Reload this Page >

Romantic Road info

Search

Romantic Road info

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Cousin Oliver

Romantic Road info

I'm starting my trip in Vienna, Austria and then working my way toward Germany; the Romantic Road. I'd like to know is it better to take the trains from town to town or just rent a car? I've driven in Europe before so that's not a problem. I just want to be able to see a town that looks interesting, stop and stay there a night or two if I want. But, I also want the best view from a window. If that's by taking a train, then I'll do that. Which one did you do and would you do it again? Thanks.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Therese

Drove it. Liked it. Can't compare it to a train, but the drive is plenty scenic.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Steve Mueller

<BR>Definitely rent a car. Trains just cannot provide the flexibility that you need to explore the Romantic Road. You can pick a car up in Munich and return it in Frankfurt.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Joe

Definitely rent a car. There are too many places to see near, rather than along the route.<BR><BR>If you haven't already found the following website, you might want to check it out. It may give you some ideas about places to stop at.<BR><BR>We especially enjoyed the churches at Creglingen and Rottenbuch.<BR><BR>http://www.romanticroad.com/<BR><BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Clare

Cousin Oliver,<BR>I would probably hire a car to use between the smaller towns which will give you flexiblity should you decide to stop and check places out. Once you hit a major city and are tired of driving, you can drop your car off and then catch trains in between the major cities. The ICE trains are fantastic and much better than driving if you don't need to stop off in between and are okay for transport at your destination. - Clare

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:06 PM
Kathy

Thanks to advise from this forum a few years ago, we stopped in Steyr and Melk on our way from Munich to Vienna. The abbey in Melk is not to be believed- absolutely stunning. In Steyr we stayed at the Hotel Mader. A lovely hotel in a charming little town. We went a little out of the way- off the autobahn- but the drive along the Danube was worth it, as well as our stops along the way.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:13 PM
ann

Definitely a car.<BR>We did part of the Romantic Road last summer, and I can't imagine any other way.<BR>If you see something fantastic, you can stop, wonder around, soak up some culture...... There are great places a little bit off the beaten path that you can explore, only in a car.<BR>some of the greatest hotels are a little bit out of twon as well<BR>Have a great trip.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:10 PM
Victor

Yes, you must have a car to do this romantic route. there are so many small villages with lot of scenery. And if you are lucky, you may come across some village fairs or carnivals like what we encountered. This whole route has enough going for a week but we only had a few days here. www.vgpma.com/travel/