Search

Rome

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome

My husband and I are planning a 2week trip to Rome the first 2 weeks of June 2011. We have done some traveling years ago, so we do have some sense of what we want to see and do, however we have never been to Italy. We are planning on renting an apartment for the 2 weeks and concentrating solely on Rome.

My question is, are we wrong in wanting to spend the entire 2 weeks in Rome? Should we plan on dividing the time between other cities? Our goal is to go back to Italy again in 3 years, other European countries as time allows in the next 10 years.

Thanks for any input.
Sincerely
RoseMary King
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 09:34 AM

RoseMary, I'm a fan of slow travel, so I think 2 weeks in Rome is a brilliant idea. I've been to Rome many times, so I am biased, but I think you would find so much to keep you occupied and you could really savour the city. June can also be very hot, so it would be more comfortable to not be rushing around madly!

If you did feel like getting out of town a bit, you could easily do a day trip by train to Orvieto, or even Florence on the fast train.

Enjoy your travel planning!
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

sacc,
Thanks so much for your advice. I guess we could play around with the idea of going to Florence once we get there, even if only for overnight. I am so glad you said it could be hot. I meant to ask that question.
Thanks again.
RoseMary
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 09:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Rosemary,

of course you are not "wrong" to think of spending 2 weeks in rome, but unusually for me, I'm going to suggest that you split up your trip with one week in Rome, and another on the Bay of Naples somewhere. June would be a wonderful time to visit that area, and for a first time in Rome, 2 weeks might prove somewhere overwhelming.

I would suggest either flying into Naples and out of Rome, or if you can't get an open jaw flight, as soon as you land in Rome, getting the train to the south, then coming back to Rome for your second week. that way you don't split up your weeks, and you're in the right place for your flight home.

there are loads of threads about places to stay near Naples - there's Naples itself, Sorrento, the amalfi, Positano, or even the island of Capri.

yes you could do day trips from Rome, but they woudl almost always take you to other cities, and in June, that woudl not be my first choice.

another idea would be to rent a car on your arrival and just tour the area around Rome [Umbria]. there is a whole thread on this, if you search the europe forum. as there are only two of you, in June you probably wouldn't have to book. then at the end of the week you coudl return your car to, say, Orvieto, and get the train to Rome.

Have a great trip!
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

sacc,

Since you have been to Rome many times, do you have a favorite area of the city to stay in. We have found several apartments in the Spanish Steps area and also some lovely places in the Borghese gardens area. Would love your advice on areas of the city.
Thanks
RoseMary
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 10:14 AM

I spent ca. one week in Rome, counting day trips to Ostia Antica and Tivoli. Two weeks would allow a really thorough exploration of the city.

The suggestions to head south for part of your time (Naples, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri, Amalfi Coast) make good sense depending on your interests (haven't been here, so I can't recommend further via experience).

You can take a train to Florence and spend some time there as well. This city is terrific, especially if you're an art lover.
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 12:04 PM

What are your interests, RoseMary? It's hard to make recommendations without knowing more about what you like/dislike and are interested in...
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

We want to see every landmark, museum and hole in the wall; eat really well, and experience all there is in Rome. My feeling was 2 weeks was not going to be enough and from all the books I have read; I think I may be right.
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 01:20 PM

I think it's a fine idea to stay in Rome. My only caveat is that it is very intense. Traffic, people, noise and perhaps heat can wear on you. OTOH, since you have two weeks, you can easily take a day off and just relax without doing any sightseeing. One advantage of being near the Borghese Garden is that it's a public park. There's also some pretty areas across the river between Trastevere and the Vatican -- Janiculum Hill. And a trip to Orvieto would be a lovely low-intensity excursion.

You could also find a nice place in Trastevere. I think I would definitely look for something with a terrace or little garden access if I were in your shoes.
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 01:47 PM

Hello RoseMary, my late husband and I always stayed two weeks in Rome. Having said that however we always had two months in Italy so we of course were able to visit other cities and locations. But Rome was so loved just being in Rome for two weeks would have been fine for us. Some of the advantages of having more time in Rome is if it gets hot and humid one can go back to their lodging and take a siesta or just relax after a long leisurely lunch, take another shower and go out again later. One also has the time to walk in various neighborhoods away from the tourist areas which at least for us was always interesting and fun. Each of us have a different style of travelling and what we want out of a trip. From what you have posted it sounds like you two are as we were and as I now am, I lost my husband some time back.
And of course as others have indicated if you suddenly feel the urge or need to "escape" Rome for a day here and there you can certainly do so. Best regards!
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 01:53 PM

RoseMary, 2 weeks can work well, as it gives you time to also do some overnight trips, using Rome as a central base. By using an apartment, it really isn't a big deal to spend a night or so in other places and gets real handy in that you can just take an overnight bag with you.

If you wish, go to my website and look under the GoogleMaps menu. You'll find six tours laid out for you. Go to the Library menu area and you find all kinds of free stuff to download, including our own free guidebook which tells you how to print it yourself and have it bound for about $4 at most local office supply stores.

www.passagetoroma.com

dave
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 01:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
"We want to see every landmark, museum and hole in the wall."

Good luck with that. There is more to see in Rome than any other place I have ever been. But if you are planning to explore many of the ancient ruins and monuments, I highly recommend watching the lectures of a Yale course in ancient Roman architecture available on line for free at http://oyc.yale.edu/history-of-art/roman-architecture. It discusses many sites in Rome, Pompeii, and elsewhere that I would see now with much greater understanding than before I followed this course.
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love Rome--it's the Eternal City, after all. Two weeks would not be enough for me, particularly if I wanted to do any day trips/overnights and if the heat might slow down my sightseeing. Rome at a slow pace, though I am not by nature a "slow traveler" is far more enjoyable for me.

That said, I think with two weeks if you wanted to fly open jaw into Venice, spend a few days there and then train to Rome for another 9 days or so, you wouldn't be miserable.
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oops, sorry, forgot to preview before posting. I meant to say "fly into Venice or Florence or wherever..."
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 06:02 PM

My husband and myself returned 12 november from a med.cruise and we began in Rome. I went to many greek islands, amalfi coast, and Venice. Not sure if it is because Rome is where we started, or what, but it was without a doubt my favorite place, We hated to leave, and feel we could have spent a lot more time there. If you want to see every crook and cranny, then I think you will be fine with 2 weeks. As said no one knows what you like but I loved Amalfi coast as well. Especially Positano. It is just breathtaking but of course a different beauty then Rome. As long as you are in Italy you cannot go wrong. Yes stay near or around the Spanish steps. We did not, but from what I saw if I returned I would stay there or in that vicinity. Best to you.
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 09:02 PM

Rome is one of my favorite cities in Europe, and we keep returning to it (DH really likes it as well). And you're right, there is SO much to see and do there. You could easily spend 2 weeks and only see some of what you want to see.

I'm not so interesting in the areas south of Rome, except for Pompeii, so have no suggestions in that direction. Though, if you want to visit Pompeii, you might want to consider an overnight stay in that area.

We really prefer to stay in the area close to Piazza Navona. While there is not large park nearby (except for the park around Castel Sant'Angelo), that part of Rome is a restricted zone, so there's much less car traffic. I don't find that part of Rome too noisy. Though someday, when we can spend a week (or longer) in Rome, I'd love to stay in Trastevere. I love the character of Trastevere, and to me it feels less touristy than the area near the Spanish Steps.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Hi RoseMary, it probably sounds a bit cliched, but I prefer to stay in the centre of things -- around the Campo dei Fiori. The Campo itself gets very noisy at night, but even a few steps away, perhaps around the Piazza Farnese, its becomes much quieter.

I like the area because it's extremely central -- an easy walk to the Vatican area, perhaps 30 minutes to walk to the Coliseum, a bit less to the Forum. The Ghetto, Trastevere, and Piazza Navona are really only a few minutes stroll in different directions.

One advantage of being central is that if it's really hot out and I want to pop home and change sandals or drop off shopping or put my feet up for an hour, it's very easy to do. Or to save a bit of money and have a light picnic lunch in your apartment with fruits and cheese and bread from the markets.

The area around the Borghese and the Spanish Steps is lovely, but just a bit out of the way for my tastes. Particularly as June is so hot and humid in Rome. I love to walk, but if I've been on my feet all day and they're hot and tired, it's nice to have lots of dinner or evening gelato options close by.

If you haven't yet checked out the Slow Travel website, there is lots of great info and apartment reviews from all over Rome. I've had great luck renting from Dolce Roma but there are many other good options, too. www.slowtrav.com

I really think your plan to stay in Rome for two weeks will work out so well for you. You won't feel pressured to rush around in the heat, which I think has soured many visitors on Rome. Trying to cram too much in too short a time is to my mind the quickest way to spoil a vacation.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Hi RoseMary, it probably sounds a bit cliched, but I prefer to stay in the centre of things -- around the Campo dei Fiori. The Campo itself gets very noisy at night, but even a few steps away, perhaps around the Piazza Farnese, its becomes much quieter.

I like the area because it's extremely central -- an easy walk to the Vatican area, perhaps 30 minutes to walk to the Coliseum, a bit less to the Forum. The Ghetto, Trastevere, and Piazza Navona are really only a few minutes stroll in different directions.

One advantage of being central is that if it's really hot out and I want to pop home and change sandals or drop off shopping or put my feet up for an hour, it's very easy to do. Or to save a bit of money and have a light picnic lunch in your apartment with fruits and cheese and bread from the markets.

The area around the Borghese and the Spanish Steps is lovely, but just a bit out of the way for my tastes. Particularly as June is so hot and humid in Rome. I love to walk, but if I've been on my feet all day and they're hot and tired, it's nice to have lots of dinner or evening gelato options close by.

If you haven't yet checked out the Slow Travel website, there is lots of great info and apartment reviews from all over Rome. I've had great luck renting from Dolce Roma but there are many other good options, too. www.slowtrav.com

I really think your plan to stay in Rome for two weeks will work out so well for you. You won't feel pressured to rush around in the heat, which I think has soured many visitors on Rome. Trying to cram too much in too short a time is to my mind the quickest way to spoil a vacation.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 11:31 PM

If it should happen that you fancy a sojourn outside the city, try to take advantage of the mid-week days you'll have - or else go on a Sunday, and avoid one of the "what shall we do" Mondays!

Officially at least the schools here don't finish until June 11th, so finding a last-minute night or two in places that would be busy over the weekends won't be diffucult.

When on a similar trip some time back, nearby Sperlonga suited us very well...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/lazio&page=2

Whether it seems hot or not is likely to depend on what you're accustomed to - although, even a hundred miles further south, early June is rarely unpleasantly so...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/recjun

You might try the "Climate" link here for some general statistics.. and then their Travel Planner for an idea of what your chosen period might get by way of temperatures, rainy days etc..

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/Italy/Rome.htm

Peter
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 06:48 AM
ira

Hi RM,

Rome is not one of my favorite places, but I think that it is worth at least a week.

I would do 1 week Florence or 1 week Venice or 1 week on the Amalfi Coast along with 1 week in Rome.

Enjoy your visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -