 46-57). This is the first time to Italy for all. We are flying in and out of Rome as this was only option for some who are using FF miles We are working with a Travel Agent and have an appt on Friday to firm up our details so looking for some advice from the Fodorite community.

Arrive in Rome on Thursday, May 10th with TA booking airport pickup and transport to hotel with morning free and "City Tour" in the afternoon. The hotel the TA has booked is the Empire Palace and her quote is very expensive, $570.00 US per night. (I checked this hotel on the internet and found price to be $140.00 per night less so we'll be asking her about this.) May need to look at less expensive options but location will be important for such a short stay. On Friday we have a daytrip to the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. I realize this is a long day trip, but we really wanted to see this area. I believe we take the train to Naples and are picked up by a driver for the Amalfi Coast drive, lunch in Positano maybe?, and the Pompeii tour.

Saturday a.m. we have a private tour of the Vatican booked. After this, the TA has booked our transportation by private van to Florence where we pick up two rental mini-vans at the airport, then on to the house we have rented in Montecatini (with Parker villas) for the week. This is where we have some differing opinions. Some think we should consider the train from Rome to Florence as that is part of the "Italian Experience" but then we would need transportation with luggage to the airport to pick up cars unless they can be picked up at the train station. Any opinions as to what would be more time and cost efficient? We'll be going directly to find our house and do grocery shopping and get settled in and come back to Florence on another day.

We will have Sunday thru Friday for daytrips. The trips we are considering are; Florence, Sienna & San Gimignano & Montalcino, Lucca & Pisa, Venice, Cinque Terre. Would appreciate any input on these ideas or others. If anyone is familiar with restaurants in Montecatinni or these other towns, that would also be welcome.

We leave on Saturday to drive back to Rome and return vans at Rome airport. Are booked at the airport Hilton on Saturday night for our Sunday 11:30 a.m. flight. Any recommendations for our Saturday drive back to Rome or Saturday evening in Rome?

Thank you for your responses.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 07:38 AM

Why are you getting driven to Florence to pick up the vans? Why not be driven to Montecantini and pick up the vans there? Is the hotel price in Rome for one room? If so, that sounds like a ridiculous price to me.
And the hotel is not rally in the "Spanish Steps/Trident" area, although they advertise themselves as such.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 07:44 AM

That hotel in Rome really isn't in a great location. Especially for a short visit, I'd want to be more the the historical center, near Piazza Navona or the Pantheon. Is that price of $570 per night for each room? You can certainly get something in a better location for a lot less than that. Do a search here for Albergo del Senato (right by the Pantheon). If they aren't full for your dates, it would probably be a much better choice. You don't need a travel agent to book this. They tend to choose hotels that give them the most commission.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

We are certainly going to reconsider the TA recommendation on the Rome hotel. I did a quick check on car rental in Montecatini (Hertz) and the closest location is Pistoia which would be fine except they are not open on Sat afternoon or Sunday. Maybe this is why she has us going to Florence. Don't know what agency she is booking the cars thru so maybe there are smaller, local car rental options available in the area that will work. I'll ask her to check this too.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:38 AM

There appears to be a Europcar location in Montecatini. I would suggest you do your own research for hotel and car rental (Avis, Europcar, Autoeurope, etc) if you are concerned about getting the best value for your money. Just based on the hotel your TA recommended, she or he does not sound like an Italy expert to me. If your rental begins on Saturday afternoon, perhaps you can be driven to the house and stay without a car on Sunday; then pick up the cars on Monday. They can also deliver the cars to your villa, I would guess, for a small fee.

If I were doing this trip, I would first investigate just how familiar your TA is with the areas you will be visiting. Are you locked into using this person?
Have you tried getting advice from the Parker Villas contact? Would you mind sharing which villa you are renting?
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:58 AM

Hi Paige,

My first thought on reading your TAs plans is that the person really isn't someone you should be using. I too really question their knowledge.

Very important point: Venice is NOT a day trip from Tuscany.

I would really just plan this trip using the web and the Fodorites. You will save a ton of money and get much better expert advise on everything.

Happy planning!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 10:05 AM

Dayle is right. I missed the part about the daytrip from Tuscany to Venice. Way too long to get there!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 10:36 AM

About rental cars, a couple of things of which to be aware:

1. The majority of rental cars in Italy are manual transmission, so if you need an automatic, make sure that is specified.

2. There is more than one size of "mini-van". Some are quite small, and they hold much less luggage than an American mini-van. Look at www.hertz.com or www.avis.com to see what the "fleet" consists of in Italy. When they say the vehicle holds 1 large and 2 small suitcases they mean it. From your description, you'll need the luggage carrying capacity only on your return to Rome Airport. I urge you to find out exactly what is the class of vehicles that you intend to rent.
3. Even if a website shows only smaller vehicles (i.e., compacts or midsized) at a certain location, you may be able to arrange for a larger vehicle at that pick-up site beforehand.

While I agree with other posters that you could probably do better, especially with your Rome hotel, or could use a different travel agent, think about whether you really want that responsibility. I have arranged trips for large family groups, and a villa rental for a group of friends, and there is a huge burden because you feel responsible whether they have a good time, or if something doesn't work out quite so well.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 01:28 PM

I agree with others, that you might do better to plan the trip yourself using internet. We did everything ourselves when we made a similar trip and had no trouble and saved a lot. Regarding day trips from Florence: we very much enjoyed Sienna and San Gimignano and the drive from Florence in that direction is nice. Pisa is quick to get to and worth seeing. Lucca is also a very pleasant trip and a low key, pretty place. Venice is definitely too far for a day trip, but if you don't plan to get back to Italy anytime soon, it is worth your while to add on a few days and spend them in Venice. Maybe take the train from Florence to Venice and then from Venice to Rome when you are leaving. I would suggest that you stay in Venice during those two or three days and avoid the time wasting process of getting in and out of town. Also, one of the appealing things about Venice is having a few days when you only walk or use water transportation. Avoid the San Marco area and you can find affordable hotels. Have fun.
Lee
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

I think we are set with the TA and she is supposed to be very knowledgable on Italy. We really felt the need for a TA since none of us had ever been to Italy and really wanted her resources for some of the drivers and guided tours we will take. When we meet with her on Friday we may elect to take over some of the portions on our own; maybe the auto rental and the Rome hotel. The TA did not recommend the day trip to Venice, this is just something that a couple of our group want to see. Personally, I'm saving Venice for another trip - gives me reason to need to return!

So, what Rome hotels would you recommend? We do want private bathrooms and good location to walk to some sights. There's got to be some great choices at less than $430.00 per night! Also, suggestions for the first morning before we do our City Tour?

Ekscruncy - the villa is Villa della Salute in Montecatini. I really think we'll want the vans for Saturday and Sunday. We'll need to buy groceries when we arrive and it will give us more flexibility on Sunday for an outing if we have transportation. Maybe that's why the TA has us picking up at Florence airport if the smaller cities rental offices aren't open on Saturday afternoon and Sunday.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:49 AM

Go to http://slowtalk.com/groupee/ and search for a different TA.
Seriously,anyone who recommends a Venice day-trip from Florence is not working in your best interest.I found the Empire Palace some $275 less per night!

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:28 AM

You also might think about getting three regular cars rather than two large vans.I don't think you will enjoy driving a van through the tiny streets of the small towns you will be visiting. And three cars would allow more flexibility.

There are so many posts on Rome hotels here; the Albergo del Senato is a favorite. The Minerva is also in a great location (far better than the location of the Empire Palace). With your hotel budget you can have so many choices; take a look at Trip Advisor or do a search here for Rome hotels.

Again I question the experience of this travel agent; does she really know Italy or has she taken a couple of fam trips over the years?
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:51 AM

Actually, I don't think a day trip to Venice is such a bad idea. Our first trip to Venice was a day trip from Florence. We caught an early train, got there by noon, took a gondola ride from the train station to San Marco, had lunch at Cafe Florian, wandered around the side streets, took a vaporetto ride back up the Grand Canal, and took a train back in time for dinner in Florence. It was a glorious, sunny fall day, and the city was beautiful. We loved it so much we've gone back to Venice three separate times, staying a week each time.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:01 AM

I know some of your group wants to see it all, but this trip will be extremely exhausting if you keep your planned itinerary. Just take a look at your plans day by day:

May 10 Arrive Rome; get to hotel, see some sights
May 11 Train to Naples (2 hours); private driver to see Amalfi Coast (36 miles); then to Pompeii (30 miles); then return to Rome by train (2 hours)
May 12 Vatican tour in A.M. (4 hours); afternoon a private van takes you all to Florence to pick up two minivans at airport (170 miles); then to house rental (62 miles) and then grocery shopping
May 13 Montecatini at house and/or local area to relax
May 14 Florence (62 miles each way)
May 15 San Gimignano (27 miles) and Siena (26 miles) and return
May 16 Montalcino (70 miles) and return
May 17 Pisa (55 miles) and Lucca (23 Miles) and return
May 18 Montecatini to Florence (62 miles) and then Venice by train from Florence (3 hours each way)
May 19 Drive to Rome airport, drop off vans (190 miles)
May 20 Flight home

Please keep in mind that all travel distances are one way and that driving distances can be deceiving…driving times always take longer than the estimates. If you look at May 11, you will be in transit between 5 and 6 hours if all goes well, and Pompeii is all walking.

To enhance your enjoyment of this trip, my suggestion would be to slow down just a bit by eliminating Venice and to even consider eliminating your Amalfi Coast day. As it is, you barely have one day in Rome. Besides the Vatican, you just have your arrival day to see anything in Rome…and that is when you are jet lagged.

Think about saving Venice and the Amalfi Coast for when you can spend a bit more time to really enjoy these fabulous areas.

As for Rome, since you will be spending such a short time there, consider finding a hotel in the Centro Storico area. At least that way you will be in close proximity to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, etc. and you will able to experience some of the more lovely neighborhoods on your way.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM
jbm

Not to be rude, sorry am I'm no TA expert, but this trip sounds exhausting. Where is the time to explore on foot and see the sights and relax at night at a good restaurant? Sounds like you will need a vacation after this trip. Be sure that anyone using FF miles can't fly into Rome and out of Florence. I just this week booked our tickets and was able to do that for no extra miles (only 50,000 per ticket, the least amt to Europe.) Call the airline directly and check!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:23 PM

We are also making a 1st trip to Italy and would appreciate feedback. From what I have read so far we will definitely be going to SMN either in Florence or Rome, loved that thread, and will NOT drive in Rome!
3 adults (1 grandma or Nonna)
2 girls, 9 and 12
Arrive Rome Sat 3/31 from NYC
leave Rome Mon 4/9
We're renting a house in Trevignano_Romano (Lake Bracciano) from a distant friend of the family and want to make day trips from there. We have a car, (but not in Rome!) Two days I am concerned about are Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday. I am thinking of going to church in Rome on Palm Sunday and in our town on Easter. Should we plan to eat at "home"? Are restaurants serving on those days and how far in advance should we make reservations? It may be awkward to eat at "home" since there is a live in housekeeper and I'm trying to find out if she will be having her family there for family dinner. She may not want five more.

We may spend Sunday Monday and Tuesday in touring Rome,(thanks for time elevator suggestion) then Wed up to Florence and overnight, then back down through Pisa and Siena. or should we try to do it two trips without overnight? Only my husband drives manual rental car. Is the train a better option to go to Florence?

It's also our anniversary, so we want at least one special dinner for the two of us, then mostly family style (trattorias?). Recommendations welcome.
Four of us will try anything, the 12 year old will have to learn to try at least one new thing!

I've loved reading the various posts so far!
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Once again the TA DID NOT recommend the day trip to Venice. This is something some in our group want to do and I was asking opinions about the feasiblity of that and so far only ladylawyer has voted in favor of it (and she was already in Florence when she did the day trip to Venice). I, for one, don't want to spend over six hours traveling for a day trip. Instead, my DH and I will most likely drive to Cinque Terre to spend the day.

I agree that day two, Amalfi Coast and Pompeii, will be a long day, but it's something we really want to see. Once we get to our house in Montecatini I think it will be a relaxing trip. This is why we rented a 5 bedroom house for a week rather than 3 nights hotel in Florence and three nights at another Tuscany city, we felt we'd have a much more relaxing time with the ability to lounge in the house and by the pool in the evenings. We did allow a day or two for hanging around in Montecatini Terme and Alto as I planned to combine the Montalcino, Sienna and San Gimignano in one day. Leave in the a.m. for Montalcino and arrive mid-morning, stroll around the town, then on to Sienna to have lunch and stay until late afternoon, then to San Gimi for early evening and maybe dinner. These towns all appear to be on the same general highway so isn't this doable?

I checked the website someone suggested for rental cars and found the rates to be about the same as the TA has quoted. None of the offices in any of the towns in or near our villa are open on Saturday afternoon or Sunday so we will be forced to go to Florence to get the rentals. Do you think it is more economical from a time and money aspect for eight people to take the train from Rome to Florence and then taxi to the airport to pick up rental cars or be driven from Rome to Florence airport?

Our airline tickets are all purchased. One couple is flying Delta and when we booked flights in October, they could only get FF in business class which cost them lots of miles but at least they had them. The rest of us are on American and are in economy class. Flying from Oklahoma City doesn't give you a lot of options. If it were possible I would have flown into a city other than Rome and saved the entire Rome part for another trip but I don't think American offered many options there.

I'll check trip advisor and some of the other recommended websites to search the Rome hotel options.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:37 AM

Hi Paige,

Really trying to do Montalcino, SG, and Siena all in one day is far too much!
Siena is good for almost an entire day itself. Also, remember that most shops/enoteca close between 1 - 3 or even 4pm. Driving distances are one thing, but roads are windy and you must allow for getting lost and back on track, then finding parking, etc......Montalcino is quite a ways further south.

Slow down and enjoy where you are rather than trying to cross off x number of places.

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:46 AM

I absolutely agree with Dayle.

And not only are the roads winding and and slower, but when you get to each town, you can't just drive up to a restaurant and park outside. You will either need to park at a lot outside the walls of the city or at a central location and walk, walk, walk. And these are hilltowns so walking can become tiresome.

Three towns in one day just isn't possible if you want to enjoy these lovely towns. It is doable, but not recommended.

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:28 PM

I am in agreeance with many here: your trip is too jam-packed. The Itinerary sounds distinctly like one I had planned in past (and discarded on day 3 out of exhaustion).
I like a good TA..let's not bad-mouth this one too much! (a $570USD hotel room really isn't crazy for Rome..and the TA has to make a living too)

For Rome Hotels: I like nice. Not super-expensive nice, but a good standard. I stayed at Ciccerone in Rome last time I was there and had a nightly rate of about 240USD, double occupany). As for the train, while it is a very "Italian" experience, cars are always my preference.
I cannot underscore how important it is to consider the roads in Italy: while they have fantastic highways, just getting to a motorway exit can be a haul. Be sure to check with your TA as to where the nearest motorway exit is to your house...if it's a 1/2 drive just to get on the highway, you can figure this into your travel plans as well.
Tuscany highlight: Lucca, Florence, Siena, Certaldo (do take the funicular up for lunch a with amazing views!), montalcino, and wine tour or 2 in Chianti. Remember: this vacation should be relaxing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -