Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

rolling duffel vs expandable suiter? Travelpro vs High Sierra? Samsonite vs Briggs&Riley? Spinner vs. Inline? Got a luggage story to share?

Search

rolling duffel vs expandable suiter? Travelpro vs High Sierra? Samsonite vs Briggs&Riley? Spinner vs. Inline? Got a luggage story to share?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it's another luggage thread!

I'm getting down to the wire on buying two new pieces of luggage I need to haul stuff across the Atlantic. I've nixed my original idea of buying expensive hardsided polycarbonate luggage. I want something with external pockets.

I'm looking at 36" wheeled duffel from High Sierra that is under $100 bucks. I'm also looking at 30" wheeled duffels that are not only smaller but more expenisve. Since this is not going to be my regular trip luggage, I'm very tempted to go for the High Sierra. Anybody have any bad experiences to report?

Re spinner wheels: Are they only available on polycarbonate hardsides? Do they really make a difference?

Briggs and Riley luggage looks gorgeous and has a longer telescoping handle than other luggage I'm looking at. Is it worth they price? It's expensive stuff.

I'm also thinking of buying an expandable suiter. Should I got with standard Samsonite, or is there a much better brand? I'd love to get someeting ultralightweight with self-repairing zippers and good wheels, long handle.

Thanks for reading this far!

All recommendations and chatter welcome!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:24 AM

I just bought the TravelPro set that is on sale at Macy's (on line) I haven't used it yet, but it looks sturdy and feels light.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:38 AM

I thought the rolling duffel would be great when I bought one. In reality, for me, the clothing shifted to the bottom and made the thing a bear to roll on cobbled streets. It keep tipping over. So? Now I just have a simple, 21inch roller from 9West that no one evidently has. Its turquoise.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:44 AM

I have the High Sierra rolling duffel, in fact I have both sizes, and I love them. They are much improved over the older version. The bottom is perfect for flat clothes, it now has straps to hold them in place and it is expandable. The top is wonderful for all the odd sized things as well as shoes. The outside now has straps that tighten down and hold everything from shifting as SusieCII says, so it is a piece of cake for rolling, as well as they put a semi flat surface on one end so it can also stand upright. It is incredible cheep compared to other luggage and it outlasts all my other suitcases.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:51 AM

I've had a Briggs & Riley for almost 3 years and really like it (haven't had to use the guarantee, at least not yet). It's 24" with wheels and is expandable which "locks" in place - really handy. Plenty of external pockets. It's been to Europe twice, Canada, various places in US and is going to Latin America next week and still looks new. Got a really good deal on sale - they were discontinuing the color (burgundy). Turns out, it's pretty easy to spot at baggage claim. Would definitely recommend it.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Shariesue, suzanna and SuzieCil -- Have the three of you considered forming a band? ;-)

This is just the kind of info I am looking for.

SuzieCil, what kind of rolling duffel did you mistakenly buy? What it possible to pack clothes from the bottom, or was there only one zipper on top?

Suzanna,

What sizes of duffels do you have? How long have you had them? Any negatives you can think of?

Sharisue,

What is the biggest piece of luggage in the set? Any problems with the way it is laid out in the interior? How are the exterior pockets? Is it hard to maneuver because it's big?
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've never paid more than $85 for a suitcase, usually $50. Last forever, no problems There's some special reason you need such a gigantic bag as the 36", I guess?

As someone already mentioned, I prefer a normal rectangle suitcase configuration. I don't like the way duffle bags pack and handle myself.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:59 AM

We have a set of the TravelPro --different sizes -- and they have been very sturdy and traveled a lot, including to europe twice. I've been very happy.

I think good luggage is worth investing in. Our last literally fell apart over the years (broken zipper). once we found our bag duck-taped shut on the baggage claim carousel.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks dfr4848,

I plan to go kick the tires on some Briggs and Riley, but that ticket price is daunting. Frankly, it's the prettiest luggage around and that's what tempts me. But I may have to come to my senses about it, because by and large, this luggage is sitting in the closet once it makes this trip. Ordinarily I do carry-on solo.

If I save enough money on the big pieces, maybe I'll treat myself to Briggs and Riley carryon.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Dina4,

From pictures, I've liked the interor organization of the travelpros.

Suze,

Yes, there is a special reason. I'm actually moving to Europe. Most of what I'm moving I am shipping via freighter, but some stuff I need right up until I leave. Plus, I've got two cats I'm carrying! So in addition to clothes to last me a month, until literally my ship comes in, I've got to carry some cat supplies, some personal documents, some books (I'm going there to work) blah blah. Got it?
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

PS Suze, my spouse loves duffels. I tend to be with you on them.

Also, when I wrote "Got it?" in my last post I didn't mean to sound abrupt or as if your question was unwelcome. I just wondered if I was drawing a clear enough picture. I want to buy a big bag because I'm afraid I'm going to find myself the night before my departure needing that extra space. Some stuff I really can't leave behind.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Nope, it wasn't a mistake. I thought it would be good - it just wasn't for me.

But now, I'm curious, what are you doing? I assume you're moving.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm moving. I'm shipping most stuff via frieghter. But I've got stuff I just can't because I'll need it right away when I land, plus enough closes to get me through until the shipment arrives.

What brand of duffel didn't you like?
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 08:23 AM

I have the 26" and the 32":
http://www.ebags.com/products/index....rceID=MSNSHOPP
I prefer the dropped bottom duffel bag. I use to have the older version in a 36". It shifted too much but it held a ton of stuff. I only used the 36" if I were only making one stop and not traveling on the trains AND I was in a shopping mode. The 32" is great,it holds enough for a 3week trip...obviously I don't pack as light as I would like to.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

thanks, susanna. I hope I can actually look at these sizes in a NYC luggage store. I'd much prefer to get the 32" inch but I'll kick myself if I start packing and realize I needed that extra four inches.

Thanks all!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:07 AM

If your in NYC check out Altman Luggage down on Orchard Street. Good selection and very competitively priced. I got a nice Eagle Creek 26 inch rolling bag there that is incredibly lightweight.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

I'm up in Morningside Heights so I was thinking of going to Innovation Luggae in the 50s or in the 40s.

In this heat, a long subway ride and hauling luggage back sounds grim!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:56 PM

I thought for sure I would go with Travel Pro until I got to a store and compared it side by side with a 24" expandable Briggs & Riley in the Transcend Line. Go FEEL the difference. I'll test it out next month.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Hi Fall

If you are buying the 36" to travel from A to B, have a good think as to how much you will use it other times. If it isn't often, I would buy the cheapest I could find. I know my larger suitcases now live in the closet, whereas our smaller ones are used all the time. I now invest in high quality small to med. luggage.

For what it's worth, I love my 70cm (27&quot Hedgren Great American wheeled duffle. It never tips over when it's standing up. It has tapes to lock the clothes down, and weighs nothing. However, I think it is hard to find in the US, and is not at the cheap end.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 08:06 PM

I never spend a lot on luggage. the airlines through the years have destroyed several pieces. If it wasn't for the lining, all of my undergarments would have been exposed in the baggage claim area. Both American and Delta have bought me new luggage. I bought a new suitcase while in Italy, only to pick it up and the hand pull was ripped out and one leg was missing and now will not stand up. American Airlines will not accept claims for hand pulls or broken legs. Even the hard-sided luggage was bashed in, they must have placed some heavy freight on top of it. Anyway, lesson learned buy cheap and buy often, buy expensive and buy often.

Clea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -