romantic paris hotel

Oct 22nd, 2001, 11:04 AM
Neal

romantic paris hotel

Looking for a hotel, left bank with room with a balcony. I am an early to bed guy and my girl is not and she likes to sip wine and eat cheese and watch the activity below as she will be up for a few hours more. Under two hundred. Is it Possible?

Oct 22nd, 2001, 11:35 AM
hmmm

Sounds to me like you're going to need more than a romantic hotel if you're going to bed hours before your girlfriend. Eating cheese while my boyfriend is sound asleep - doesn't sound like a pefect Parisian vacation to me.

Oct 22nd, 2001, 12:08 PM
Shannan

Neal,

Just got back from Paris yesterday. Hope your vacation is not planned for the immediate future. There is plenty unrest in Paris right now and a nasty strike going on that is effecting larger museum openings. If you are American you WILL encounter openly hostile attitudes coming from those with sympathy for those with which we are at war. There is also massive protesting against the French Government by Algerians for atrocities committed against them some years ago.

Those cautions aside... There are very few places that afford both a balcony to SIT on and also provoding enough sound proofing to allow sleep.

Your sweetie might need to comprimise on an interesting pedestrian area to look down on from the window that is sound proofed. You, in turn should ensure that she gets plenty of street cafe time to get her people
watching/wine drinking fix!

I can whole heartedly tell you that the Minerve hotel would be a poor choice if sleeping is on the list of things to do. My best suggestion is make sure the room is soudproof if you choose a room facing the street.

I, personally would veto any cheese eating while I try for sleep. Paris is a town crammed full of stinky cheese!!

Oct 22nd, 2001, 05:29 PM
Surlok

Naal,

You're looking for a balconied room in Paris, right?

Here are a few reasonably priced hotels, with rooms with a balcony:

http://www.cybevasion.com/hot/france...sentation.html

http://www.123france.com/europe/fran...s/hofamius.htm

http://www.pariserve.com/tour-notre-dame/english.htm

http://www.1stparishotels.com/hotels/Panth_Paris.htm

They are all in the Rive Gauche, which I personally prefer to the Rive Droite.

Good luck, and have a great stay in Paris,

S

Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:07 AM
topper

ttt

Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:53 AM
paristraveler

shannen,
did you have a trip report? I'm curious to learn more about your experience, I am thinking of going soon and it sounds like you encountered many unpleasantries and not much welcome for being american...did they know you were american, were you unwelcome, did you feel safe?

Oct 23rd, 2001, 11:58 AM
karen

Shannon, I experienced the exact opposite from you while in Paris. I found the French to be so kind and wonderful to me. Never had a problem with anyone. Maybe different temperments and personalities.

Oct 23rd, 2001, 12:01 PM
karen

Sorry. Forgot to mention the hotel where I stayed. It was in the 1st district. The Brighton Hotel. My room was extremely large but wasn't one of the newly renovated rooms which was fine with me. View of the Louvre, Tuileries Gardens, Notre Dame, d'orsay museum, Seine River, Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomph. It was on the Rue de Rivoli which can get noisy but the double set of french doors blocks out all noise. I loved the staff as well.

Oct 23rd, 2001, 12:17 PM
puzzled

Are there decent hotels on the Left Bank with balconies and soundproofing for under $200? I would think maybe nearer to the Montparnesse area, or in the Latin Quarter ..a better bet for charm,decent room and perhaps a view of the street would be in the Marais...But I do agree with hmmmm...why would you go to Paris to go to bed early and leave your girlfriend alone eating cheese??

Oct 23rd, 2001, 12:18 PM
x

Neal-Why are you looking for a "romantic Paris hotel" if you want to sleep and she wants to eat cheese? Or is this a new kind of Romance?

Oct 23rd, 2001, 12:20 PM
nigel

The Hotel Lutece, on the Ille St Louis, it doesn't have balconies but the window sills are very wide and you can sit in them and look over the rooftops or down at the street, and there is a great cheese shop(Frommagerie) across the street.Bon appetite~

Oct 23rd, 2001, 03:02 PM
Christina

There have been periodic questions on this board about a Parisian hotel with balconies with some good suggestions, maybe if you searched on the word balcony you could find them. On the Left Bank, I think these hotels have at least one nice room with balcony (be sure to request and be specific about that as all rooms won't have one and it will affect price): Duquesne Eiffel (www.hotelboulevard.com), Claude Bernard (corner room has balcony), Hotel de la Tour Notre Dame (www.pariserve.com, probably at upper end of your price range, 1400F), and Hotel du Pantheon.

Oct 23rd, 2001, 04:03 PM
Ken Horn

Neal- I can vouch for the Hotel Le Regent in the Latin Quarter.
61 Rue Dauphine. E-mail
[email protected] Ask for a room on the top floor (5th I believe) with a balcony facing the street ($110). Right in the middle of everything. Two bistros right across the street. Larger rooms on lower floors don't have balconies and are more expensive ($160)
Good luck-

Oct 23rd, 2001, 06:35 PM
Surlok

Puzzled,

Most hotels I reccommended, and so did Christina, are in the Quartier Latin, except for the Jardin de L'Odeon, that is in Saint Germain. The rates are, some of them, lower than 150 US$ (Hotel Familia), but none of them higher than 200 US$, unless for Hotel du Pantheon.

Ken,

The Hotel Le Regent is in Saint Germain, not Latin Quarter. I didn't stay there, but right across the street, at Hotel Dauphine once, and at Hotel D'Aubusson, twice, for I simply love that location.

Regards,

S

Oct 23rd, 2001, 06:54 PM
stillpuzzled

Thank you Surlok,I must admit that when we are in Paris each year, I am never able to find a hotel I like that costs less than $200 a night-the D'Aubusson was one that we passed up on as it was more than $200-maybe it is the time of year, we go in the fall..and we always stay right off the St Germain on rue Jacob..next trip, I'm getting my hotel from you!!

Oct 23rd, 2001, 07:50 PM
Surlok

Stillpuzzled,

I didn't say that the Aubusson (4 stars and not in my list to the OP) cost less than 200 dollars, but the other hotels do. I paid 117 dollars for a single room with breakfast in the Dauphine, two years ago, less than 160 for a double in the Hotel de Luxembourg a year ago (high season), and the Familia is less than 100 dollars, although for a standard double. The balconied room is a little more, or fairly more. The Jardim de l'Odeon is priced less than 150 Euros for a double, so, I fear that you don't know where to look for good rates.

Just use the links I pasted, and they'll get you there.

Regards, and good luck, even if you're kidding me,

Surlok

Oct 23rd, 2001, 07:54 PM
notpuzzlednow

no no I am not kidding you, I will use the links and I appreciate any good hotel tips, just got confused when the D'Aubusson was mentioned..Regards,

Feb 7th, 2002, 05:32 AM
toptop

Topping

Feb 7th, 2002, 05:55 AM
ThinkingAbout

*Regarding Shannons notice of hostility against Americans*
..if there weren't a war going on, there would still be the impression by many Americans that the French are hostile to Americans..this has been going on for years and years.Sort of an urban myth-"went to Paris/France,they were so rude because we are American"-If you take two people and put them in the same situation-odds are one of them will have no complaint,the other will voice the same old line.If you think about it- it is sort of like the *Why are All Americans Fat*? thinking...I wish people would see that continuation of these tired descriptions of the way they "think" they are treated ,are just as out dated as thinking that Americans still walk around with holsters and guns shooting Indians.
Just a thought.

Feb 10th, 2002, 11:47 PM

tttttt