Reload this Page >

Romantic dinners in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Joe

Will be in Paris Sept 16 for 1 week. Looking <BR>for a memorable(romantic,sights)restaurant to celebrate special anniversary. First timers...Thankyou

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Russell

With reluctance, I'd recommend dinner aboard the Bateaux Mouches. The good part has to do with the sights. The views don't get much better. The bad part is the food aboard, which at best is ho-hum. Far better, and certainly a romantic setting, is La Grande Cascade in the Bois de Boulogne. Very attractive, above average food, and most appropriate for a celebration.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Marty

I'd say the Jules Verne Restaurant on the Eiffel Tower, expensive, but food, service, and view are perfect. You'll feel like royalty. I don't have the phone number, but you should be able to find it in any travel book. Tell them it's a special occassion and you'd like a window table. . .nothing beats having a glass of wine and watching the sun set on Paris (in Paris when you get a table it's yours for the night - you stay as long as you want. . .they don't push you out for the next customer.) have fun!

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Alex

You may wish to consider Le Tour d'Argent in the Latin Quarter. One of the best wine cellars in the world.The food is sensational, and priced accordingly. Two Michelin stars, as I recall. And, the view is simply unbeatable. One looks up the Seine between Ile de la Cite (and a lit Notre Dame Cathedral) and Ile St. Louis into the Fourth Arrondissement. <BR>Similarly, Le Grand Vefour, in the First Arrondissement, is a two star with a spectacular decor and wine cave.The best view is inward and upward. You need to book quickly.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Lori

Alex, <BR>I believe that Le Grand Vefour is a three star. Or has this changed recently? I'm planning on dinner there in November.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Alex

Lori: <BR> <BR>I stand corrected. According to www.gourmetsociety.com. which I've used to book, Le Grand Vefour has three Michelin stars. It's still good. <BR>And, it's La Tour d'Argent (not Le...) <BR>Back to work.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 11:23 AM
xxx

ttt

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 06:47 PM
sandra

well my husband and i have been to jules verne and in the bateaux mooches(Sorry for spelling i am illiteratd ) on the boat we did the prestiege dinner cruise and we thought it was great fun, great views and good food and wine. we have done practically all the touristy romantic things and i think the boat is the best.yes it's kind of camp but when on vacation do things you wouldn;t do at home

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:02 PM
Rex

Regarding Marty's suggestion to try Jules Verne, I fear that you will not be able to get a dinner reservation with only three weeks' notice. <BR> <BR>It is a very special and wonderful place for an evening out with your wife, I just don't think you can get in there. <BR> <BR>And quite possibly the most special place I ever dined in Paris with my wife was actually outside Paris (about an hour) at Chateau d'Esclimont at St. Symphorien. If you have the money, spend the night there, or even take there by helicopter (they have a private heliport). <BR> <BR>More details about their newly redesigned website - - http://www.slh.com/france/st_symphor...el_stsdes.html - - or write to [email protected] to request reservations or info on getting there. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Russell

I'd be wary of Tour d'Argent. In recent years, it's become more Hoax Cuisine than Haute Cuisince, trading more on its reputation than how it's doing these days. Le Jules Verne would be a good choice, but your chances of getting in on short notice are slim. Of those mentioned by others, Le Grand Vefour may be your best bet. Do not wait or you'll be out of luck. The top Parisian restaurants book far in advance.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 06:04 AM
Mike

No indication of price requirements. Been over a year since I went to Le Grand Vefour, but I would budget on $200 a head - of course, any serious perusal of the wine list will provide ample opportunity to blow this figure by several orders of magnitude. It gets 19/20 in Gault Millau, as well as the 3 rosettes. I didn't think the food merited that (by which I mean that it was very good, but not the best I've had in France), but, for romance, it's got heaps going for it. <BR> <BR>Pre Catelan has had some feedback on the forum, tho I haven't eaten there. Sounds as if it fits the bill nicely, and it gets 18/20 in Gault Millau as well as two rosettes. <BR> <BR>My last, tentative suggestion would be Beauvilliers in Montmartre. I'm not sure the food cuts the mustard when compared with the others. But it is romantic, and Sacre Coeur at night is my top Paris thing.