Romania by car

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 01:43 PM
alan

Romania by car

Hi! we are beginning to plan our trip for late September/early October. I need some assistance. The plan so far is flying into Budapest and renting a car. Visiting southern Hungary and then driving into Romania. How is the driving? are there hotels and restaurants in that part of Romania. We will most likely be in western Romania maybe traveling as far east as Transylvania. Has anyone else done this independently? Please either respond here or to my e-mail.
thanks
alan

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 04:42 PM
Art

Hi Alan, I just got off the phone trying to make arraingments for my trip to Poland and Romania this year. Long story short, it looks like I'll be flying into Germany and renting a car from there. You have to be careful and insure that whoever you rent from covers crossing country lines to your destination(s). In my case some companies will not even let you cross into Romania but you must turn the car in and rent another. I also discovered that renting the car in Germany is less expensive than in Poland or Romania. Its kind of weird, but check carefully. I may be in Romania that same time as you. I plan on taking the 1st three weeks of Sept starting out in Poland and ending up in Romania. How is your Romanian coming along. Interesting language. I still have to do something about Polish.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 04:53 PM
xxx

The Romanian lady who cuts my hair flew to Munich and drove to Bucharest and back without any problems

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 11:09 PM
Dan

Hello:

Hotels are not too hard to find between Budapest and Timisoara. Timisoara is a good town with good places to stay (recommend Hotel Tommy). Although I am in the US, I have a house in Timi that may open up as a B&B sometime soon...we shall see. Driving is not too bad, but beware of horse carts, esp at night. Transylvania is beautiful but beware of the tourist traps (Vlad Dracul stuff is popular). Petty crime and car theft is common, but you only need to take the standard precautions and you will be fine.

Enjoy...dc

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Miky

Hi Alan;
I don't think you'll have a problem finding hotels and reataurants on the main routes. Of course, if you'll decide to go on "scenic routes", you'll find the view breathtaking but the roads are not always paved. Although you will be able to find charming B&B's, be cautious and check if it's indeed safe and clean. Now, aboyt traveling "sa far east as ...", Transylvania is the WEST province (starts right at the hungarian border). I will be in the area next month, thus, if you're still interested, I'll be able to add more news/infos at the end of July.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 02:19 PM
alan

Hi
Thanks for letting me know my geography is off. Yes I would be interested. Tanks to everyone thats responded so far. My mind is made up, from Budapest to Pecs east and south to Romania.
thanks again