Rome & Florence first timer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking my spouse to Italy for anniversary ... our first trip to Europe. We can only do 6 nights, so I'm going with 3 in Rome and 3 in Florence. Will have to save Tuscany for next time around when we are seasoned.

Three questions for all of you experienced posters (whom I have enjoyed reading for a couple weeks now):

(1) Anyone familiar with the Ambasciatori Palace hotel in Rome. It is well rated and available thru AMEX Travel, unlike several other hotels recommended on this site and in Fodors. We prefer comfort, centrality and English fluency.

(2) Anyone familiar with either the Plaza Lucchesi or the Negli Orafi in Florence? Both are on the river, rather than up near Duomo. Any comments welcome.

Lastly, if I were to spend one of my Florence days renting a car and driving out to Tuscany, where is best place to go. Pisa? Siena? A winery?

Thanks so much.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 10:19 PM
Melissajoy

I love Siena! If you leave Florence for 1 day do stop in Siena. Or better yet, stay in Siena at the Palazzo Ravizza with a garden view and do a day-tour of Florence! (You can see out over the wall of siena and into the hills of Tuscany from the back rooms of the Palazzo Ravizza!)

I had reservations once for the Plaza Lucchesi in Florence, but I cancelled them because it was so overpriced for the nights I wanted. But I understand it is a nice hotel, and it's on the north side of the Arno but don't forget there's a busy street on that side of the Arno so a river view would still have traffic below. I understand that the Hotel Lungarno on the south side of the river may have some rooms with a river view where there isn't a busy road...That's another expensive hotel.
The Plaza Lucchesi is very close for visiting the Uffizi Gallery and the Santa Croce area, by the way.

We were in Florence for 3 nights and didn't have time to do nearly as much as you might think. But on the other hand I found I didn't want to stay longer than that, I was relieved to get out into the countryside, taking the scenic route through the chianti area to Siena. I prefered staying in the more tranquil Siena than in the bustling city of Florence, though Florence has so much great art you will see 3 nights isn't even enough time to scratch the surface!

For Rome, sorry, I don't know your hotel choice, but ours was very central...Hotel Nazionale a Montecitorio on Piazza Montecitorio, a classy 4-star hotel with a nice breakfast buffet. It is near the Pantheon.

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:19 AM

I don't think the Ambasciatori Palace hotel in Rome is at all central. Although you are steps to the Villa Borghese, most sights will all be quite a hike (of course you might be intending to taxi everywhere - I don't know).
The Pantheon is considered to be the most central area for seeing the sights in Rome. I would reconsider and start looking at places within 10 blocks or so of the Pantheon.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
www.venere.com has hotel listings with maps that will help you see which hotels are well located. You can search by ratings or locations.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:47 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about English fluency in Rome, you will find it very widely spoken. I don't know the hotel you are considering in Rome, what is your budget?

For Florence, I would pick the Degli Orafi (I assume you mean this thoughyou wrote "Negli Orafi" in your message) over the Lucchesi based mostly on what I have read on tripadvisor.com about thin walls at the Lucchesi. That being said, I think the Lucchesi is a bit more luxurious. If you choose the Degli Orafi, try to get a river view room, as some of the rooms have obscured views due to the Varasi corridor which is in front of the hotel.

No matter what hotels you are thinking about, do ask about room size, as rooms tend to be very much on the small side in European hotels. Anything under 20 square meters if very small for two people, between 20-25 square meters is a squeeze, between 25-30 is adequate but not spacious, and above 30 is good. IMO, it is worth the extra money for a larger room. For Rome hotels, you are better off with a courtyard room or room facing a side street, as noise is quite a problem. There aren't a lot of views from Rome hotels anyway (unless you can get a Parthenon or Vatican view, only a few hotels with this), so a view is not really that important. To me, a view is very important in Florence, and I would try for a river or Duomo view if possible. Noise is a problem in Florence as well, along the river it seems to be more muffled than other places.

With three days in Florence, you could easily take a day trip into the Tuscan countryside. I would opt for Siena or San Gimignano, although there are many other lovely towns. I would avoid Pisa, too far and not anywhere as charming as the other places. You could also take the bus up to Fiesole for an afternoon as well, about 30 minutes from Florence with a great view.

We did the "Beautiful Views of Florence" walking tour with Florence Walks that was very good, it took us up to Piazzale Michelangelo for the great view and then around the immediate countryside around Florence. Not strenuous walking and you get to see different and quieter quarters of the city. Take a look www.artviva.com . Their bike tour is also good, but a little bit of a workout.

If you want to do walks on your on, for a good walking guide (with some driving itineraries as well) to the Tuscan countryside around Florence, get a copy of the walking guide published by Sunflower books. . I first read about them on this site, and have used their books in Amalfi and the Florence are, and thought they were very useful. Their website is http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/walking_titles.htm. They rate hikes by difficulty and time it takes to complete all or each section, and give good directions on how to reach each walk by public transport. They publish many other walking guides to various places in Europe.

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:28 AM
ira

Hi lexi,

Don't bother with a car.

You can take the bus from Florence to Siena for a daytrip.

Schedules at http://www.sita-on-line.it/
You want Toscana.