Search

Roma Pass

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roma Pass

Ok, we only have 2 1/2 days in Rome, Oct 25th-Oct 27th, 2008. (I know we need more time;not a option)! I have been reading about the Roma Pass, and it sounds like the 2 prime advantages are going to the front of the line for the 2 museums we pick, and hopping on/off the local bus.

With that aside, are there any other advantages to the Roma Pass that I did not read about? Will Rome really be that crowded when we are there? Should we wing it, or come up off our money and by the pass???????
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It depends on which museums you plan to visit and where your hotel is and you would only need the Roma Pass (20&euro, not the Roma & Piu Pass(25&euro. If you are staying very central (Navona area) then you probably won't use much transportation. Some museums are only 6€ while others are 9-11€. For example,the coloseum/forum/palantine is 9€ (+2€ supplement for exhibits) and the Borghese is 13.50€ (includes exhibit supplements). Borghese requires reservations and to use your pass for free admission, it must be one of your fist 2 visits. You can't choose which museums you get free - it's just the first 2 where you use your pass.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for bybourbon for the info! Our hotel is near the Spanish Steps.

I was on the Roma Pass website, and it looks like the places we want to see the most are not even part of the Pass program, i.e, the Vatican and Sistine Chapel.

I guess what we are really trying to do is 1.) Have our tickets bought/paid for before we leave the US 2.) avoid the long lines 3.) get the bigest bang for the buck (or Euros)
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM

It will save you time and money. Not a lot but if you use if for the Borghese and the Colosseum then you will save 3 euros... plus you can use the local bus system for free while you're there and you'll skip the lines at the Colosseum and save maybe 30 mins in time.
We used the bus for 7 or 8 rides (including to the Vatican and the Colosseum) saving about 7 euros each.

Yes, you can choose which museums to use with the pass (and therefore get in free) just don't show your pass if you happen to go to a 'cheap' museum first!

Enjoy!

We went in November last year and it wasn't crowded but October is still a popular time to visit so I'd expect it to be busy but not packed.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks highflyer! Appreciate all the info. This board is great, I've learned so much from everyone!!!!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 02:47 PM

If you don't get the Roma pass there are also separate one day and three day transportation passes you can buy. But the per ride charge is low and we never took enough trips per day to save money on the passes. As kybourbon says, you can walk to much of what you want to see
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, vttraveler.
Does anyone know if/where I can get tickets for the Vatican and Sistine Chapel, before leaving the US? Is there a website? Sounds like the Roma Pass is NOT the way to go, for us, that is!!!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 04:47 PM

You can book a tour directly with the Vatican. They don't like you to book more than one month in advance and prefer to have your hotel fax number also.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...zi_Visite.html

If you are staying at the Spanish Steps then you would use the subway. The Vatican Museum is just a few stops from there.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, kybourbon!!! You really are helpful!
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:21 AM

I really liked the Roma Pass. I bought one for 20 euros at Termini train station and used it for free entry into Palatine Hill/Colosseum and Borghese Gallery. By going through Palatine Hill, I was able to bypass the long lines at Colosseum.

I don't remember using the pass for any other kind of discounts aside from these two places but the '3 days' of free public transportation definitely made the pass worthwhile and by the end of the whole thing, it was worth the 20 euros I spent.

Keep in mind that Vatican City is not part of Rome. It is an independent state so it wouldn't be on the pass at all.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 02:56 PM

If I was to make my reservation for the Borghese before I leave for Rome, how do I use my Roma pass for free admission? Don't you have to give a credit card when making the reservation?
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:17 PM

Gayle C - You can't use the online booking with the pass, but you can still reserve in advance. You have to call or you can get your hotel to make your reservation. You pay when you get there or show your Roma Pass. The online booking service (through ticketeria) requires payment. For info on calling:
http://www.galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/einfo.htm
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM

Back in March I had no problem making a reservation for the Borghese on their website. When we got there, we showed our Roma Passes, the reservation email print out and they gave us tickets, no problem.
I liked the Roma pass and found it to be a good deal, but I don't think it saved us any time in line. You still have to wait in line to get an entrance ticket. It's not like the Paris museum pass.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 03:54 AM

You cannot make a reservation for the Borghese online and not buy a ticket. You must call if you are using a Roma Pass and tell them that you wish to book a reservation and that you are using the pass.

It is very simple.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 08:35 AM

Thank you for the information. I will give them a call as I can see that they are already selling my date in September.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 08:59 AM

I bought Roma passes for my October trip yesterday and called this mornign to reserve my slot. Even though they are not yet selling online for this date, they confirmed my preferred time and date and gave me a confirmation #. It took 2 minutes...really simple!
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 11:16 AM

1. ROMA PASSES – There are of course two passes. The basic Roma Pass (for 20E) and the Roma Piu Pass, f/k/a the Roma Archaeological Pass (for 25E). Both give you a core choice of museums but the pricer RPP gives you a few more specialized choices. Both also give you 3-days' worth of Rome transportation. However, please note that NEITHER pass gives you free transportation on the actual Leonardo Express from the main Rome airport (FCO) to the main Rome city train station (Termini). That will still separately set you back an extra 11E or so p/p. Either is a GREAT deal and will save you money IF you use them properly. Just add up separately the cost of two big ticket items (Colosseo/Palatine Hill and the Borghese Galleries, and THEN a 3-day transportation. Big savings. Need I say more? I'm going to purchase mine online for p/u at the airport early next month.

2. – BORGHESE GALLERIES ("BG&quot TIME/DATE RESERVATION (if you have a Roma Pass) -- Yes it is true that you cannot reserve a time/date slot on the BG's website without purchasing a ticket. So if you already have either Roma Pass, to obtain your reservation do NOT call (unless you want to incur the time and expense of a transatlantic call). Instead, go to the BG's website, obtain their email address and SEND THEM AN EMAIL explaining that you will be purchasing a Roma Pass with which you will be gaining free entry and that you only require a time/date of a reservation (scope out what time and dates are available first and tell them your choice). They WILL send you a return email with your time/date slot confirmation. They did this for me a few weeks ago.

So to recapitulate:

1. DO get a Roma Pass (the more inexpensive one is probably the better deal); and

2. If you've purchased the above, EMAIL the Borghese Gallery for your reservation.

Old Sep 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM

Hi Welike2bike,

We will be in Rome the first week of Oct and wanted to see the the Vitican/Sistine Chapel as well with limited time. We booked our tickets via Viator (see link) with a skip the line opt. You have the choice to select with a tour or just purchasing the ticket. You will be provided a time slot. Now I have not gone with the tour company before but so far so good. I did do some research on them via tripadvisor. I hear lines are 2-3hrs so I say you come all that way book it and enjoy.

http://www.viator.com/pasSearch.jspa...ctivities=from

PS: Make sure to dress for both locations...no shorts ect (see the Vatician website)

PPS:I know the link looks long but it works, I just tried it.

Enjoy
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Neotraveler6! That's exactly the advice I was looking for!!!!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:00 PM

pointofnoreturn: Exactly where in the termini station did you get pass. My daughter is going next week and it would be helpful to tell her where in that station she could pick it up.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -