Rome & Florence hotel

Search

Rome & Florence hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2018, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome & Florence hotel

Looking for advice please. Will be in Italy in September and need reasonably priced hotels in both Rome and Florence. Looking to send about $150 a night and would like it to be clean and comfortable. Breakfast included would be wonderful. Florence I will be arriving after flying into Rome from US and then taking a train up so a long travel day. Will be spending one full day before leaving early the next day to train to Pisa (have been to Florence before so it's just a quick pit stop) So I need someplace easy to get to and in a good area to just quickly go through town and soak it all in.

Rome I will be taking a train in from Siena, staying a few days and then picking up a car and headed south. My GF has never been to Rome so we will be hitting all the tourist sites. Would like to be in an area that is easy to get to metros since we will be covering a lot of ground in a short time. This 2 1/2 week trip is more about Tuscany and Amalfi and tracing family roots and Florence/Rome are just necessary stops. Those few days in each city will be the only frantic "hurry up and see everything" days. That is why I am hoping for hotels that are in easy spots to run around and wont break the bank. Thank you all in advance for your help.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 04:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I suggest you do some searches on websites like booking.com in your budget range and within any personal preferences/parameters you have. Unless you would pre-pay your reservations, I would search in euros, not dollars, because the exchange rate varies over time. Create short lists of hotels you'd consider and post them here. It's much easier to offer opinions on a list that gives a general idea of what you're looking for, as opposed to making somewhat random recommendations.

Since you've been to Florence before, you must have some idea of what part of the city you'd want to be in for such a short stay, so narrow your search to specific area/areas.

As for the metro in Rome, I've only used it once over multiple trips totaling 20+ days and only then because it was raining. I wouldn't pick a hotel based on its proximity to a metro station.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 11:30 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
I find
- the Monti/Esquilino area (roughly between Termini and Coloseum) in Rome
- the area between Santa Maria Novella Station and Duomo in Florence
always works well for me in terms of proximity to pubic transport and access to sights of tourist interest, while offering accommodation choices meeting most budgets.