Reload this Page >

Rome 4* hotel advice?

Search

Rome 4* hotel advice?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Kerry

Rome 4* hotel advice?

My husband and I will be vacationing in Rome for a week and would like to stay in a 3-4* hotel in a central location (Spanish Steps/Via Veneto). Does anyone have any particular recommendations? We are looking at Londra and Cargill, Bailey's, Hotel Bernini, Ludovisi Palace, and Mascagni. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Wayne

Kerry--<BR>You need to consider my favorite spot, just off the Via Veneto and about a 10 minute walk to the Spanish steps. It's the Hotel La Residenza, on Via Emilia. It is in a nice, safe location, just south of the ancient city walls and the Villa Borghese, with lots of nice shops and restaurants around. They have a web site whose address has been recently changed, but I think you can find it on the web easily. The staff speaks good English, the breakfast is great, the rooms are very good, and the hotel isn't real large so you feel as if you are in something more like a little inn. Also, if you are driving and you plan ahead of time, you can get them to save a spot for parking your car right in front of the hotel. Give them a try; I've never been disappointed. The price for this kind of place (it has A/C and elevator) in a nice part of town is very reasonable.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Jess

Try the website www.charmingitaly.com. All of the hotels I contacted were very nice and prompt in their response. You also get wonderful photos of the rooms and common spaces. <BR>I'm staying in the Hotel Santa Chiara which is 3 stars on the Piazza della Minerva and is well reviewed by the Fodorites.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Kelly

After alot of research, we had narrowed our choices to Londra & Cargill, Residenza Cellini and Hotel Tiziano - all very nice. I can only comment that we booked at Cellini because the people were amazing, and you get alot for the price. They also have cheaper rates for long stays and cash payment. It is a small hotel with no restaurant but we enjoy trying different restaurants each night. Bailey's looks great but is overpriced. Of the list, I'd go for L&C due to price. You'll be out touring most of the time anyway. Check out Cellini though on charmingrome.com. (No, to reply to previous posts, there is no booking fee). Good luck! PS: Contact each hotel, the rate is usually different from the posting and sometimes can be less.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Kerry

Thanks very much for the speedy replies! I have added these suggestions to our list of options. I also discovered that contacting the hotel directly resulted in rate quotes that were considerably less than those listed on their web sites or via online hotel booking sites - a pleasant surprise! Thanks again.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Tina

Kerry -<BR><BR>I was flipping thru Conde Nast Traveller the other night, fantasizing about 4 or 5 * places I'd like to stay at --- you can find the 2002 Gold List online thru following site:<BR>http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/<BR><BR>You're asking about a hotel on Via Veneto? The Westin Excelsior may fit the bill.<BR><BR>Westin Excelsior, 73.2 overall<BR>http://www.starwood.com/westin/index.html<BR>39-06-47081<BR>CN Traveller describes the Westin as, <BR>"recently renovated, and its' Via Veneto location is "perfect for shopping." "Larger than expected" rooms are "ornate and plush." Most guests pass on the restaurant and opt for the "many great places right down the street," recommended by the "excellent concierge." --- $$$$; 316 rooms <BR><BR>Personally, I'd prefer one of the other accommadations listed, either the Hotel Eden (Spanish Steps area) or the Grand Hotel de la Minerve (behind the Pantheon).<BR><BR>St. Regis Grand Hotel<BR>www.stregis.com/grandrome<BR>39-06-47091<BR><BR>Hotel Hassler Villa Medici<BR>www.hotelhasslerroma.com<BR>39-06-699340<BR><BR>Hotel Eden<BR>www.hotel-eden.it<BR>39-06-478121<BR><BR>Grand Hotel de la Minerve<BR>www.hotel-invest.com<BR>39-06-695201<BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:51 AM
tttt

`<BR>Any others?

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Angela

I would also like to recommend La Residenza. My 82 year old father, sister and I stayed there last year for a few days and were very happy with our accomodations. The breakfast buffet had a lot of choices and the staff was very helpful.