Reload this Page >

Romantic Honeymoon in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Heather

Thinking about a romantic June honeymoon in Italy?? Places to go, things to see in about 10-12 days. My family is originally from Sicily would like to get there. Spent 6 weeks in my younger years in the Tuscany region. Unfortunally, I forgot about all the wonderful things to see in this beautiful country. Future husband never been to Europe so he is a little hesitant. Would it be feasible for us to start somewhere and rent a car or take a train?? Any suggestions would be VERY helpful!! <BR>Thank you-Heather

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 09:31 AM
Beth

Hi Heather, <BR> <BR>I understand exactly what you are going through. My husband was also a little hesitant about our trip to Italy. But after we did it, he was amazed at how well it all went, and he loved it. It is certainly feasible to use train or car. I recommend the train for travelling between cities and the car for taking in the countryside. You might start in Rome, then rent a car to go south -- Sicily, Amalfi, Positano, Pompeii. You could easily spend 12 days that way. Or you could take the train from Rome to Florence, then get a car to see Tuscany. Pick up a couple guidebooks and try to decide on a couple must-sees.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 01:29 PM
howard

A romantic Italian honeymoon in June? It's gotta be either Venice or the Amalfi Coast!

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 01:30 PM
howard

P.S. to my previous comment: If it's for 12 days, why not both?

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 08:25 PM
Barbara

<BR>Heather, <BR> <BR>All the suggestions are wonderful, there being no unromantic places in Italy, but in June the major destinations are crowded. If what you want for your honeymoon is relaxation, peaceful roaming, a less-touristed place, choose Sicily and discover the breathtaking and diverse country of your ancesters. There are beautiful beaches, charming towns, romantic bed and breakfasts, lower prices and warm people. Trying to do four or five destinations after the stress of a wedding can lead to total exhaustion. If more travelers knew how captivating Sicily is, it would be as heavily traveled as Italy. Use Karen Brown's guides for romantic accomodations, Fred Plotkin's Italy for the Gourmet Traveler for the best restaurant suggestions, an education about the cuisine of each region and suggestions for the little gems few tourists have discovered. Please feel free to e-mail me for more help. <BR> <BR>Buon Viaggio, <BR> <BR>Barbara

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 01:38 PM
Lourdes

Heather, I'm in the process of planning my honeymoon as well (June 2000). My future husband has never been to Europe either and is also a bit hesitant (he asked me if we had to go for 2 weeks!). I'm thinking of making Positano our base, then travelling around the Amalfi Coast for 5 days (though I'm told it might not be as easy as it sounds). Then go to Capri and rome. I'd love to do a little bit of Tuscany but I think it might be too much. I want to do everything!