Reload this Page >

Rome and Naples--Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 1998, 07:13 AM
Missy

I will be visiting Rome and Naples in September, 2 days in Rome, 5 in Naples and then back to Rome for 4 days (my boyfriend is in the military and his ship is SUPPOSED to be in Naples those days). I need suggestions on where to stay, and the best things to see and do. I am very interested in budget, and wanted to know if anyone knew of any info on Albergo Perugia (V. d. Colosseo 7) in Rome and Le Fontane del Mare (V. Niccolo Tommaseo 14) in Naples (I pulled them out of Fodor's and Frommer's travel guides), and the best way to book whichever hotels I decide on. Thanks in advance

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 02:25 PM
Lois

We stayed at the Hotel Carriage in Rome. It was near the Spanish Steps, so the central location allowed us to walk everywhere. It is a tiny "business" hotel that you would walk right by, and I think you have to fax them directly, but it was inexpensive, small but cute rooms (top two floors give access to a terrace) and good continental breakfast. We were only there for two days before a cruise, but we were able to do the Victor Emmanuel Monument/Forum/Colloseum/Piazza Novona/Pantheon in one day and St. Peter's (including climbing to the top) and the Vatican Musuem/Sistine Chapel on the other. Have a great time! <BR>

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 08:53 PM
kim

was in italy last september, drove to alot of cities. try to stay a little south of naples in sorrento (its beautiful), we drove into naples and drove right out, did not like!

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 05:44 AM
kris

While you're in Naples, you might consider going to the ruins at Pompeii if you're intererested in history/archaeological sites. You can easily, if you buy a small guide book, tour the sight yourself. I thought it was fascinating. Lois's suggestions on what to see in Rome were on target-the Vatican is very impressive and you should allot a day for that. Rome is a great town to wander around. Be sure to find the statue of Moses by Michelangelo (the church its at should be in Fodor's guide) <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 11:53 AM
Howard

In Rome we stayed at the Gregoriana, on a narrow street near the top of the Spanish steps. Small, charming and not expensive. Phone: 011-39-6-679-4269. If you stay anywhere near the Sp Steps, don't miss Alla Rampa, a wonderful restaurant to the right of the foot of the steps. What to do? Our musts: St. Peters-Vatican Museum-spend an entire day. Castel St. Angelo is fascinating. Colloseum of course. The Pantheon. We followed the Michelangelos and Berninis to many churches and museums. If those two artists are of interest, I can give you more detailed locations of where to find dozens.

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 03:22 PM
Missy

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Has anyone heard anything about Hotel Forte in Rome? I can book that one online, as opposed to Albergo/Hotel Perugia, which only seems to be heard of in Fodor's Italy Up Close. I would prefer to stay in Naples because we will have to check in with the ship on a regular basis, but I am considering staying on Capri instead, if we don't have to check in every day. I am definitely planning on seeing the Vatican/St. Peters, Castel Sant' Angelo, the Forum, Colosseum, Pantheon and Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, plus whatever else I can squeeze into Rome. For Naples, we are going to see Pompeii (I studied Latin in high school), the Archeological museum, Capodimonte palace and take a day to go to Capri.